Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Movies you watched that felt like an adventure game. (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/26682-movies-you-watched-felt-like-adventure-game.html)

Isak 04-17-2010 12:29 PM

Movies you watched that felt like an adventure game.

I've just seen "The Ghost Writer", by Polanski... Great movie!
Anyway, when I watched the movie, I couldn't help to think that it almost felt like an adventure game. The story, the character development and the twists, just like a good sterotyphical adventure game.
Have you seen any movies where you have had the same feeling?

L-Jazz 04-17-2010 01:25 PM

I really want to go and see that one, seems like a very good movie. It has received very nice reviews here in Sweden so I definitely think it will be worth the money :)

"Shutter Island" seems to me, a perfect story for an adventure game. I thought so when I read the book and I thought so even more after I'd seen the fantastic movie adaption.
Can't help to think that "Overclocked - A history of violence" was more than a little inspired by Lehane's masterpiece of a thriller, so in a way "Shutter Island" already has its adventure game equivalent.

cbman 04-17-2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isak (Post 546010)
I've just seen "The Ghost Writer", by Polanski... Great movie!
Anyway, when I watched the movie, I couldn't help to think that it almost felt like an adventure game. The story, the character development and the twists, just like a good sterotyphical adventure game.

do the words 'good' and 'stereotypical' go together?!

Sorry... :P

Isak 04-17-2010 02:34 PM

Well of course! Take a game like Secret Files: Tunguska. Not original at all looked like a lot of other adventure games, but a great game. Maybe I expressed myself wrong, but I hope you get my point.

gray pierce 04-17-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L-Jazz (Post 546024)
I really want to go and see that one, seems like a very good movie. It has received very nice reviews here in Sweden so I definitely think it will be worth the money :)

"Shutter Island" seems to me, a perfect story for an adventure game. I thought so when I read the book and I thought so even more after I'd seen the fantastic movie adaption.
Can't help to think that "Overclocked - A history of violence" was more than a little inspired by Lehane's masterpiece of a thriller, so in a way "Shutter Island" already has its adventure game equivalent.

20th of May, then it's coming out in our little shithole. But L-Jazz since you're from Sweden I think you're gonna be dissapointed. Sweden produces the best thrillers ever! No way Polanski's gonna top that!

And yes "Overclocked" is "Shutter Island" reworked. I played that game just after I saw the movie (though I love the Kenzie/Genarro series by Lehane I haven't read the novel) and it's very similar. From the assylum itself to the storm, even down to some of the plottwists. Still love the game to pieces though. One of the best games in recent years no doubt!

Ascovel 04-17-2010 04:08 PM

Pirates by Polanski - a slightly darker Monkey Island adventure game :)

gray pierce 04-17-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascovel (Post 546062)
Pirates by Polanski - a slightly darker Monkey Island adventure game :)

Really looking forward to that one but last time I looked it didn't even have a Dutch release date yet. Is it good? Or more likely how good is it?

Trunkyo 04-17-2010 04:39 PM

My heart leaped when I saw this on the shelf at Wal-mart:
http://i48.tinypic.com/w705jm.jpg
As soon I picked it up and read "hidden object adventure game" on the box, I sighed and put it back on the shelf. Oh well. Maybe some of the casual game fans here would like to try it?

When I watched action-adventure movies like Tomb Raider and National Treasure, I couldn't help thinking they seem to play out like adventure games (undiscovered treasure, ancient maps containing clues, trotting from city to city, improbable plot twists).

gray pierce 04-17-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trunkyo (Post 546069)
My heart leaped when I saw this on the shelf at Wal-mart:
http://i48.tinypic.com/w705jm.jpg
As soon I picked it up and read "hidden object adventure game" on the box, I sighed and put it back on the shelf. Oh well. Maybe some of the casual game fans here would like to try it?

When I watched action-adventure movies like Tomb Raider and National Treasure, I couldn't help thinking they seem to play out like adventure games (undiscovered treasure, ancient maps containing clues, trotting from city to city, improbable plot twists).

Sorry for responding to every post now. please, tell me if you find me annoying. I just love talking about movies. Anyways I think it's a real waste making "Shutter Island" a cassual. Though I do like cassual games every now and then I think a story as deep and complex as "Shutter Island" is simply not suited for this particular genre.

National Treasure'd make great adventure games. Looking forward to the third film allready. Tomb Raider however is allready a game franchise (no brainer of the year perhaps?) and allthough I'd love to see it converted into an AG series that's probably not gonna happen anytime soon. Though Underworld was pretty close in a way.

Also to add my two cents: I'd like to see an AG based on "Se7en" Perhaps featuring Somerset on another equally dark case. He's probably one of the greatest characters ever created in cinematic history, lots of thanks to Morgan Freeman who played the character in a wonderful tuned down kind of way. He's certainly my favorite movie character. Even surpassing "Verbal Kint" The concept of a new case wouldn't work as a sequal film but would as a game adaptation. You'd have the killer leaving all kinds of cryptic clues wich Somerset then has to look up in the library. Unlocking codes and stuff. The usual AG tricks.

Also talking about Morgan Freeman, I'd love to see an Alex Cross game. The first two novels ("Along came a Spider" and "Kiss the Girls") were adapted into movies that's why I'm bringing it up. Anyways I hope after "Womes Murder Club" Patterson's gonna give the green light to "Alex Cross" Only not as a casual but as a full fledged AG. It'd be like Art of Murder only a hundred times better! Probably better dream on

booB 04-17-2010 10:32 PM

Memento.

L-Jazz 04-18-2010 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gray pierce (Post 546058)
20th of May, then it's coming out in our little shithole. But L-Jazz since you're from Sweden I think you're gonna be dissapointed. Sweden produces the best thrillers ever! No way Polanski's gonna top that!

And yes "Overclocked" is "Shutter Island" reworked. I played that game just after I saw the movie (though I love the Kenzie/Genarro series by Lehane I haven't read the novel) and it's very similar. From the assylum itself to the storm, even down to some of the plottwists. Still love the game to pieces though. One of the best games in recent years no doubt!

True, but still I think that The Ghostwriter is gonna be very good, at least I hope so. We'll see.

Yeah there are many similarities between the two. The main character's 'fear' of going on the ferry for example, for different reasons though, but still. That's it, I have to start replaying Overclocked tonight! Also one of my favorite games en recent years :)

gray pierce 04-18-2010 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L-Jazz (Post 546138)
True, but still I think that The Ghostwriter is gonna be very good, at least I hope so. We'll see.

Yeah there are many similarities between the two. The main character's 'fear' of going on the ferry for example, for different reasons though, but still. That's it, I have to start replaying Overclocked tonight! Also one of my favorite games en recent years :)

Yeah I agree, The Ghostwriter's gonna be good. Just not as good as most Swedish thrillers but good anyway

And I envy you so much! I wish I had time to replay Overclocked but I don't. Keep me posted if you find anything new second time 'round.

Mohlin 04-18-2010 09:37 AM

Saw I + II (have not seen the rest) are some kind of horror adventure/puzzle games (movies). The first one is a classic "get out of the room" and the second an extension of that.

gray pierce 04-18-2010 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohlin (Post 546150)
Saw I + II (have not seen the rest) are some kind of horror adventure/puzzle games (movies). The first one is a classic "get out of the room" and the second an extension of that.

I haven't played the game because of all the bad reviews but isn't "Still Life 2" a lot like "Saw" ?

Ascovel 04-18-2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gray pierce (Post 546068)
Really looking forward to that one but last time I looked it didn't even have a Dutch release date yet. Is it good? Or more likely how good is it?

For me it's the best pirate movie out there, but you have to see it and judge it for yourself.

gray pierce 04-18-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascovel (Post 546158)
For me it's the best pirate movie out there, but you have to see it and judge it for yourself.

Will certainly do!

EDIT: I've looked it up and it looks really good but it's a completely different movie than the one I was talking about. That movie is also called "Pirates" but no info about it has been released and with Polanski back with "The Ghost Writer" I emediatly assumed that must've been the movie you refered to. Now I'm not looking forward to it that much anymore. Will just see exactly what it is first. Anyways, still definetly gonna watch Polanski's "Pirates"as soon as I got time.

Isak 04-18-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gray pierce (Post 546146)
Yeah I agree, The Ghostwriter's gonna be good. Just not as good as most Swedish thrillers but good anyway

Do you have any specific movies in mind? I think 95 % of the Swedish movies are terrible, like Beck (the same script in every movie, almost) and all the other detective thrillers are kinda the same (Wallander, Johan Falk, etc...)
Although, I was surprised when I watched the movies based on Steig Larssons books (Män som hatar kvinnor = The girl with the dragon tatoo, and the other two) - they were really good! By the way, I actually lived on the same street for many years as where Mikael Blomqvist office is located in the books/movies! :)

Mohlin 04-18-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gray pierce (Post 546152)
I haven't played the game because of all the bad reviews but isn't "Still Life 2" a lot like "Saw" ?

Haven't played the Saw games, and Still Life 1 I never finished, actually. So I can not help you there I'm afraid.

gray pierce 04-18-2010 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isak (Post 546173)
Do you have any specific movies in mind? I think 95 % of the Swedish movies are terrible, like Beck (the same script in every movie, almost) and all the other detective thrillers are kinda the same (Wallander, Johan Falk, etc...)
Although, I was surprised when I watched the movies based on Steig Larssons books (Män som hatar kvinnor = The girl with the dragon tatoo, and the other two) - they were really good! By the way, I actually lived on the same street for many years as where Mikael Blomqvist office is located in the books/movies! :)

I guess it's a matter of taste but I love Wallander both the novel adaptations as well as the fantastic new films starring Krister Henrikson as the titular character. Apart from the "Millenium" adaptations you mentioned I also really liked the "Irene Huss" series of films though I sadly haven't read the novels. But no I don't like "Beck" either. I think that's the exception that proves the rule. (wich it turns out, is not exactly a rule after all)

gray pierce 04-18-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohlin (Post 546175)
Haven't played the Saw games, and Still Life 1 I never finished, actually. So I can not help you there I'm afraid.

Sorry for double posting here but I saw you're ppst to late I'm afraid. Anyways I know you're a very puzzle centric gamer but I'd still very much advise you to finish "Still Life" It's really one of the best interactive thrillers I've ever played. The story must appeal even to the most non-story centric gamer. Besides there are some really hard puzzzles in that game.

Roman5 04-18-2010 07:03 PM

Can't think of a movie at the moment, but I have been to places that made me think I was actually right in a game myself. :)

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...ad.php?t=10483

Mohlin 04-19-2010 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gray pierce (Post 546181)
Sorry for double posting here but I saw you're ppst to late I'm afraid. Anyways I know you're a very puzzle centric gamer but I'd still very much advise you to finish "Still Life" It's really one of the best interactive thrillers I've ever played. The story must appeal even to the most non-story centric gamer. Besides there are some really hard puzzzles in that game.

The reason I didn't finish is actually a complete PC crash. I just didn't have the energy to start all over again.

Oh, by the way. I got the cookie-puzzle in first try. :D

gray pierce 04-19-2010 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohlin (Post 546223)
The reason I didn't finish is actually a complete PC crash. I just didn't have the energy to start all over again.

Oh, by the way. I got the cookie-puzzle in first try. :D

I'm not surprised. You know that saying you're a story centric gamer is just a fancy way of saying you suck at puzzles right?:D

Little Writer 04-19-2010 02:38 AM

You're gonna laugh at this, but "Dude, where's my car?", perhaps more in the "Sam & Max" variety of adventure games.

Mohlin 04-19-2010 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gray pierce (Post 546230)
I'm not surprised. You know that saying you're a story centric gamer is just a fancy way of saying you suck at puzzles right?:D

That's a good one! :devil: I totally agree!

Stain 04-19-2010 04:30 AM

Definitely The Ring (the American version of the Japanese Horor movie Ringu. A mysterious death that leads our hero to investigate, finding one clue after another that introduces more strange characters and locations as the movie progresses. By the end it had that frantic race against the clock to save the day (trying to be vague and spoiler-free, but my wife and I both agreed it felt like we were watching an adventure game walkthough).

Stain

LeisureSuitedLooney 04-19-2010 04:37 AM

How about The Hangover? Group of buddies have to locate their missing friend after a wild bachelor party, and all they have to go by are a series of photos and vague clues.

Or Paycheck: Ben Affleck starred as a guy who has his memory erased after working on some top-secret technology. He set up clues for himself to find, so that he can get the large amount of money he was promised. Many of the film's sequences involve puzzle-solving, would make a fun game.

Oh, and it works in reverse, too...try watching Deuce Bigelow and NOT thinking of it as a Leisure Suit Larry movie! Weird similarities there. Too many to write off as coincidence.

L-Jazz 04-19-2010 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isak (Post 546173)

That's kind of harsh I think, but taste is so individual and I guess a discussion around why you think most Swedish movies are terrible is a bit off topic.
Just have to say that I really like the Beck and Johan Falk movies and Irene Huss too, as someone mentioned. Also Solstorm and the Winter movies are really nice :)

On topic once again, I think "Mystic River" could be a very good adventure game, or maybe I'm just a sucker for Dennis Lehane.. oh well, so be it :)

Oh! did anyone see the tv-show "Harper's Island" that aired last year? Basically a group of people (wedding guests, friends and family) trapped on an island where a serial killer killed a bunch of people a long time ago and somehow the killings start again even though he's supposed to be dead.
That would make a totally awesome game, I want it now! :D

thejobloshow 04-19-2010 05:16 AM

Not a movie per se but I always thought the mini-series, Gulliver's Travels with Ted Danson would lend itself to a very expansive adventure game. I think it was specifically because of the situations and obstacles that Gulliver would find himself was very much of an adventure game nature rather than an action or puzzle game. Adapting to the unusual environments Gulliver would find himself to avoid peril and find his way home. Great mini-series and a definite recommend from me.

Another one would be After Hours but I'm not sure if I picked it just because the lead actor reminds me of Larry Laffer.

gray pierce 04-19-2010 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L-Jazz (Post 546243)
That's kind of harsh I think, but taste is so individual and I guess a discussion around why you think most Swedish movies are terrible is a bit off topic.
Just have to say that I really like the Beck and Johan Falk movies and Irene Huss too, as someone mentioned. Also Solstorm and the Winter movies are really nice :)

On topic once again, I think "Mystic River" could be a very good adventure game, or maybe I'm just a sucker for Dennis Lehane.. oh well, so be it :)

Oh! did anyone see the tv-show "Harper's Island" that aired last year? Basically a group of people (wedding guests, friends and family) trapped on an island where a serial killer killed a bunch of people a long time ago and somehow the killings start again even though he's supposed to be dead.
That would make a totally awesome game, I want it now! :D

As a matter of fact I'm currently writing a visual novel that's very much in the style of Lehane.

And yes I've seen "Harper's Island" Really nice series. Way better "And Then there Were None" adaptation than "Mindhunters" and yes could be a really good game.

KasiaD 04-19-2010 10:05 AM

"9th Gate" - also by Polański. I almost felt i could click on Johny Depp to move to the next location.
Also - "From Hell" - resembled Jack the Ripper game very much,
"Twin Peaks" series

nonax 04-19-2010 01:15 PM

The Truman Show could be an AG. You will have to find clues about what is going on and finally escape the set.

inm8#2 04-19-2010 10:25 PM

Angel Heart definitely.

Had to have been an influence on Jane Jensen's interest in New Orleans and/or voodoo.

joxer 04-20-2010 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L-Jazz (Post 546024)
...here in Sweden...

Sweden? And you're looking for mystery/thriller somewhere else? I'm not from Sweden, but this is probably the best thing I've seen in past few months:

Millenium

This movie trilogy is an adventuregamelike masterpiece. I'm unsure why most of the viewers from Sweden claim it's not good, perhaps they've read the books (I haven't), but all other countries adore it. Get somewhere or watch all three movies:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Män som hatar kvinnor):
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/millenium_le_film/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1132620/

The Girl Who Played with Fire (Flickan som lekte med elden):
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1216487/

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Luftslottet som sprängdes):
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343097/

http://i40.tinypic.com/289c0n4.jpg

If someone ever gets to make a real adventure game based on this movie trilogy (or books), I'm 100% sure it will be a success.

gray pierce 04-20-2010 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joxer (Post 546359)
Sweden? And you're looking for mystery/thriller somewhere else? I'm not from Sweden, but this is probably the best thing I've seen in past few months:

Millenium

This movie trilogy is an adventuregamelike masterpiece. I'm unsure why most of the viewers from Sweden claim it's not good, perhaps they've read the books (I haven't), but all other countries adore it. Get somewhere or watch all three movies:

If someone ever gets to make a real adventure game based on this movie trilogy (or books), I'm 100% sure it will be a success.

As much as I love the millenium films I'm starting to get worried they'll overshadow the other excellent (at least in my opinion) Swedish thrillers.

Also I don't know wich Swedish viewers you've spoken to but for as far as I know the only movie that got critical aclaim from the readers is "Flickan som Lekte Med Elden" ("The Girl who Played With Fire") and it should as it is, contrary to the other two films, indeed not very close to the novel and as a result significantly less good. It's still a good film though but it could've been mindblowingly great like the other two films.

L-Jazz 04-20-2010 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joxer (Post 546359)

Millenium

Well, I guess I'm just so used to the Swedish thrillers. Even though I think that a lot of them are very good. It's nice with other stories and also other actors for a change.

And I hadn't read or seen any of them until they started showing the extended movie versions (3 hours/film) here on Swedish television a couple of weeks ago actually. The reason for this was that I refused to read the book when it came out in 05 because of the insane hype around it. I was worried it would be such a let down so I decided not to even read it. Then the movies came and I was going to see them, but then I thought I should read the books first because the book is almost always better than the movie, and so I argued with myself for a year or so, until they aired them on TV and I thought 'What the hell, I'll watch them now' and I was just so blown away by how good they were!

joxer 04-20-2010 07:53 AM

Gray Pierce, L-Jazz, imdb posters from Sweden are not very fond of those movies. I really can't see why, I've enjoyed every single second of those movies.
But you say Sweden has more good thrillers besides this one - please do share titles if they're available somewhere besides theatres because we don't see much of nonhollywood movies here :( (for example if a DVD can be found on amazon).

And for Gray Pierce since it's stated that he's from Netherlands... Recently I bought Black Book (Zwartboek) DVD. It never played in our theatres (Croatia here). To be honest it also has an adventure points in some parts, for example putting a mic under the wall picture and searching for the betrayer... But it's more of a war movie than thriller/mystery. Nevertheless, it's another masterpiece movie.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389557/
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10007417-black_book/

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../Zwartboek.jpg

gray pierce 04-20-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joxer (Post 546379)
Gray Pierce, L-Jazz, imdb posters from Sweden are not very fond of those movies. I really can't see why, I've enjoyed every single second of those movies.
But you say Sweden has more good thrillers besides this one - please do share titles if they're available somewhere besides theatres because we don't see much of nonhollywood movies here :( (for example if a DVD can be found on amazon).

And for Gray Pierce since it's stated that he's from Netherlands... Recently I bought Black Book (Zwartboek) DVD. It never played in our theatres (Croatia here). To be honest it also has an adventure points in some parts, for example putting a mic under the wall picture and searching for the betrayer... But it's more of a war movie than thriller/mystery. Nevertheless, it's another masterpiece movie.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389557/
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10007417-black_book/

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../Zwartboek.jpg

It is? Wow! I haven't watched it, I hate Dutch movies so much I never gave this one a shot. Maybe I will now. Thanks! I'd love to see a good Dutch for the first time in my life.

Also I am from the Netherlands (at least last time I checked) but I'm not exactly proud of it. I refer to it as a "shithole" for a reason. The only thing I like about this country is that they publish Belgian comicbooks here. Though of course not as much as in Belgium. So then again... Oh and there are some people living here I like so I guess that counts as well. Unfortunately they're in the very vast minority as I find most people here very rude. It's still a lot better than Burkina Faso though.;)

PS: Fellow Dutchies who find this post offensive: I'm not saying that Holland is a unpleasant country or that all Dutch people are rude. I'm just describing my findings and feelings that go along with it. Maybe I've just seen the wrong side of Holland.

beverheim 04-20-2010 10:53 PM

"National Treasure" really felt like a typical adventuregame - always look for some cues to find the next location, use whatever you can pick up to overcome some obstacles and of course a hunt for some ancient treasure.

The TV-series MacGyver also feels like your standard issue point & click adventure: Pick up whatever objects available and combine them in som eingenious and surprising way to overcome some impossible obstacle.

And of course - The Pirates of the Caribbean. The whole thing felt like a rip-off from the Monkey Island series. Ghost pirates, voodoo ladies and curses - you find them all there.

maladroid 04-21-2010 02:08 AM

I also enjoyed "Shutter Island" a lot but around the time that the great plot revelations hit, I couldnt help thinking of Downfall for some reason. Now that it's mentioned though, Overclocked seems like a more appropriate affiliate, I suppose.

Even moreso because when I stumbled upon this strange movie from Norway the other day (originally called "Naboer" but translated into "Next Door") and this one truly felt like it inspired Downfall or even got inspired by Silent Hill 2 in a sense (I always thought these two games come from the same dark corners of the collective unconsious for some reason).

On a side note, I thought "Let the right one in" (Lat den ratte komma in) was a great Swedish thriller, although I am not sure it would translate very well as a game since the possibilities of physical interaction with the environment and the characters seemed pretty limited, it was all about silent understanding and sympathising.

As of movies that feel a lot like (potential) adventure games, I'd have to agree with "9th Gate" and also propose "Twelve Monkeys" as an interesting candidate.