Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Gabriel Knight now available on GoG.com! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/26222-gabriel-knight-now-available-gog-com.html)

tastebud 01-28-2010 03:10 AM

Gabriel Knight now available on GoG.com!

i just creamed my pants when i saw this. just letting you guys know. gabriel knight is available now (1st one, im assuming the others will come later).

orient 01-28-2010 03:19 AM

I've been waiting for a digital re-release of this game for awhile now. I finally get to play Gabriel Knight...and for only $5.99 and a 370mb download :D

geggis 01-28-2010 03:28 AM

And during the community playthrough! :frusty:

DustyShinigami 01-28-2010 04:25 AM

No Waaaaay! :crazy: Ha, Ha! Cool. :7 I was wondering what that timer was all about. I suspected it was gonna be something good. Like some of the classic LucasArts adventures or something. GOG are just getting better and better with these classic new releases. Looks like Activision have seen the light... sort of. :P

Ascovel 01-28-2010 04:42 AM

Nice. This also means the classics are getting more attention from the wider public.

UPtimist 01-28-2010 04:46 AM

Wow.

Now GK2 and all is perfect.

Roper Klacks 01-28-2010 05:14 AM

Great! It's a lot easier to get other people interested in the game when its easily available in a digital platform. Hope it also comes to Steam though, there's where i have all my digital collection.

DustyShinigami 01-28-2010 05:17 AM

I think I'll buy the GOG version at some point just to see what the free wallpaper is like. :D

HaroldO 01-28-2010 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roper Klacks (Post 537139)
Great! It's a lot easier to get other people interested in the game when its easily available in a digital platform. Hope it also comes to Steam though, there's where i have all my digital collection.

If I may suggest, buy it from GOG and then add the game to your steam list. This way you can keep your games organized the way you want and you're also supporting a good digital distribution platform that offers DRM-free games with extra (and some times exclusive) content like hi-res Wallpapers.

I think I'll get Gabriel Knight later. I'm starting to think my "to play" pile is going to collapse on top of me any time soon.

booB 01-28-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roper Klacks (Post 537139)

I thought the whole point of GOG was that the games are optimized by them to play properly on the newest operating systems. Steam doesn't do this; they simply offer the games in the latest form offered by the publisher, and if they have incompatibility issues, you're out of luck. Given all the trouble people have been having with getting GK to play on their modern computers, I'd much rather go for the GOG version.

Roper Klacks 01-28-2010 09:37 AM

Don't get me wrong, i love GoG and i will buy a copy there (its pretty cheap). Its just... i'm Steam addicted and i really like to have all my games linked to my Steam account. It wasn't going to be the first time i would buy a game i already physically own, in Steam, if GK comes to Steam i would buy my 3rd copy (phyisical, GoG and Steam :P)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaroldO (Post 537152)
If I may suggest, buy it from GOG and then add the game to your steam list.

Yeah, if you play only in one PC its a good suggestion, however i play frequently on 2 pc's, and its very convenient to have my games directly linked to my Steam account, so that i can download on both pc's whenever i wish

Bandersnatch 01-28-2010 10:46 AM

Can you transfer saves to the GoG version? I'd love to get it if it runs better than it does for me right now and doesn't have graphical glitches.

DustyShinigami 01-28-2010 11:12 AM

Here's what the wallpapers and avatars are like:

http://i50.tinypic.com/63snzq.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/abdbm.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/nqb8f6.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/261kexf.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/nlwfow.jpg

HaroldO 01-28-2010 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roper Klacks (Post 537169)
Don't get me wrong, i love GoG and i will buy a copy there (its pretty cheap). Its just... i'm Steam addicted and i really like to have all my games linked to my Steam account. It wasn't going to be the first time i would buy a game i already physically own, in Steam, if GK comes to Steam i would buy my 3rd copy (phyisical, GoG and Steam :P)

Yeah, if you play only in one PC its a good suggestion, however i play frequently on 2 pc's, and its very convenient to have my games directly linked to my Steam account, so that i can download on both pc's whenever i wish

It's ok if that's what you prefer but you can do the same thing with gog. you can download games you purchased any time want. You only need a browser and a internet connection. No activation, no other software required, no mandatory updates.

If you want to try the service, create an account and download one of their free games (Beneath a Steel Sky, Teenagent or Lure of the Temptress). Anyway, the final decision is yours :)

Roper Klacks 01-28-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaroldO (Post 537190)
If you want to try the service, create an account and download one of their free games (Beneath a Steel Sky, Teenagent or Lure of the Temptress). Anyway, the final decision is yours :)

I already use GoG, i have Bass, Fallout, 1nsane and a couple others.

Fantasysci5 01-28-2010 11:51 AM

Wow, that's great that it's getting a more wide audience. I just glanced on there and saw "RealMyst" was $5! It's more that $30 on Amazon, and it used to be $60!! :crazy:

nonax 01-28-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booB (Post 537167)
I thought the whole point of GOG was that the games are optimized by them to play properly on the newest operating systems. Steam doesn't do this; they simply offer the games in the latest form offered by the publisher, and if they have incompatibility issues, you're out of luck. Given all the trouble people have been having with getting GK to play on their modern computers, I'd much rather go for the GOG version.

That is not entirely true, both GOG and Steam use virtual machines like DosBox and ScummVM. GK1 on GOG also uses DosBox.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roper Klacks (Post 537169)

On GOG you have your personal game-shelf so you can download your games any time to any machine

For the record: I love both GOG and Steam very much! There are so many adventure games available nowadays. When I had to rely on the retail shops in town the choice of games was very limited. Also no more bidding on amazon by obscure dealers and waiting in dispair for the package to finally arrive. No, today GOG delivered GK1 directly on my hard drive in just 3 minutes!

nonax 01-28-2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandersnatch (Post 537184)
Can you transfer saves to the GoG version? I'd love to get it if it runs better than it does for me right now and doesn't have graphical glitches.

This will probably work because the GOG version probably uses the original in DosBox. You must copy all files starting with GKSA (for example GKSA.cat and GKSA.000) from you original location to c:\program files\GOG.com\Gabriel Knight.

GOG has configured DosBox to run GK smoothly, so it should run ok.

UK_John 01-30-2010 08:22 PM

Some people on the GOG forums have mentioned sound problems with conversations partly cutting out.

If you have that problem this is what I recommend,. as it fixed it for me.

extract gk1.gog to a folder, burn it to CD, download the Gabriel Knight XP installer from the Vogons site, run the XP installer and let it install the game. Before starting the game, go to you sound options and turn sound acceleration down to 'none', play the game from the icon and enjoy FMV windows that are 2.5 times bigger than in DOS and intro/credits that run at full size, making them a pleasure to watch while that fantastic them tune plays! :)

GigaWatt 12-05-2010 05:55 AM

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers

Thanks fly out to Gazzoid and Roper Klacks for helping me out. Good luck, guys.

With respect to all AVG community, GigaWatt.