Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   What do you think about Santana? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/16660-what-do-you-think-about-santana.html)

UPtimist 09-01-2006 07:46 AM

What do you think about Santana?

(Edit: Ahem, The title *was* supposed to read something along the lines of "What do you Think About Santana" or something. Could you fix that? :P)

Inspired by the "Do you Like Bon Jovi" (or something) thread, I'm sort of asking the same thing, except about Santana. Also at the same time asking who knows him and who doesn't, if it's even possible to now know Santana.

Santana is maybe the most amazing band/artist (you know, Santana is actually a band, but Carlos Santana is of course the soul of it) I've ever known, starting back in the 60's and still making great albums, with adjusting perfectly with the styles of the day. Santana's an amazing guitarist and the music is much more music than most these days. To me, it's maybe the most influential music there is. So, I'm just wondering...

bulldog 09-01-2006 08:27 AM

it's ok, never really got into Santana.... I listen mostly to Country music and Hard Rock/ death metal.

Stoofa 09-01-2006 10:16 AM

Carlos Santana is crazy talented but I find his music mediocre. My mum loves Santana though, and I'd much rather listen to Santana at her house than Sting or Elton John.

Spiwak 09-01-2006 11:54 AM

My dad loves the guy. I don't. He's a good guitarist, for sure, but I'd be lying if I said I like listening to his music. It's also really not my type of music, so I guess my opinion doesn't matter.

beat!the!champ! 09-01-2006 03:22 PM

I've only seen their set from the Woodstock movie and I thought they put up a good show, but I'm definitely not impressed by Carlos' guitar playing.

I usually appreciate simple-but-effective guitar work, but in his case, it just doesn't work for me.

So as a band, I think they're ok. As a guitar player, Carlos isn't great. And as a collaboration artist, someone's gotta stop him. Please.

lumi 09-01-2006 03:51 PM

I have very limited knowledge of his music, so I can't say. I've heard one of his newer albums (Shaman or something), and I didn't like it. I've heard one of his more popular songs on the radio (oyo como va, or something), and I like that.

Stoofa 09-01-2006 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
I have very limited knowledge of his music, so I can't say. I've heard one of his newer albums (Shaman or something), and I didn't like it. I've heard one of his more popular songs on the radio (oyo como va, or something), and I like that.

"Oye Como Va" is a Tito Puente tune and it's way better when Tito and his band play it. Check it out, please. Tito was a God amongst men IMO. My favourite Tito recording is of he and La Lupe performing "Pata Pata." I like it even better than Miriam Makeba's original version!

SakSquash 09-02-2006 12:37 AM

Suckssssssssss.

SCRUGAtes13 09-02-2006 02:39 AM

edit: nah, it was who i was thinking of, carlos santana.

well, as i said before he's got great talent but after he sold out to popular demand and starting working with mainstream rappers it destroyed any soul they had in the first place. i think the gypsy kings own them.

pinkgothic 09-02-2006 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoofa
Carlos Santana is crazy talented but I find his music mediocre.

I agree - same here.

Had you asked me a few years ago, I think I would have answered "It is excellent", but my musical taste has been one thing which's changed the most about me, so I have to say "I don't like Santana." - T'is just not my style.

Trumgottist 09-02-2006 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoofa
Carlos Santana is crazy talented but I find his music mediocre. My mum loves Santana though, and I'd much rather listen to Santana at her house than Sting or Elton John.

:crazy::pan: What do you mean? Sting is great!

Lee in Limbo 09-02-2006 10:26 AM

For over thirty years, Carlos Santana has been an amazing songwriter, guitarist and musical arranger, who has fostered some of the most amazing musicians and songwriters from three generations. Whether you enjoy his music or not, you have to appreciate that he is one of the most beloved band leaders in the rock pantheon.

UPtimist 09-02-2006 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCRUGAtes13
edit: nah, it was who i was thinking of, carlos santana.

well, as i said before he's got great talent but after he sold out to popular demand and starting working with mainstream rappers it destroyed any soul they had in the first place. i think the gypsy kings own them.

The rappers are great, it's the... poppers (:P) that aren't good, like Michelle Branch. That's just pop, with nothing special. With the rappers and all, there is still a unique sound to them. But anyways, The two newest albums, Shaman and All That I Am, even though good, have been a bit more into that direction, and don't compare to Supernatural. I mean, that album won 9 Grammies, and even though I don't really care about such things, it won them for a reason. That album is just amazing.

Stoofa 09-02-2006 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumgottist
:crazy::pan: What do you mean? Sting is great!

:r Sting.