You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gabriel Knight now available on GoG.com!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 03:10 AM   #1

Default Gabriel Knight now available on GoG.com!

i just creamed my pants when i saw this. just letting you guys know. gabriel knight is available now (1st one, im assuming the others will come later).
Old 01-28-2010, 03:19 AM   #2

I've been waiting for a digital re-release of this game for awhile now. I finally get to play Gabriel Knight...and for only $5.99 and a 370mb download
Old 01-28-2010, 03:28 AM   #3
the midnight rambler

And during the community playthrough!
Old 01-28-2010, 04:25 AM   #4
The Quiet One

No Waaaaay! Ha, Ha! Cool. I was wondering what that timer was all about. I suspected it was gonna be something good. Like some of the classic LucasArts adventures or something. GOG are just getting better and better with these classic new releases. Looks like Activision have seen the light... sort of.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-28-2010, 04:42 AM   #5
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Nice. This also means the classics are getting more attention from the wider public.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:46 AM   #6
Life and times of...

Wow.

Now GK2 and all is perfect.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:14 AM   #7

Great! It's a lot easier to get other people interested in the game when its easily available in a digital platform. Hope it also comes to Steam though, there's where i have all my digital collection.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:17 AM   #8
The Quiet One

I think I'll buy the GOG version at some point just to see what the free wallpaper is like.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-28-2010, 06:52 AM   #9
Cabbage Merchant

Send a message via MSN to HaroldO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
Great! It's a lot easier to get other people interested in the game when its easily available in a digital platform. Hope it also comes to Steam though, there's where i have all my digital collection.
If I may suggest, buy it from GOG and then add the game to your steam list. This way you can keep your games organized the way you want and you're also supporting a good digital distribution platform that offers DRM-free games with extra (and some times exclusive) content like hi-res Wallpapers.

I think I'll get Gabriel Knight later. I'm starting to think my "to play" pile is going to collapse on top of me any time soon.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #10
Junior Mint

Quote:
I thought the whole point of GOG was that the games are optimized by them to play properly on the newest operating systems. Steam doesn't do this; they simply offer the games in the latest form offered by the publisher, and if they have incompatibility issues, you're out of luck. Given all the trouble people have been having with getting GK to play on their modern computers, I'd much rather go for the GOG version.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #11

Don't get me wrong, i love GoG and i will buy a copy there (its pretty cheap). Its just... i'm Steam addicted and i really like to have all my games linked to my Steam account. It wasn't going to be the first time i would buy a game i already physically own, in Steam, if GK comes to Steam i would buy my 3rd copy (phyisical, GoG and Steam )

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldO View Post
If I may suggest, buy it from GOG and then add the game to your steam list.
Yeah, if you play only in one PC its a good suggestion, however i play frequently on 2 pc's, and its very convenient to have my games directly linked to my Steam account, so that i can download on both pc's whenever i wish
Old 01-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #12

Can you transfer saves to the GoG version? I'd love to get it if it runs better than it does for me right now and doesn't have graphical glitches.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:12 AM   #13
The Quiet One

Here's what the wallpapers and avatars are like:

Old 01-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #14
Cabbage Merchant

Send a message via MSN to HaroldO

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, i love GoG and i will buy a copy there (its pretty cheap). Its just... i'm Steam addicted and i really like to have all my games linked to my Steam account. It wasn't going to be the first time i would buy a game i already physically own, in Steam, if GK comes to Steam i would buy my 3rd copy (phyisical, GoG and Steam )

Yeah, if you play only in one PC its a good suggestion, however i play frequently on 2 pc's, and its very convenient to have my games directly linked to my Steam account, so that i can download on both pc's whenever i wish
It's ok if that's what you prefer but you can do the same thing with gog. you can download games you purchased any time want. You only need a browser and a internet connection. No activation, no other software required, no mandatory updates.

If you want to try the service, create an account and download one of their free games (Beneath a Steel Sky, Teenagent or Lure of the Temptress). Anyway, the final decision is yours
Old 01-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldO View Post
If you want to try the service, create an account and download one of their free games (Beneath a Steel Sky, Teenagent or Lure of the Temptress). Anyway, the final decision is yours
I already use GoG, i have Bass, Fallout, 1nsane and a couple others.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:51 AM   #16
Stalker of Britain

Wow, that's great that it's getting a more wide audience. I just glanced on there and saw "RealMyst" was $5! It's more that $30 on Amazon, and it used to be $60!!
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by booB View Post
I thought the whole point of GOG was that the games are optimized by them to play properly on the newest operating systems. Steam doesn't do this; they simply offer the games in the latest form offered by the publisher, and if they have incompatibility issues, you're out of luck. Given all the trouble people have been having with getting GK to play on their modern computers, I'd much rather go for the GOG version.
That is not entirely true, both GOG and Steam use virtual machines like DosBox and ScummVM. GK1 on GOG also uses DosBox.

Quote:
On GOG you have your personal game-shelf so you can download your games any time to any machine

For the record: I love both GOG and Steam very much! There are so many adventure games available nowadays. When I had to rely on the retail shops in town the choice of games was very limited. Also no more bidding on amazon by obscure dealers and waiting in dispair for the package to finally arrive. No, today GOG delivered GK1 directly on my hard drive in just 3 minutes!
Old 01-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post
Can you transfer saves to the GoG version? I'd love to get it if it runs better than it does for me right now and doesn't have graphical glitches.
This will probably work because the GOG version probably uses the original in DosBox. You must copy all files starting with GKSA (for example GKSA.cat and GKSA.000) from you original location to cprogram files\GOG.com\Gabriel Knight.

GOG has configured DosBox to run GK smoothly, so it should run ok.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #19

Some people on the GOG forums have mentioned sound problems with conversations partly cutting out.

If you have that problem this is what I recommend,. as it fixed it for me.

extract gk1.gog to a folder, burn it to CD, download the Gabriel Knight XP installer from the Vogons site, run the XP installer and let it install the game. Before starting the game, go to you sound options and turn sound acceleration down to 'none', play the game from the icon and enjoy FMV windows that are 2.5 times bigger than in DOS and intro/credits that run at full size, making them a pleasure to watch while that fantastic them tune plays!
Old 12-05-2010, 05:55 AM   #20

Default Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers

Thanks fly out to Gazzoid and Roper Klacks for helping me out. Good luck, guys.

With respect to all AVG community, GigaWatt.

Last edited by GigaWatt; 12-05-2010 at 06:42 PM.