Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Tim Schafer's History of Video Games Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/29026-tim-schafers-history-video-games-adventure.html)

DustyShinigami 05-13-2011 05:00 AM

Tim Schafer's History of Video Games Adventure

GameSpot are currently doing another 'Video Game History Month' where they cover all the different consoles/hardware, people, games and events that have helped change the video game industry to what it is today.

In 'The People Behind It All' section, this Thursday, is Tim Schafer about his rise to fame, which is both interesting and funny.

nonax 05-13-2011 05:54 AM

Very cool, must see for every adventurer!

zane 05-14-2011 05:08 AM

really interesting to see tim schafer talk about this stuff. Psychonauts is such a fantastic game, i hope we see many more titles from doublefine.

Ascovel 05-14-2011 07:46 AM

Thanks for the link - always a pleasure to watch Schafer talk, though I'm disappointed I can't play his new games anymore now that they're not available for PC.

theo 05-14-2011 12:05 PM

I find the "multi cylinder engine" approach double fine has going now to be really interesting. It could prove to be the model that saves them from becoming just another stagnated bloated game studio pumping out no-brainer un-inspired combat proven games.

I will follow them closely.

Thanks for posting this link:)

Ascovel 05-14-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theo (Post 580529)
I find the "multi cylinder engine" approach double fine has going now to be really interesting. It could prove to be the model that saves them from becoming just another stagnated bloated game studio pumping out no-brainer un-inspired combat proven games.

I'm not sure if this model leads necessarily to original, bold ventures. The last 2 titles that came out of it - some kind of mecha war game with aliens and a Sesame Street game - seem to be the most uninspired games that Double Fine has conceived since its inception.

noknowncure 05-14-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascovel (Post 580532)
I'm not sure if this model leads necessarily to original, bold ventures. The last 2 titles that came out of it - some kind of mecha war game with aliens and a Sesame Street game - seem to be the most uninspired games that Double Fine has conceived since its inception.

I'm not bothered about Doublefine producing some titles I'm personally not interested in, if it means they have a chance to appeal to a wider audience and can therefore afford to make games like Stacking.

Ascovel 05-14-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noknowncure (Post 580536)
I'm not bothered about Doublefine producing some titles I'm personally not interested in, if it means they have a chance to appeal to a wider audience and can therefore afford to make games like Stacking.

I agree, but I still found the announcements of these 2 projects disappointing. I guess they're a test of sorts themselves - there's no guarantee they'll catch the attention of a wider audience at all.

Venkman 05-15-2011 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascovel (Post 580532)

They're not even released yet.

noknowncure 05-15-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascovel (Post 580537)
there's no guarantee they'll catch the attention of a wider audience at all.

There'd be even less of a guarantee if they didn't try.

Thorn 05-24-2011 08:15 AM

That was adorable, and very inspiring! :D

Giles Habibula 05-24-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noknowncure (Post 580596)
There'd be even less of a guarantee if they didn't try.

Yep. It's like Jack Burton always says: "Sometimes you just gotta say....What the hell."