You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Help me spend my birthday money!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2006, 10:16 PM   #1
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4
Default Help me spend my birthday money!

I got $250 for my birthday and it's burning a whole in my pocket. I've been thinking of putting it towards getting an Xbox 360, but currently the only game I want to purchase for it is TES IV: Oblivion. There are other games on the horizon that I'd like to get, like Fable 2 and Splinter Cell: Double Agent and perhaps Mass Effect (the only thing I know about it is that it's by Bioware, and that's all I need to know).

My question is whether or not it's worth it to get a 360 for just Oblivion at the moment, and just rent other current games as I see fit for the time being. My computer (laptop) is nowhere good enough to play the PC version, so that's out of the question, and so is upgrading it.

Also, why is the Xbox 360 wireless network adapter so damn expensive? I'd like to try out the whole Xbox Live thing, but I don't think I've got another $100 to spend on that piece of hardware to make it work, and I might not even use it that much (I'm kind of a solitary gamer, but then again, I've also never really tried multiplayer gaming, so I wouldn't know if I liked it or not).

I still wonder if I should just wait and save up for the PS3. I've heard there are fresh rumors that Oblivion is heading to the PS3 and PSP. Even if true, it still wouldn't solve the problem of the few other Xbox 360 exlclusive titles coming out (although those do tend to make their way to the PC sooner or later, and I could always just upgrade to a newer PC in the future).

Or should I spend my money on something else entirely?
Old 07-29-2006, 10:39 PM   #2
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

There is no way possible that the Oblivion would fit on a PSP disk. And I wouldn't believe those rumors until Bethesda Soft announces it.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:44 PM   #3

Do you have any idea if you would be bothered by the noise of an xbox 360?
Old 07-30-2006, 12:03 AM   #4
Sensei

The next gen consoles = waste of time and money IMO
Old 07-30-2006, 12:41 AM   #5
kamikaze hummingbirds

On that PSP Oblivion article, how do have an actual imagined image?
Old 07-30-2006, 03:02 AM   #6
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

What about not spending it right away, stash it, and use it when you really want to/need to..
Old 07-30-2006, 08:58 AM   #7
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Oblivion for the PSP is possible, they would have to downscail it, but its possible. What about a DS version?

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 07-30-2006, 09:04 AM   #8
Banned User

First off. Let me just say that my 360 isn't noisy at all. I've never noticed any noise coming from it at all. Second, if the only game that interests you at the moment is oblivion, then don't get a 360. There are a ton of other games out for it that are great, but if those don't interest you, you must not like games very much, so you'd be better off spending that money on a knitting kit or something.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:16 AM   #9
Jack Bauer loves you

Quote:
Originally Posted by [toj.cc]Phantom
There is no way possible that the Oblivion would fit on a PSP disk. And I wouldn't believe those rumors until Bethesda Soft announces it.
I don't think the process of porting a game doesn't necessarily mean they copy it from one format to another and just change a little bit of the code... They obviously would have a lot of editing to do, and probably remove spoken dialogue almost entirely. And it's probably a lot easier to downgrade the textures and graphics and all that than it is to upgrade it. The PSP does, after all, have a significantly smaller screen then what the Xbox 360 or PC would be displaying to, so the UMD wouldn't need to hold the entire unaltered contents of Oblivion on DVD. No one's saying it would ever hold a candle to the hulking console versions, but I think it could work well enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite
On that PSP Oblivion article, how do have an actual imagined image?
I'm pretty sure IGN just made that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeaf
Do you have any idea if you would be bothered by the noise of an xbox 360?
The fan in my laptop is pretty loud, and I haven't run screaming yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe
What about not spending it right away, stash it, and use it when you really want to/need to..
What? That's a ridiculous notion! Next!!! (Although I'll probably actually wait at least a few weeks before I do anything with it. I've got plenty to keep me busy right now...)
Old 07-30-2006, 09:19 AM   #10
Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
First off. Let me just say that my 360 isn't noisy at all. I've never noticed any noise coming from it at all. Second, if the only game that interests you at the moment is oblivion, then don't get a 360. There are a ton of other games out for it that are great, but if those don't interest you, you must not like games very much, so you'd be better off spending that money on a knitting kit or something.
The next gen knitting kits = waste of time and money IMO
Old 07-30-2006, 09:23 AM   #11
Jack Bauer loves you

Quote:
Second, if the only game that interests you at the moment is oblivion, then don't get a 360. There are a ton of other games out for it that are great, but if those don't interest you, you must not like games very much, so you'd be better off spending that money on a knitting kit or something.
I just don't like sports or racing games, and spending $60 on on every 7-hour FPS game that comes along just doesn't seem all that brilliant for me to do. I'd rather rent them for a few days instead. Sure, I'd love to play them, just not BUY them.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:49 AM   #12
Homer of Kittens

I'd stash it till there are better games out there. Right now, 360 doesn't have that many games that make it worth 400 $'s and the games for it are too damn expensive. If you can be patient, there will be a much richer library by next year, and some of the games will have dropped down in price.

Firefox rules
Old 07-30-2006, 11:25 AM   #13
Banned User

I disagree.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relek
The next gen consoles = waste of time and money IMO
What about electricity?

Quote:
First off. Let me just say that my 360 isn't noisy at all. I've never noticed any noise coming from it at all.
*Immobilized from hysterical laughter*
Not loud? It's a little box consuming around 300 watts of power, with only 60mm fans to exhaust the heat that turns into, which aren't even as loud as the DVD drive, and the power supply uses 4 or 5 cm fans. That has to be close to the 747 that I'm told it is.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:07 PM   #15
Banned User

Like I said. I'm not hearing it. I'm not just making that up.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:16 PM   #16
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4
Also, why is the Xbox 360 wireless network adapter so damn expensive? I'd like to try out the whole Xbox Live thing, but I don't think I've got another $100 to spend on that piece of hardware to make it work, and I might not even use it that much (I'm kind of a solitary gamer, but then again, I've also never really tried multiplayer gaming, so I wouldn't know if I liked it or not).
You don't have to buy the official Xbox 360 wireless adaptor. Any wireless bridge will do.

If you're not sure whether you'll even use it that much, what's to stop you using wired Ethernet while you make up your mind?
Old 07-30-2006, 12:27 PM   #17
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

I would make sure that your really gonna like the game(s) youll buy with it. My 360 is just lying there cause I have no games to play on it due to the fact that I really disliked the 3 I got for it and slowly one after another I ended up trading them in for other games on other platforms that I wanted....now its just lying there waiting for a game that im interested to come out.

If oblivions the only game you want for it then you should probably just get that for the pc, if its high speced enough, and wait till more games that interest you come out.

but if your pc isnt high specced enough then check out Burnout revenge to get with oblivion, its actiony than sporty
Old 07-30-2006, 12:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Like I said. I'm not hearing it. I'm not just making that up.
Saying that you don't notice your xbox 360 at the moment and that it "isn't noisy at all" are two very different things.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:20 PM   #19
Banned User

If I don't hear my 360 making noise, then it's not noisy. See how that works?
Old 07-30-2006, 01:21 PM   #20
Jack Bauer loves you

Fan noise or not, it doesn't bother me, as long as it doesn't overheat, catch on fire, or blow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
You don't have to buy the official Xbox 360 wireless adaptor. Any wireless bridge will do.

If you're not sure whether you'll even use it that much, what's to stop you using wired Ethernet while you make up your mind?
Well, the wired ethernet connection with the cable modem is downstairs. But that's what I would probably do for the time being, so I could download demos and other such things. Although I did find this device on Amazon... I think I've got Wireless-G and WEP encryption going on, though. Think it would still work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
If oblivions the only game you want for it then you should probably just get that for the pc, if its high speced enough, and wait till more games that interest you come out.

but if your pc isnt high specced enough then check out Burnout revenge to get with oblivion, its actiony than sporty
My laptop's got 3 Ghz Pentium, 512 MB RAM, 64 MB Video card (GeForce 5600 Go). Unfortunately, not quite good enough for Oblivion, as I understand it, at least for that video card bit. Unless I'm totally wrong and it will play anyway... (wishful thinking)

Burnout Revenge does seem like something I would like, though. I really liked Megarace back in the day. And like I said there are definitely other games coming out that I'd like to get, and other games I want to play but not purchase outright.

Hehe... I really thought there would be more people convincing me to do it, but it seems you all are wiser than I am at the moment. Well, that's why I asked, to get your thoughts on it. Except you SakSquash. I'm not getting a knitting kit. I don't know how to knit.