Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Help me spend my birthday money! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/16132-help-me-spend-my-birthday-money.html)

I Love Cookiemonster 07-30-2006 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
I'd stash it till there are better games out there. Right now, 360 doesn't have that many games that make it worth 400 $'s and the games for it are too damn expensive. If you can be patient, there will be a much richer library by next year, and some of the games will have dropped down in price.

Don't forget that 360 will probably go down in price around the time that PS3 is coming out. And i read somewhere that they want to lower the price yearly

undeaf 07-30-2006 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SakSquash
If I don't hear my 360 making noise, then it's not noisy. See how that works?

By that logic, you should consider going for some shooting practice without earplugs every once in a while, if you do you'll cause all sort of things in the world to miraculausly get much less noisy! Or at least get a few delta fans.

undeaf 07-30-2006 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artwking4
My laptop's got 3 Ghz Pentium, 512 MB RAM, 64 MB Video card (GeForce 5600 Go). Unfortunately, not quite good enough for Oblivion, as I understand it, at least for that video card bit. Unless I'm totally wrong and it will play anyway...:D (wishful thinking)

Any idea if you can replace the video card?

SakSquash 07-30-2006 01:51 PM

But my hearing isn't being obstrcuted, so it's not the same thing.

artwking4 07-30-2006 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by undeaf
Any idea if you can replace the video card?

Not unless there's such a thing as an external USB video memory card. The only thing that's upgradeable on this thing is the regular RAM.

Huz 07-30-2006 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artwking4
Well, the wired ethernet connection with the cable modem is downstairs. But that's what I would probably do for the time being, so I could download demos and other such things. Although I did find this device on Amazon... I think I've got Wireless-G and WEP encryption going on, though. Think it would still work?

I don't know much about the various wireless standards and their compatibility with each other - I just know you don't necessarily need the official Microsoft solution if you're willing to shop around and figure out exactly what will work. Hopefully someone else will know more.

Karmillo 07-30-2006 02:18 PM

Quote:

By that logic, you should consider going for some shooting practice without earplugs every once in a while, if you do you'll cause all sort of things in the world to miraculausly get much less noisy! Or at least get a few delta fans.

Turning that logic around on you I could just start slamming my head into my 360 and claim that it isnt making a noise rather its all in my head :D

undeaf 07-30-2006 06:55 PM

Quote:

But my hearing isn't being obstrcuted, so it's not the same thing.

No, I said without earplugs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karmillo
Turning that logic around on you I could just start slamming my head into my 360 and claim that it isnt making a noise rather its all in my head

Well, if you were slamming your head into your xbox 360 while in a vacuum, then most likely someone watching you would in fact be imagining that they can hear it, but that's got nothing to do with either background noise, naturally poor hearing, hearing damage from long exposure to loud noises, reduced hearing from old age or training of the mind to put an effort into filtering out certain types of persistant noises.

Fairygdmther 07-31-2006 04:45 AM

Maybe they should build in one of those white noise generators or the ones that erase sound by tuning out the sound that the 360 makes, by mirroring the wavelengths.

M

Huz 07-31-2006 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Maybe they should build in one of those white noise generators or the ones that erase sound by tuning out the sound that the 360 makes, by mirroring the wavelengths.

I've always wondered why they don't do that for PCs...

undeaf 07-31-2006 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huz
I've always wondered why they don't do that for PCs...

Because it would be harder, less effective and/or more expensive than other methods. The inverse noise generator would have to be in the same location as the source of the noise, and the noise can come from everywhere, including the whole case vibrating.

White noise? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_noise Eurgh. Sounds much worse than turbulence to me.

Karmillo 08-01-2006 02:29 PM

Quote:

Well, if you were slamming your head into your xbox 360 while in a vacuum, then most likely someone watching you would in fact be imagining that they can hear it, but that's got nothing to do with either background noise, naturally poor hearing, hearing damage from long exposure to loud noises, reduced hearing from old age or training of the mind to put an effort into filtering out certain types of persistant noises.

If you were in a vacume you wouldnt have a head to hit on it :P

Melanie68 08-01-2006 02:32 PM

You know, this discussion of head slamming and white noise isn't helping Art spend his money. ;) :P

Relek 08-01-2006 05:16 PM

Buy a shedload of condoms, then sell them to those ghettos rats for double the price.

It's easy to exploit white trash :D

SakSquash 08-01-2006 05:38 PM

Since you don't know what to do with it...why not just give it to somebody who'll really enjoy it? Like me.

artwking4 08-01-2006 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relek
Buy a shedload of condoms, then sell them to those ghettos rats for double the price.

It's easy to exploit white trash :D

Not a bad idea, but I don't think they'd use them. How do you think white trash are spawned?

Quote:

Since you don't know what to do with it...why not just give it to somebody who'll really enjoy it? Like me.

Sure, why not. Maybe I still have your address from when you sent me Bard's Tale. Just wait by your mailbox until the check arrives.:D

I think I might just go ahead and get an Xbox 360 in a few weeks. Hopefully see if I can get a good deal on one some way or another. At the very least, if I order one online from Amazon I wouldn't have to pay extra for tax or shipping. Well, thanks anyway, guys. Now I know that relief from fan noise is only a head slam away.:)

SakSquash 08-01-2006 08:41 PM

Dooood! I'll keep an eye out. Overstock was doing a 360 premium for $360 deal, so you might wanna check them out. Anyway, if you get it, add me as your friend and we'll play...something.

artwking4 08-01-2006 09:22 PM

I checked that out a few days ago, but they were sold out. And now the 10% coupon has expired. :frown:

HOWEVER, they've got a new coupon for $50 off any order of $400 or more, which is an even better deal. Also, apparently the Xbox 360 is back in stock because it just let me place the order. So that was my cue to go ahead and buy it right now. Hehe... I'm excited.:D I'll let you know when I get Live up and running. I have no doubt you'll kick my ass in just about any game, but still... Maybe I can pickup a used network adapter at GameStop or something.

If anybody else in the US wants to take advantage of the coupon, just go here and click on the link at the top (it adds the coupon automatically), find the Xbox 360 Platinum (catalog #10269797 priced at $398.99), add it and another inexpensive item (to put it over the $400 needed), and voila! Massive savings on an Xbox 360 with inexpensive shipping!

SakSquash 08-01-2006 09:26 PM

And as I posted before:

13 Months = $36

artwking4 08-01-2006 09:34 PM

That's a steal!