Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   I'm Going To London! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/12224-im-going-london.html)

Lucien21 01-18-2006 10:59 AM

Mira,

Bet your glad to be in London.

Saw on the news that Moscow has hit a low -31 degrees C and power cuts.

COOOOOOLLLLLLLDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SoccerDude28 01-18-2006 11:03 AM

I'm sure someone is keeping her warm ;)

tabacco 01-18-2006 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karmillo
Wait im missing something here, whats so special about this thing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_Stone

Kolzig 01-18-2006 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Plus, museums are free in the UK for anyone to visit, whereas in much of the rest of the world, they're not and certainly not of a quality as somewhere like the British Museum, which is really the best in the world when it comes to care of such items.

Yeah I noticed that the museums are free, I only had time to visit the Imperial War Museum when I was in London. I was positively surprised that the museum was free, but then again I was disappointed that the T.E. Lawrence exhibit in the museum wasn't free...

Now that was one exhibit that I would've gladly wanted to see.

seebaruk 01-19-2006 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
How long has it been behind all that glass? Do I have some strangely bad memory or something?

I think they did that recently, cos people kept touching it with their manky hands.

I suppose it would be fair enough if it goes back to Egypt. As long as it doesn't go to France :P

Ninth 01-19-2006 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squarejawhero
You could argue that about treasures taken the world over, not just that one single stone. You could also argue that it's being in superb condition where it is and that transit would only risk damage to it... or that the country of origin may not be capable or not have a proven track record of looking after monuments, as is the case with the Elgin marbles and Greece.

Plus, museums are free in the UK for anyone to visit, whereas in much of the rest of the world, they're not and certainly not of a quality as somewhere like the British Museum, which is really the best in the world when it comes to care of such items.

Plus the French could argue finders-keepers...

... and so on...

... and so on...

... see where I'm going?

I'm partial to this kind of pieces staying in the museums where they're able to care about them properly.
But that's probably 'cause France has stolen a bunch of stuff world-wide, and our museums would suffer greatly from returning everything. :crazy:

Museums are free in the UK. That's great... I didn't remember that.

squarejawhero 01-19-2006 03:19 PM

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/5421/12kh1.jpg
A Malaysian beauty in London

RLacey 01-19-2006 03:53 PM

Nope, I'm still only seeing a picture of Mira.

RLacey

saucyminx 01-21-2006 04:00 PM

ARGH! I'm leaving tomorrow evening, and I still have NOT seen the Rosetta Stone!!! I still can't believe I walked past it without even realising it!!!

Anyways, I'm having SJH sitting on top of my luggage bag at the moment. I'm having a real problem trying to get it shut, so I'm hoping his bottom could help me squash my things down flat. I have no idea how my luggage bags suddenly just grew fat. I mean, what the crap!?!?

I'm feeling sad, but not sad unhappy, if you know what I mean. At the moment, I am extremely very tempted to drop medicine, stay in London and enrol in a dance/acting school and become an ACTOR and meanwhile work as a harrassed waitress to support my newfound dream... oooh I can just picture headlines on the newspapers back in Malaysia: GIRL RUNS AWAY FROM STUDIES IN MOSCOW ONLY TO TURN UP IN LONDON... but no, sensibility kicked in (damn you!). So, I must go and face long-faced lecturers and suffer endlessly through heavy books... more later... hopefully I'll be able to post more pictures on the blog before I go...

Btw, RLacey dah-link... this one's for you: *kicks*

*runs*

Intrepid Homoludens 01-21-2006 04:29 PM

< imagines squaresie sitting on Mira's luggage, wearing one of his ugly t-shirts >

Awwwww!!!! http://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/love/mushy.gif

Sage 01-21-2006 09:22 PM

Are there no medical schools in London? Would a transfer be possible?
Poor Squarejaw will be so lonely and depressed once you're gone. True, he'll have all of us for support during the dark days ahead, but the kind words of all of us don't hold a candle to having you close by.
I hope you have a safe trip back to Moscow, and that you find the time to visit London again very soon.

Erwin_Br 01-22-2006 04:45 AM

Don't forget to put on some warm clothes when you're going. The weather in Moscow is a little... chilly. ;)

--Erwin

squarejawhero 01-22-2006 04:24 PM

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/7127/img10842bo.jpg
Santori time! OK, Guiness... same difference... er... not!

Well, Mira's gone and I find myself alone in my cold flat... wishing she could've stayed, feeling sad but at the same time astoundingly happy that we're still together, even if we're apart. This whole thing was a real test for us to see if we could be together, and to be honest, I really felt that she belonged here with me ... as if we've always been together. Wierd, because that's the way we felt when we first met in person, like we've always known eachother!

Anyway, she's winging her way to Moscow right now, soaring above the clouds to arrive stupidly early in the morning at the airport over there. Fortunately friends have offered to help her home and I bought her some new winter boots yesterday - no way in hell am I letting her freeze! Her old boots had worn out and she got frostbite in December in temperatures warmer than it is now... got to look after her! ;)

But... I've got no time to be upset. I'm really, really sad she's gone... but she'll be back... thing is.. I'm going somewhere in two days. I won't say where yet, but hopefully I'll post when I get there, and if not, Mira will report in for me.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/2249/img10596ld.jpg
We'll see eachother again soon... and that's a promise! ;)

saucyminx 01-23-2006 12:14 AM

Got home safely. Feeling extremely tired and lonely. Hardly slept a wink on the plane. As it turned out, my friend couldn't meet me at the airport. Couldn't blame her. It was insanely cold. But she was kind enough to wait for me by the doorsteps so she could help me pay for my cab fare. I was having a bad time at the airport where all the cash machines refused to work for me... really broke. I'm terribly grateful though, for the boots SJH got for me, because they really worked like a charm... I hardly felt any cold creeping into my toes! My toes are my most sensitive part of my body, my toes, my feet and hands... they get icy cold real quick.

saucyminx 01-27-2006 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
Are there no medical schools in London? Would a transfer be possible?
Poor Squarejaw will be so lonely and depressed once you're gone. True, he'll have all of us for support during the dark days ahead, but the kind words of all of us don't hold a candle to having you close by.
I hope you have a safe trip back to Moscow, and that you find the time to visit London again very soon.

I just noticed this post. Tbh I've been wanting to transfer to the UK for a long time, but when I was there, I was told that this is going to be hard to do... if not, impossible. The problem is, I'm doing medicine, and it's a tricky course to just transfer schools about. I've called up a lot of people in London, and I received mostly "sorry, dear..." and "no idea how to help, but try this number..." etc etc. Looking for the school which accepts international transfer is a difficult thing to do, but I'm not giving up just yet, though I am feeling a little discouraged at the moment. Truth be told, I'm a little tired of Russia, and this is one of the reasons I want to get out. It's not that my medical school is bad or anything, but I'm looking to broaden my horizons while studying. I feel very segregated here, and that is the main thing I am not happy about. I feel that I deserve a lot better. I don't really regret coming to Russia, but there are times I wished that the situation is different.

Well, if anyone knows how to help me, just let me know.

Intrepid Homoludens 01-27-2006 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mira
I feel very segregated here, and that is the main thing I am not happy about. I feel that I deserve a lot better. I don't really regret coming to Russia, but there are times I wished that the situation is different.

Are you saying that people there discriminate you? That's awful!

saucyminx 01-27-2006 02:59 PM

Discriminate is a strong word, but tbh a lot of the foreign students are excluded from a lot of things... mainly due to the language, I think. And the international students are divided into 2 groups: the elitist - those who are really fluent in Russian and know everything that goes on and get to join in (some of them are not into sharing information); the ignorants - those who are either not fluent or not putting any effort to improve their language proficiency, preferring to be among their people only.

It's weird, but it's true. Though we do have a cultural festival every spring when everybody gets to join in, but I still feel left out from a lot of experiences that I should enjoy while I'm in college.

Intrepid Homoludens 01-27-2006 03:03 PM

Good luck trying to find a school in London that will take you. Wanna know what I think? I think those people you talked to are too lazy ass to try converting your credits. It's a great deal of work, but I think it's a matter of non-standardization from university to university. Also, it's a matter of them making more money off you if they forced you to restart the program, rather than accredit you for what you've already accomplished.

saucyminx 01-27-2006 03:06 PM

That's what I thought, too. I feel a little depressed about it. But that doesn't mean I'm going to stop trying.

Intrepid Homoludens 01-27-2006 03:07 PM

Don't stop if it really means that much to you. What sucks is that you're not in London and can meet in person with university reps.

I think it's bullshit when university thinks that the academic life is culture enough for their students. Institutional is only ONE kind of learning.