Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Funcom (makers of Dreamfall) is struggling and laying off employees (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/25620-funcom-makers-dreamfall-struggling-laying-off-employees.html)

skurken 10-09-2009 02:03 PM

Funcom (makers of Dreamfall) is struggling and laying off employees

See here

:(

Edit: oops, old(ish) news,maybe this has been discussed here before.

3rdFloor 10-09-2009 03:19 PM

Yeah, it's pretty sad. Apparently, that Age of Conan MMO was too expensive to make, and didn't exactly sold as expected.

Fantasysci5 10-10-2009 06:52 AM

That's so sad. I don't think we'll ever see the rest of the "Longest Journey" world...

rottford 10-10-2009 07:50 AM

To think that all the promotion in that episode of The Big Bang Theory didn't raise enough sales for Age of Conan...

AndreaDraco83 10-10-2009 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rottford (Post 525975)
To think that all the promotion in that episode of The Big Bang Theory didn't raise enough sales for Age of Conan...

At least it was a wonderful episode :P

Anyway, it's soon for us to say whether we'll see Chapters or not. Maybe not momentarily, but I believe in Ragnar Tornquist's willingness to complete the trilogy.

Lee in Limbo 10-10-2009 11:38 AM

Well, that explains the delay on The Secret World. Certainly hope it doesn't get any worse.

orient 10-10-2009 07:00 PM

Maybe making a game with such an open-ended finale - and promising to complete said series through episodic content, which could come out anytime in the next few decades or so, wasn't the best way to handle a story-driven adventure game series. Just sayin'.

ProggleRock 10-11-2009 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orient (Post 526027)
Maybe making a game with such an open-ended finale - and promising to complete said series through episodic content, which could come out anytime in the next few decades or so, wasn't the best way to handle a story-driven adventure game series. Just sayin'.

Someone had to say it. As sad as I am for the employees and the franchise, it also further fuels my disdain for the direction they decided to take with TLJ (stories that aren't resolved, episodes, etc).

ozzie 10-11-2009 08:24 AM

Ragnar Tørnquist updated his blog regarding the future of Dreamfall Chapters. http://ragnartornquist.com/?p=746
Nothing is definite, as it seems.

AndreaDraco83 10-11-2009 09:13 AM

Ah, a temporary hold. Very comforting.

courderoy guy 10-11-2009 02:31 PM

Hope it comes out someday, I'll be waiting for it. Also actually interested in TSW as well!

Little Writer 10-11-2009 11:53 PM

This kind of reminds me of the nineteen years of speculation involving Indy 4.

All kinds of joy erupted when the movie was finally officially announced.

Then half of that joy turned into horror once the movie was released.

Ascovel 10-13-2009 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProggleRock (Post 526067)
Someone had to say it. As sad as I am for the employees and the franchise, it also further fuels my disdain for the direction they decided to take with TLJ (stories that aren't resolved, episodes, etc).

It's much easier to end a story with a twist and an intriguing mystery than a meaningful and effective closure to everything. And when you keep the audience guessing for years then every possible climax will be a disappointment.

So I don't understand why everybody is so sure that Funcom would ever create a TLJ game where everything is resolved. More probably they would just keep replacing old questions with new ones.

inflikkt 10-13-2009 07:35 PM

i think its really lame that they decided to try making mmo's... and the fact age of conan pretty much failed is even more annoying... im pretty sure tsw will bomb out just the same.

why cant he just focus his efforts on longest journey? that is probably the single greatest adventure series ever created and now the guy/company just wants to make mmo's. i duno about u all but i got my fill of that junk from the years i played of wow. lol *frustrating*

After a brisk nap 10-14-2009 06:10 AM

Ragnar Tørnquist doesn't own and he doesn't run Funcom. It's not really his call what games the company will produce. And Anarchy Online was their biggest hit, so it's not too surprising that they want to keep doing MMORPGs.

Roper Klacks 10-14-2009 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inflikkt (Post 526302)
i think its really lame that they decided to try making mmo's... and the fact age of conan pretty much failed is even more annoying... im pretty sure tsw will bomb out just the same.

Probably those MMO's even being a relative failure (like Age of Conan) make a lot more money than Dreamfall chapters will ever make

Little Writer 10-14-2009 10:38 PM

Perhaps the only way we'll ever see a continuation, is when the license has expired and Tornquist can go to a different company. How many years is that again? 50? :frusty:

ProggleRock 10-15-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascovel (Post 526241)
It's much easier to end a story with a twist and an intriguing mystery than a meaningful and effective closure to everything. And when you keep the audience guessing for years then every possible climax will be a disappointment.

So...you agree with me?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascovel (Post 526241)
So I don't understand why everybody is so sure that Funcom would ever create a TLJ game where everything is resolved. More probably they would just keep replacing old questions with new ones.

Well, for one, the original TLJ was resolved. But my main argument for resolution is because it's makes the game better in every way. And not everything needs to be resolved at the end of a story, but at least something should be to give the player some sort of emotional reward for reaching the end.

Ascovel 10-15-2009 01:04 PM

I definitely agree with this part:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProggleRock (Post 526416)
And not everything needs to be resolved at the end of a story, but at least something should be to give the player some sort of emotional reward for reaching the end.

But there are many stories and (TV series) that just never end properly. They are already created with the intention to be kept alive as long as it is possible. I may be mistaken by the TLJ games seem to be this way a bit.

Little Writer 10-15-2009 09:33 PM

You know, I finished TLJ not that long ago, and I was perfectly happy with how it ended. Then I came here and read all about people complaining about the lack of resolution and I was all, "What, you people never watch movies/tv shows/other game endings?" I mean, I felt completed and rewarded enough.

Not so with Dreamfall. That's a whole different story. But I really liked the game as a sequel to TLJ, but then once again I come here and read all about people complaining it's no true sequel at all, it doesn't resolve anything about TLJ.

So people have different perspectives on things and some are more easily satisfied, or others harder to please depending on how you look at it.