You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Funcom (makers of Dreamfall) is struggling and laying off employees

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #1

Default Funcom (makers of Dreamfall) is struggling and laying off employees

See here

Edit: oops, old(ish) news,maybe this has been discussed here before.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #2

Yeah, it's pretty sad. Apparently, that Age of Conan MMO was too expensive to make, and didn't exactly sold as expected.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:52 AM   #3
Stalker of Britain

That's so sad. I don't think we'll ever see the rest of the "Longest Journey" world...
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 10-10-2009, 07:50 AM   #4

To think that all the promotion in that episode of The Big Bang Theory didn't raise enough sales for Age of Conan...
Old 10-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottford View Post
To think that all the promotion in that episode of The Big Bang Theory didn't raise enough sales for Age of Conan...
At least it was a wonderful episode

Anyway, it's soon for us to say whether we'll see Chapters or not. Maybe not momentarily, but I believe in Ragnar Tornquist's willingness to complete the trilogy.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 10-10-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
It's Hard To Be Humble

Well, that explains the delay on The Secret World. Certainly hope it doesn't get any worse.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #7

Maybe making a game with such an open-ended finale - and promising to complete said series through episodic content, which could come out anytime in the next few decades or so, wasn't the best way to handle a story-driven adventure game series. Just sayin'.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:03 AM   #8
Adventure Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
Maybe making a game with such an open-ended finale - and promising to complete said series through episodic content, which could come out anytime in the next few decades or so, wasn't the best way to handle a story-driven adventure game series. Just sayin'.
Someone had to say it. As sad as I am for the employees and the franchise, it also further fuels my disdain for the direction they decided to take with TLJ (stories that aren't resolved, episodes, etc).
Old 10-11-2009, 08:24 AM   #9

Ragnar Tørnquist updated his blog regarding the future of Dreamfall Chapters. http://ragnartornquist.com/?p=746
Nothing is definite, as it seems.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:13 AM   #10

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Ah, a temporary hold. Very comforting.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 10-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #11

Hope it comes out someday, I'll be waiting for it. Also actually interested in TSW as well!
Old 10-11-2009, 11:53 PM   #12

This kind of reminds me of the nineteen years of speculation involving Indy 4.

All kinds of joy erupted when the movie was finally officially announced.

Then half of that joy turned into horror once the movie was released.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 10-13-2009, 03:22 AM   #13
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProggleRock View Post
Someone had to say it. As sad as I am for the employees and the franchise, it also further fuels my disdain for the direction they decided to take with TLJ (stories that aren't resolved, episodes, etc).
It's much easier to end a story with a twist and an intriguing mystery than a meaningful and effective closure to everything. And when you keep the audience guessing for years then every possible climax will be a disappointment.

So I don't understand why everybody is so sure that Funcom would ever create a TLJ game where everything is resolved. More probably they would just keep replacing old questions with new ones.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:35 PM   #14
Replicant

Send a message via AIM to inflikkt

i think its really lame that they decided to try making mmo's... and the fact age of conan pretty much failed is even more annoying... im pretty sure tsw will bomb out just the same.

why cant he just focus his efforts on longest journey? that is probably the single greatest adventure series ever created and now the guy/company just wants to make mmo's. i duno about u all but i got my fill of that junk from the years i played of wow. lol *frustrating*
Old 10-14-2009, 06:10 AM   #15
Elegantly copy+pasted

Ragnar Tørnquist doesn't own and he doesn't run Funcom. It's not really his call what games the company will produce. And Anarchy Online was their biggest hit, so it's not too surprising that they want to keep doing MMORPGs.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflikkt View Post
i think its really lame that they decided to try making mmo's... and the fact age of conan pretty much failed is even more annoying... im pretty sure tsw will bomb out just the same.
Probably those MMO's even being a relative failure (like Age of Conan) make a lot more money than Dreamfall chapters will ever make
Old 10-14-2009, 10:38 PM   #17

Perhaps the only way we'll ever see a continuation, is when the license has expired and Tornquist can go to a different company. How many years is that again? 50?

Old 10-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #18
Adventure Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
It's much easier to end a story with a twist and an intriguing mystery than a meaningful and effective closure to everything. And when you keep the audience guessing for years then every possible climax will be a disappointment.
So...you agree with me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
So I don't understand why everybody is so sure that Funcom would ever create a TLJ game where everything is resolved. More probably they would just keep replacing old questions with new ones.
Well, for one, the original TLJ was resolved. But my main argument for resolution is because it's makes the game better in every way. And not everything needs to be resolved at the end of a story, but at least something should be to give the player some sort of emotional reward for reaching the end.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:04 PM   #19
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

I definitely agree with this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProggleRock View Post
And not everything needs to be resolved at the end of a story, but at least something should be to give the player some sort of emotional reward for reaching the end.
But there are many stories and (TV series) that just never end properly. They are already created with the intention to be kept alive as long as it is possible. I may be mistaken by the TLJ games seem to be this way a bit.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:33 PM   #20

You know, I finished TLJ not that long ago, and I was perfectly happy with how it ended. Then I came here and read all about people complaining about the lack of resolution and I was all, "What, you people never watch movies/tv shows/other game endings?" I mean, I felt completed and rewarded enough.

Not so with Dreamfall. That's a whole different story. But I really liked the game as a sequel to TLJ, but then once again I come here and read all about people complaining it's no true sequel at all, it doesn't resolve anything about TLJ.

So people have different perspectives on things and some are more easily satisfied, or others harder to please depending on how you look at it.