You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The Case Of The Missing Corpus Callosum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2006, 08:48 AM   #1
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage
Default The Case Of The Missing Corpus Callosum

I was reading a fascinating article today in Scientific American about how the large number of people getting MRI brain scans these days has revealed some interesting anomalies, one of which was that there are a significant number of people walking around who are missing their corpus callosum.
For people who are not science/medical geeks, the corpus callosum is a large structure at the base of the brain that connects the two hemispheres of the brain.
People who are missing this structure lead perfectly normal lives, although in talking to these people researchers have found that they have great difficulty in getting the point of jokes and in processing pictures as information.
As a long time fan of British television, I immediately thought of Marjorie Ledbetter, the humorless next-door neighbor in "The Good Life" ("Good Neighbors" in the US). I wonder if they'll name this condition "Ledbetter's Syndrome" in her honor?

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-20-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
Lazy Bee

I recently saw a documentary about this man who actually is the person who inspired the maker of the movie Rainman. He lacks the corpus callosum but there's more to it. Read the article!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...8077_1,00.html
Old 06-20-2006, 12:01 PM   #3
Lovable rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
As a long time fan of British television, I immediately thought of Marjorie Ledbetter, the humorless next-door neighbor in "The Good Life"
I think you'll find that's Margot Ledbetter.

I always loved Margot, poor Jerry, he was so whipped, hehe.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 06-20-2006, 12:04 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Wasn't that the one played by Penelope Keith (I think I have her name right?)? She was also in To The Manor Born. I like her.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
Banned User

Wow...makes me wonder if I have mine.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:05 PM   #6
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
I was reading a fascinating article today in Scientific American about how the large number of people getting MRI brain scans these days has revealed some interesting anomalies, one of which was that there are a significant number of people walking around who are missing their corpus callosum.
Does the article have any theories as to why people may be missing this part of the brain? I'm curious as to whether it's considered a good or bad thing in an evolutionary sense. Are there survival traits that are enhanced or hampered by having the two hemipspheres connected?
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 06-20-2006, 01:43 PM   #7
Bad Influence

They seemed to think it was just a genetic anomaly with no clear-cut benefits or disabilities. However, literally having no sense of humor might prove a problem in a social sense. If someone laughs at your jokes you tend to enjoy spending time with them, whereas someone who doesn't find you humorous at all will have to work extra hard to gain your friendship.
There's also a reproductive aspect: Poll after poll contends that people prefer a partner who can make them laugh, and having no sense of humor could be quite a stumbling block on the path to finding, and more importantly keeping, a mate.

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-20-2006, 01:46 PM   #8
Bad Influence

Right you are Jatsie; it's Margot and not Marjorie. Marjorie was the name of Penelope Keith's character's best friend in "To The Manor Born".

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-20-2006, 01:56 PM   #9
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
There's also a reproductive aspect: Poll after poll contends that people prefer a partner who can make them laugh, and having no sense of humor could be quite a stumbling block on the path to finding, and more importantly keeping, a mate.
I always wonder about that one. It does come up on poll after poll but in practice, it often seems people end up fallng for something else. I suspect this is a case of those being polled replying what they think they look for. Not that they're are lying as such but they've convinced themselves that sense of humour is what they are looking for (or feel they should be looking for) I'm nor sure how I'd go abuot doing research to test that theory though. The very issue defies traditional research techniques.

Cold Topic

Old 06-20-2006, 01:57 PM   #10
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

If a sense of humour is important then I'm in serious trouble ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:02 PM   #11
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
If a sense of humour is important then I'm in serious trouble ...
You're in trouble for being too serious?

Cold Topic

Last edited by stepurhan; 06-20-2006 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:09 PM   #12
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
I always wonder about that one. It does come up on poll after poll but in practice, it often seems people end up fallng for something else.
I think it's a chemistry thing. First you have to be ready to fall in love. Then your 'body' looks for the perfect match. (We've discussed this before in the sex thread I think.) But of course you have to enjoy/care for/be excited about/ = love the person's personality as well, not just the body ()
Ah well, it's a mystery really!
Old 06-20-2006, 02:19 PM   #13
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena
I think it's a chemistry thing. First you have to be ready to fall in love. Then your 'body' looks for the perfect match. (We've discussed this before in the sex thread I think.) But of course you have to enjoy/care for/be excited about/ = love the person's personality as well, not just the body ()
Ah well, it's a mystery really!
I knew it! You're only after me for my personality! You're not interested in my body at all!!!!?!?!!?

Back on the original subject are there any other parts of the brain that can be absent without causing a person major issues in life? It's this sort of thing that makes me wary of any drugs (even prescribed ones) that are intended to directly affect the brain. I really don't think we can know enough about it to mess with it like that.

Cold Topic

Old 06-20-2006, 02:23 PM   #14
Lazy Bee

A bit off topic, sorry:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
I knew it! You're only after me for my personality! You're not interested in my body at all!!!!?!?!!?
I'm after your poetry Step!
Old 06-20-2006, 02:27 PM   #15
Lovable rogue

I want to get one of these people and give them a Corpus Callosum transplant, then monitor the results.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 06-20-2006, 02:28 PM   #16
Super Moderator

I am looking on PubMed right now. Marked reduction in the corpus callosum has been observed in people who were abused as children (I'll try and find the paper that talks about that) and there may be some other problems with having a thin corpus callosum. With a complete absence and a probable genetic cause coupled with normal behavior, there is likely a compensation in the brain for communication between left and right hemispheres (that's my hypothesis at least.).

Corpus Callosum Volume in Railroad Workers With Chronic Exposure to Solvents.

Emotional arousal in agenesis of the corpus callosum.

Prenatal diagnosis of agenesis of corpus callosum: what is the neurodevelopmental outcome?

Corpus Callosum and Cocaine

Reduced area of the corpus callosum in posttraumatic stress disorder.

I'll stop now.

Last edited by Melanie68; 06-20-2006 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:29 PM   #17
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob
I want to get one of these people and give them a Corpus Callosum transplant, then monitor the results.
Are you offering to donate yours?
Old 06-20-2006, 02:30 PM   #18
Lovable rogue

No, but I have a cadaver on ice in the garage.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:36 PM   #19
Schoolgirl From Hell

What a coincidence. I just gave my exam on brain parts today, and corpus callosum and the mesensephalon gave me a headache.

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"