You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Most Non-linear Adventure Game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2004, 07:38 PM   #1

Default Most Non-linear Adventure Game?

What do you think the most non-linear adventure game is?
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 06-18-2004, 08:06 PM   #2
Citizen of Bizarro World

All adventure games have a level of non-linearity. For one, there are usually puzzles which you can do in different order.

But when it comes to the MOST non-linear game, I don't really know. I'm gonna have to stick to the adventures I've played. I know it's nowhere near to qualify, but I'd have to say it's Dott. There are basically three adventure games to play there, which interweave with each other. You can play the characters in any order, either often flipping between them, or playing one until you exaust all your options, and then switching to the other. The ability to transport objects between them also adds an extra element of *erm* "non-linearity" (am I totaly missusing the term here? :eek: ), because you're never sure who needs the object & when. OK then, that's my take on that!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 06-19-2004, 02:18 AM   #3

Probably The Last Express.

As for games I've played: Outcast, Gothic, Little Big Adventure... And no they're not classic point & click but yes I consider those adventures.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:18 AM   #4
Easily amused

My vote goes to Riven. I played the game for weeks (casually) going back and forth between the islands. Everytime, I would discover something new or find out something that would help progress me a bit.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:52 AM   #5

Well, Monkey Island 2's second part, "Four Map Pieces" was incredibly free and non-linear, but maybe that's not what you were after.
Old 06-19-2004, 04:15 AM   #6
Banned User

Several of the Leisure Suit Larry games are highly nonlinear. You're given the chance to see most of the playing area from the get-go in LSL1, LSL6, and LSL7. Naturally some things can and have to be done before others but all in all, there's enormous freedom in these games.

Al Lowe is one of the unsung heroes of adventure game design even though he was probably the most innovative and consistently accomplished designer working for Sierra - right after Jane, that is.

www.adventurecompanion.com
Old 06-19-2004, 05:53 AM   #7
Masakra Studios

what about blade runner or omikron?
Old 06-19-2004, 10:17 AM   #8
Banned User

I'm afraid Blade Runner is completely linear. That some of the story elements are randomly generated doesn't make it non-linear, because you still have to complete the same tasks in each of the Acts before you get to move on to the next. The random elements simply get slotted into that linear structure. What I'm trying to say is that each individual game of Blade Runner has a very rigid structure that you have to follow in order to get anywhere.

www.adventurecompanion.com
Old 06-19-2004, 10:18 AM   #9
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo Sakari Aaltonen
Al Lowe is one of the unsung heroes of adventure game design even though he was probably the most innovative and consistently accomplished designer working for Sierra - right after Jane, that is.
Yeah, what's funny is that none of the LSL games are really on my top favorites list, but honestly I have to give Lowe credit for being right up there with Sierra's top designers (after, as you say, Jensen).

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 06-19-2004, 02:15 PM   #10
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco2.5
What do you think the most non-linear adventure game is?
LSL7 is my most-replayed game, mostly because of its nonlinearity and experimental design. I've found so many hidden jokes in the verb and dialogue-typing interfaces, that it never ceases to amaze me. The nonlinear aspects, like the open-map design, are a great way to keep a game from getting too frustrating, as it allows a player to get away from a tough puzzle and go back when inspiration strikes.

Shivers 1 was also very nonlinear, in that you could wander around the museum a bit, exploring the atmosphere of each room before really beginning. The "Explore" option at game's end is something every good environment-based adventure game should have, as well. It allowed you to see every area without the threat of being stalked.

Sadly, most adventure games these days tend to keep you "on the path", not allowing you to explore further or try out a little creative thinking.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:23 PM   #11
merely human

I didn't think there were such things as non-linear adventure games.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 06-19-2004 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:28 PM   #12

I'd say Riven.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:23 PM   #13
Squonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I didn't think there were such things as non-linear adventure games.
Played Riven yet?
ROFLMAO!
Old 06-19-2004, 03:26 PM   #14
merely human

I'll give myself the benefit of a doubt. Is there a demo?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-19-2004, 03:31 PM   #15
Squonk

Quote:
I wouldn't know where to find one; it's a 1997 game.
It's non-linear in the sense that the entire gameworld minus about four small areas are open to you the instant you begin the game. You can go anywhere, gather clues in any order, trigger cutscenes in any order.
Of course, there are still situations where you must solve puzzle A before puzzle B, but you can also work on puzzle C.
It's my favourite game. Go play it.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:30 PM   #16
Fienepien

Imo many Myst-like adventures are very non-linear. Dark Fall, Rhem, Golden Gate, A Quiet Weekend in Capri, Zork Nemesis, Morpheus. But as long as there are many mini-quests in an open world, the game feels non-linear to me. I didn't have that feeling with the Last Express though, because it's linear in time and problemsolving.

The most non-linear game I can think of is Alice: An Interactive Museum. No people, no inventory, no speech, nothing but paintings and objects to interact with and 53 playing cards with clues to find, which is not always easy, some are well-hidden. Maybe not a real adventure, but what else to call it. A game of exploration, an experience. Like Laurie Anderson's Puppet Motel, another favorite of mine.

Old 06-19-2004, 07:13 PM   #17

Send a message via ICQ to Jakek Send a message via AIM to Jakek Send a message via MSN to Jakek Send a message via Yahoo to Jakek

Quote:
Three of the best adventures of all time are $20 (not each, for all three in the new DVD set). Myst, Riven, and Myst III. I know Myst has a bit of a bad rap for spawning some truly awful clones, but every game in the series is a masterpeice. Plus, you don't have the extreme pain of disc switching in Riven.

http://store.ubi.com/item.jsp?item=0...13&category=PC Beg, borrow, or steal $20 and get it.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:17 PM   #18
merely human

Sorry, Jakek, but I'm saving part of that $20 for Hitman 2. I want the freedom, man. I'll most likely get Riven some time later, when I find more change on the street.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:26 PM   #19

Send a message via ICQ to Jakek Send a message via AIM to Jakek Send a message via MSN to Jakek Send a message via Yahoo to Jakek

Hitman 2 wasn't nearly as good as Hitman 1. It doesn't feel fresh at all. It feels the was Vice City does to GTA:3: yeah, there's are new maps, and yes you have motorcycles (at least in Vice City you do) but it doesn't have the greatness of the original. Now Riven! Riven is just perfect.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:30 PM   #20
merely human

Whatever you say. I'll leave the discussion by saying that I've lost count how many times I played the Hitman 2 'Invitation To A Party' demo.