Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Most Non-linear Adventure Game? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/3652-most-non-linear-adventure-game.html)

Draco2.5 06-18-2004 07:38 PM

Most Non-linear Adventure Game?

What do you think the most non-linear adventure game is?

Maquisard 06-18-2004 08:06 PM

All adventure games have a level of non-linearity. For one, there are usually puzzles which you can do in different order. :)

But when it comes to the MOST non-linear game, I don't really know. I'm gonna have to stick to the adventures I've played. I know it's nowhere near to qualify, but I'd have to say it's Dott. There are basically three adventure games to play there, which interweave with each other. You can play the characters in any order, either often flipping between them, or playing one until you exaust all your options, and then switching to the other. The ability to transport objects between them also adds an extra element of *erm* "non-linearity" (am I totaly missusing the term here? :eek: ), because you're never sure who needs the object & when. OK then, that's my take on that! :D

Ninja Dodo 06-19-2004 02:18 AM

Probably The Last Express.

As for games I've played: Outcast, Gothic, Little Big Adventure... And no they're not classic point & click but yes I consider those adventures.

colpet 06-19-2004 02:18 AM

My vote goes to Riven. I played the game for weeks (casually) going back and forth between the islands. Everytime, I would discover something new or find out something that would help progress me a bit.

CrimsonBlue 06-19-2004 02:52 AM

Well, Monkey Island 2's second part, "Four Map Pieces" was incredibly free and non-linear, but maybe that's not what you were after.

Simo Sakari Aaltonen 06-19-2004 04:15 AM

Several of the Leisure Suit Larry games are highly nonlinear. You're given the chance to see most of the playing area from the get-go in LSL1, LSL6, and LSL7. Naturally some things can and have to be done before others but all in all, there's enormous freedom in these games.

Al Lowe is one of the unsung heroes of adventure game design even though he was probably the most innovative and consistently accomplished designer working for Sierra - right after Jane, that is.

EgonBondy 06-19-2004 05:53 AM

what about blade runner or omikron?

Simo Sakari Aaltonen 06-19-2004 10:17 AM

I'm afraid Blade Runner is completely linear. That some of the story elements are randomly generated doesn't make it non-linear, because you still have to complete the same tasks in each of the Acts before you get to move on to the next. The random elements simply get slotted into that linear structure. What I'm trying to say is that each individual game of Blade Runner has a very rigid structure that you have to follow in order to get anywhere.

remixor 06-19-2004 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simo Sakari Aaltonen
Al Lowe is one of the unsung heroes of adventure game design even though he was probably the most innovative and consistently accomplished designer working for Sierra - right after Jane, that is.

Yeah, what's funny is that none of the LSL games are really on my top favorites list, but honestly I have to give Lowe credit for being right up there with Sierra's top designers (after, as you say, Jensen).

LeisureSuitedLooney 06-19-2004 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draco2.5
What do you think the most non-linear adventure game is?

LSL7 is my most-replayed game, mostly because of its nonlinearity and experimental design. I've found so many hidden jokes in the verb and dialogue-typing interfaces, that it never ceases to amaze me. The nonlinear aspects, like the open-map design, are a great way to keep a game from getting too frustrating, as it allows a player to get away from a tough puzzle and go back when inspiration strikes.

Shivers 1 was also very nonlinear, in that you could wander around the museum a bit, exploring the atmosphere of each room before really beginning. The "Explore" option at game's end is something every good environment-based adventure game should have, as well. It allowed you to see every area without the threat of being stalked.

Sadly, most adventure games these days tend to keep you "on the path", not allowing you to explore further or try out a little creative thinking.

Intrepid Homoludens 06-19-2004 02:23 PM

:confused: I didn't think there were such things as non-linear adventure games.

crabapple 06-19-2004 02:28 PM

I'd say Riven.

Fickfack 06-19-2004 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
:confused: I didn't think there were such things as non-linear adventure games.

Played Riven yet?
ROFLMAO! :crazy: ;)

Intrepid Homoludens 06-19-2004 03:26 PM

I'll give myself the benefit of a doubt. Is there a demo?

Fickfack 06-19-2004 03:31 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't know where to find one; it's a 1997 game.
It's non-linear in the sense that the entire gameworld minus about four small areas are open to you the instant you begin the game. You can go anywhere, gather clues in any order, trigger cutscenes in any order.
Of course, there are still situations where you must solve puzzle A before puzzle B, but you can also work on puzzle C.
It's my favourite game. Go play it.

Fienepien 06-19-2004 05:30 PM

Imo many Myst-like adventures are very non-linear. Dark Fall, Rhem, Golden Gate, A Quiet Weekend in Capri, Zork Nemesis, Morpheus. But as long as there are many mini-quests in an open world, the game feels non-linear to me. I didn't have that feeling with the Last Express though, because it's linear in time and problemsolving.

The most non-linear game I can think of is Alice: An Interactive Museum. No people, no inventory, no speech, nothing but paintings and objects to interact with and 53 playing cards with clues to find, which is not always easy, some are well-hidden. Maybe not a real adventure, but what else to call it. A game of exploration, an experience. Like Laurie Anderson's Puppet Motel, another favorite of mine.

Jakek 06-19-2004 07:13 PM

Quote:

Three of the best adventures of all time are $20 (not each, for all three in the new DVD set). Myst, Riven, and Myst III. I know Myst has a bit of a bad rap for spawning some truly awful clones, but every game in the series is a masterpeice. Plus, you don't have the extreme pain of disc switching in Riven.

http://store.ubi.com/item.jsp?item=0...13&category=PC Beg, borrow, or steal $20 and get it.

Intrepid Homoludens 06-19-2004 07:17 PM

Sorry, Jakek, but I'm saving part of that $20 for Hitman 2. I want the freedom, man. I'll most likely get Riven some time later, when I find more change on the street. :D

Jakek 06-19-2004 07:26 PM

Hitman 2 wasn't nearly as good as Hitman 1. It doesn't feel fresh at all. It feels the was Vice City does to GTA:3: yeah, there's are new maps, and yes you have motorcycles (at least in Vice City you do) but it doesn't have the greatness of the original. Now Riven! Riven is just perfect.

Intrepid Homoludens 06-19-2004 07:30 PM

Whatever you say. I'll leave the discussion by saying that I've lost count how many times I played the Hitman 2 'Invitation To A Party' demo.