Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   I need help from creative minds!!! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/16657-i-need-help-creative-minds.html)

bysmitty 09-01-2006 06:08 AM

I need help from creative minds!!!

Okay, here is my predicament. I have to name a server. This server is going to be our new file server at my office so everyone I work with will be referring to it numerous times everyday for the next 6+ years. Right now, the current file servers are named ‘Alice’ and ‘Mel’. Alice will be replaced with the one I have to name so common usage will be things like. “Hey, those files are under my employee folder on ______” or “I transferred the client data from Mel over to _____ yesterday.”

Requirements for the name:
-It should be short and easy to remember
-No abbreviations
-No profanity (obviously)

I really need help with this. This duty has been handed off from person to person and now it has landed on my head. Please post any and all ideas you have! I need the name by monday. Please help, I’m desperate!

...bysmitty

Jelena 09-01-2006 06:13 AM

I think it should be called Jelena bysmitty of course. :D

bulldog 09-01-2006 06:26 AM

Let’s see you live in Ohio, right use something from that state like…..

Sloopy – part of the official rock song

Buckeye

Scarlet

Cardinal

Or something from a movie like The Enforcer, or Hooch from (Turner and Hooch)

Maybe pit bull, serpent something along those lines. Maybe this helps? Don’t know but I hope so. Thanks for asking us to help.

UPtimist 09-01-2006 06:36 AM

Since Alice is a very good Tom Waits song, how about another Waits song with a name on it? :D

There'd be Roxanne, Martha, Louise, Rosie... Well, this might be just random shooting when we don't know anything more about how they'll be used and how the last one was named, but of course, this shouldn't be such and important decision. Can't you get anything from like the model or anything of the server?

Fairygdmther 09-01-2006 07:03 AM

Well, it could be Mini or Minnie - said the same, but spelled whichever way you want.

RLacey 09-01-2006 07:07 AM

Have a male server. And call it Robert. After me.

RLacey - Extremely Modest™.

Karmillo 09-01-2006 07:12 AM

RLacey is an abbreviation :P

Call it Brian

Huz 09-01-2006 08:09 AM

You need to get a naming scheme going, so you know you've made a lasting impact on the company. You can be rotting in your deathbed, safe in the knowledge that some poor sap has been lumbered with the task of naming their new SuperTron 3000 after a fictional alien race of between 3 and 5 characters. And you can laugh.

My advice on a theme: don't go for animal noises of three characters. You kinda run out after 'moo' and 'baa'.

If you can find a decent theme that already incorporates 'Alice' and 'Mel', you can win the respect and adoration of your peers by continuing it.

I must say, considering you're a hardware geek, I'm shocked that you don't already name your home PCs. Shocked!

bysmitty 09-01-2006 08:35 AM

Well the current theme is around Alice's Restaurant. Mell was the cook and Alice was the waitress. No one is really looking to continue that though and no one want to call the server 'Flo', which would be the next name in the theme.

As far as my home computers go, I'm not creative enough to think of 'names' for them. Their computer names are exactly what they are such as 'p43pt2-desk' (Pentium 4 3.2ghz desktop), 'a643700-lap' (Athlon 64 3700+ laptop), and 'pd820-desk' (Pentium D 820 desktop).

Thx for all the suggestions so far guys. Please keep them coming. So far my favorites are 'crow', 'manny', and 'hal'. None are 'it' yet though. This is tough.

...bysmitty

Squinky 09-01-2006 08:52 AM

Uranus! "Hey, those files are under my employee folder on Uranus!"

Or if you want to be slightly less immature about it, how 'bout Pluto?

AFGNCAAP 09-01-2006 09:00 AM

If I were you, I'd pick a name of a computer/database taken from some adventure game: Sidney, Eddie, AM, LINC, Oracle... ;)

simpson_yellow 09-01-2006 09:29 AM

It has to be Kim. No question.

Jelena 09-01-2006 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simpson_yellow

Good One! :)

Gordon Bennett 09-01-2006 04:36 PM

Sue, obviously.

lumi 09-01-2006 04:54 PM

At my previous workplace, we used mountain names like Everest and Shasta. You could go with the name of a local mountain if you have any in Ohio.

Jatsie 09-01-2006 05:01 PM

How about "Jerry" after Ohio's most famous resisdent? ;)

fov 09-01-2006 07:53 PM

My vote's for Hedwig.

Squinky 09-01-2006 08:13 PM

Six inches forward and five inches back, I've got an, I've got an angry inch!

stepurhan 09-01-2006 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simpson_yellow

Are you saying bysmitty's servers are never going to be respectable? :P

How about Griff? (He's in the green top. Mel's in the red)

Or you could use planet names while there are still eight available.

samIamsad 09-02-2006 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bysmitty
Requirements for the name:
-It should be short and easy to remember
-No abbreviations
-No profanity (obviously)

Since this is all about efficiency for you, I'd go for Tom, Tim. Or just call him,.. er it Bob. In any case, a name that's just as short as Mel seems most appropriate to me. :)

How does that sound? “I transferred the client data from Mel over to Tom yesterday.” Sounds about right to me. :D