You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Tim Schafer's History of Video Games Adventure

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2011, 05:00 AM   #1
The Quiet One

Default Tim Schafer's History of Video Games Adventure

GameSpot are currently doing another 'Video Game History Month' where they cover all the different consoles/hardware, people, games and events that have helped change the video game industry to what it is today.

In 'The People Behind It All' section, this Thursday, is Tim Schafer about his rise to fame, which is both interesting and funny.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 05-13-2011, 05:54 AM   #2

Very cool, must see for every adventurer!
Old 05-14-2011, 05:08 AM   #3
Schattenjäger

really interesting to see tim schafer talk about this stuff. Psychonauts is such a fantastic game, i hope we see many more titles from doublefine.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Thanks for the link - always a pleasure to watch Schafer talk, though I'm disappointed I can't play his new games anymore now that they're not available for PC.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #5

I find the "multi cylinder engine" approach double fine has going now to be really interesting. It could prove to be the model that saves them from becoming just another stagnated bloated game studio pumping out no-brainer un-inspired combat proven games.

I will follow them closely.

Thanks for posting this link
Old 05-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo View Post
I find the "multi cylinder engine" approach double fine has going now to be really interesting. It could prove to be the model that saves them from becoming just another stagnated bloated game studio pumping out no-brainer un-inspired combat proven games.
I'm not sure if this model leads necessarily to original, bold ventures. The last 2 titles that came out of it - some kind of mecha war game with aliens and a Sesame Street game - seem to be the most uninspired games that Double Fine has conceived since its inception.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
I'm not sure if this model leads necessarily to original, bold ventures. The last 2 titles that came out of it - some kind of mecha war game with aliens and a Sesame Street game - seem to be the most uninspired games that Double Fine has conceived since its inception.
I'm not bothered about Doublefine producing some titles I'm personally not interested in, if it means they have a chance to appeal to a wider audience and can therefore afford to make games like Stacking.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noknowncure View Post
I'm not bothered about Doublefine producing some titles I'm personally not interested in, if it means they have a chance to appeal to a wider audience and can therefore afford to make games like Stacking.
I agree, but I still found the announcements of these 2 projects disappointing. I guess they're a test of sorts themselves - there's no guarantee they'll catch the attention of a wider audience at all.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:24 AM   #9

Quote:
They're not even released yet.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:23 AM   #10

Quote:
there's no guarantee they'll catch the attention of a wider audience at all.
There'd be even less of a guarantee if they didn't try.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #11
aye, aye!

That was adorable, and very inspiring!
Website with Fansites [thornleaf.se]
Old 05-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by noknowncure View Post
There'd be even less of a guarantee if they didn't try.
Yep. It's like Jack Burton always says: "Sometimes you just gotta say....What the hell."