You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat What do you think about Santana?

View Poll Results: What do you think about Santana?
It is excellent. 3 13.04%
It is OK. 8 34.78%
I don't like Santana. 7 30.43%
Say who? 2 8.70%
Mandatory "other" 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2006, 07:46 AM   #1
Life and times of...

Default What do you think about Santana?

(Edit: Ahem, The title *was* supposed to read something along the lines of "What do you Think About Santana" or something. Could you fix that? )

Inspired by the "Do you Like Bon Jovi" (or something) thread, I'm sort of asking the same thing, except about Santana. Also at the same time asking who knows him and who doesn't, if it's even possible to now know Santana.

Santana is maybe the most amazing band/artist (you know, Santana is actually a band, but Carlos Santana is of course the soul of it) I've ever known, starting back in the 60's and still making great albums, with adjusting perfectly with the styles of the day. Santana's an amazing guitarist and the music is much more music than most these days. To me, it's maybe the most influential music there is. So, I'm just wondering...

Last edited by UPtimist; 09-01-2006 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:27 AM   #2
Second Degree Black Belt

it's ok, never really got into Santana.... I listen mostly to Country music and Hard Rock/ death metal.

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 09-01-2006, 10:16 AM   #3
Roar?

Carlos Santana is crazy talented but I find his music mediocre. My mum loves Santana though, and I'd much rather listen to Santana at her house than Sting or Elton John.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:54 AM   #4
is not wierd

My dad loves the guy. I don't. He's a good guitarist, for sure, but I'd be lying if I said I like listening to his music. It's also really not my type of music, so I guess my opinion doesn't matter.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:22 PM   #5

I've only seen their set from the Woodstock movie and I thought they put up a good show, but I'm definitely not impressed by Carlos' guitar playing.

I usually appreciate simple-but-effective guitar work, but in his case, it just doesn't work for me.

So as a band, I think they're ok. As a guitar player, Carlos isn't great. And as a collaboration artist, someone's gotta stop him. Please.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:51 PM   #6

I have very limited knowledge of his music, so I can't say. I've heard one of his newer albums (Shaman or something), and I didn't like it. I've heard one of his more popular songs on the radio (oyo como va, or something), and I like that.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:49 PM   #7
Roar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
I have very limited knowledge of his music, so I can't say. I've heard one of his newer albums (Shaman or something), and I didn't like it. I've heard one of his more popular songs on the radio (oyo como va, or something), and I like that.
"Oye Como Va" is a Tito Puente tune and it's way better when Tito and his band play it. Check it out, please. Tito was a God amongst men IMO. My favourite Tito recording is of he and La Lupe performing "Pata Pata." I like it even better than Miriam Makeba's original version!
Old 09-02-2006, 12:37 AM   #8
Banned User

Suckssssssssss.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:39 AM   #9
Party On Dudes

edit: nah, it was who i was thinking of, carlos santana.

well, as i said before he's got great talent but after he sold out to popular demand and starting working with mainstream rappers it destroyed any soul they had in the first place. i think the gypsy kings own them.

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop

Last edited by SCRUGAtes13; 09-02-2006 at 02:44 AM.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:56 AM   #10
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoofa
Carlos Santana is crazy talented but I find his music mediocre.
I agree - same here.

Had you asked me a few years ago, I think I would have answered "It is excellent", but my musical taste has been one thing which's changed the most about me, so I have to say "I don't like Santana." - T'is just not my style.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 09-02-2006, 09:01 AM   #11
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoofa
Carlos Santana is crazy talented but I find his music mediocre. My mum loves Santana though, and I'd much rather listen to Santana at her house than Sting or Elton John.
What do you mean? Sting is great!
Old 09-02-2006, 10:26 AM   #12
It's Hard To Be Humble

For over thirty years, Carlos Santana has been an amazing songwriter, guitarist and musical arranger, who has fostered some of the most amazing musicians and songwriters from three generations. Whether you enjoy his music or not, you have to appreciate that he is one of the most beloved band leaders in the rock pantheon.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:48 PM   #13
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRUGAtes13
edit: nah, it was who i was thinking of, carlos santana.

well, as i said before he's got great talent but after he sold out to popular demand and starting working with mainstream rappers it destroyed any soul they had in the first place. i think the gypsy kings own them.
The rappers are great, it's the... poppers () that aren't good, like Michelle Branch. That's just pop, with nothing special. With the rappers and all, there is still a unique sound to them. But anyways, The two newest albums, Shaman and All That I Am, even though good, have been a bit more into that direction, and don't compare to Supernatural. I mean, that album won 9 Grammies, and even though I don't really care about such things, it won them for a reason. That album is just amazing.

Last edited by UPtimist; 09-02-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:55 PM   #14
Roar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist
What do you mean? Sting is great!
Sting.