Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   The Case Of The Missing Corpus Callosum (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/15531-case-missing-corpus-callosum.html)

Sage 06-20-2006 08:48 AM

The Case Of The Missing Corpus Callosum

I was reading a fascinating article today in Scientific American about how the large number of people getting MRI brain scans these days has revealed some interesting anomalies, one of which was that there are a significant number of people walking around who are missing their corpus callosum.
For people who are not science/medical geeks, the corpus callosum is a large structure at the base of the brain that connects the two hemispheres of the brain.
People who are missing this structure lead perfectly normal lives, although in talking to these people researchers have found that they have great difficulty in getting the point of jokes and in processing pictures as information.
As a long time fan of British television, I immediately thought of Marjorie Ledbetter, the humorless next-door neighbor in "The Good Life" ("Good Neighbors" in the US). I wonder if they'll name this condition "Ledbetter's Syndrome" in her honor?

Jelena 06-20-2006 10:56 AM

I recently saw a documentary about this man who actually is the person who inspired the maker of the movie Rainman. He lacks the corpus callosum but there's more to it. Read the article!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...8077_1,00.html

Jatsie 06-20-2006 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage
As a long time fan of British television, I immediately thought of Marjorie Ledbetter, the humorless next-door neighbor in "The Good Life"

I think you'll find that's Margot Ledbetter. :)

I always loved Margot, poor Jerry, he was so whipped, hehe.

Melanie68 06-20-2006 12:04 PM

Wasn't that the one played by Penelope Keith (I think I have her name right?)? She was also in To The Manor Born. I like her. :)

SakSquash 06-20-2006 12:19 PM

Wow...makes me wonder if I have mine.

stepurhan 06-20-2006 01:05 PM

Quote:

I was reading a fascinating article today in Scientific American about how the large number of people getting MRI brain scans these days has revealed some interesting anomalies, one of which was that there are a significant number of people walking around who are missing their corpus callosum.

Does the article have any theories as to why people may be missing this part of the brain? I'm curious as to whether it's considered a good or bad thing in an evolutionary sense. Are there survival traits that are enhanced or hampered by having the two hemipspheres connected?

Sage 06-20-2006 01:43 PM

They seemed to think it was just a genetic anomaly with no clear-cut benefits or disabilities. However, literally having no sense of humor might prove a problem in a social sense. If someone laughs at your jokes you tend to enjoy spending time with them, whereas someone who doesn't find you humorous at all will have to work extra hard to gain your friendship.
There's also a reproductive aspect: Poll after poll contends that people prefer a partner who can make them laugh, and having no sense of humor could be quite a stumbling block on the path to finding, and more importantly keeping, a mate.

Sage 06-20-2006 01:46 PM

Right you are Jatsie; it's Margot and not Marjorie. Marjorie was the name of Penelope Keith's character's best friend in "To The Manor Born".

stepurhan 06-20-2006 01:56 PM

Quote:

There's also a reproductive aspect: Poll after poll contends that people prefer a partner who can make them laugh, and having no sense of humor could be quite a stumbling block on the path to finding, and more importantly keeping, a mate.

I always wonder about that one. It does come up on poll after poll but in practice, it often seems people end up fallng for something else. I suspect this is a case of those being polled replying what they think they look for. Not that they're are lying as such but they've convinced themselves that sense of humour is what they are looking for (or feel they should be looking for) I'm nor sure how I'd go abuot doing research to test that theory though. The very issue defies traditional research techniques.

RLacey 06-20-2006 01:57 PM

If a sense of humour is important then I'm in serious trouble ;)...

stepurhan 06-20-2006 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
If a sense of humour is important then I'm in serious trouble ;)...

You're in trouble for being too serious?

Jelena 06-20-2006 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stepurhan
I always wonder about that one. It does come up on poll after poll but in practice, it often seems people end up fallng for something else.

I think it's a chemistry thing. First you have to be ready to fall in love. Then your 'body' looks for the perfect match. (We've discussed this before in the sex thread I think.) But of course you have to enjoy/care for/be excited about/ = love the person's personality as well, not just the body (:D)
Ah well, it's a mystery really!

stepurhan 06-20-2006 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelena
I think it's a chemistry thing. First you have to be ready to fall in love. Then your 'body' looks for the perfect match. (We've discussed this before in the sex thread I think.) But of course you have to enjoy/care for/be excited about/ = love the person's personality as well, not just the body (:D)
Ah well, it's a mystery really!

I knew it! You're only after me for my personality! You're not interested in my body at all!!!!?!?!!? :P

Back on the original subject are there any other parts of the brain that can be absent without causing a person major issues in life? It's this sort of thing that makes me wary of any drugs (even prescribed ones) that are intended to directly affect the brain. I really don't think we can know enough about it to mess with it like that.

Jelena 06-20-2006 02:23 PM

A bit off topic, sorry:
Quote:

Originally Posted by stepurhan
I knew it! You're only after me for my personality! You're not interested in my body at all!!!!?!?!!? :P

I'm after your poetry Step!:D

Jatsie 06-20-2006 02:27 PM

I want to get one of these people and give them a Corpus Callosum transplant, then monitor the results.

Melanie68 06-20-2006 02:28 PM

I am looking on PubMed right now. Marked reduction in the corpus callosum has been observed in people who were abused as children (I'll try and find the paper that talks about that) and there may be some other problems with having a thin corpus callosum. With a complete absence and a probable genetic cause coupled with normal behavior, there is likely a compensation in the brain for communication between left and right hemispheres (that's my hypothesis at least.).

Corpus Callosum Volume in Railroad Workers With Chronic Exposure to Solvents.

Emotional arousal in agenesis of the corpus callosum.

Prenatal diagnosis of agenesis of corpus callosum: what is the neurodevelopmental outcome?

Corpus Callosum and Cocaine

Reduced area of the corpus callosum in posttraumatic stress disorder.

I'll stop now. ;)

Fairygdmther 06-20-2006 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jat316sob
I want to get one of these people and give them a Corpus Callosum transplant, then monitor the results.

Are you offering to donate yours?

Jatsie 06-20-2006 02:30 PM

No, but I have a cadaver on ice in the garage.

saucyminx 06-20-2006 02:36 PM

What a coincidence. I just gave my exam on brain parts today, and corpus callosum and the mesensephalon gave me a headache.