Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Whats the most Graphically Lush Adv you have played (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/24832-whats-most-graphically-lush-adv-you-have-played.html)

ightenhill 06-04-2009 06:45 AM

Whats the most Graphically Lush Adv you have played

Although its always wrong to judge a book by its cover and some rather gourgeous games fall down when it comes to plot.. When it comes to just the Art, whats been your favourite?

J.H 06-04-2009 06:59 AM

Probably the Curse of Monkey Island, although I'm sure that'll change when The Whispered World comes out :D

JohnGreenArt 06-04-2009 07:15 AM

CMI for me as well. I have yet to play AVS (or Ghosts of Vooju Island of course) but I find what I've seen of them beautiful. I'm just a big Tiller fan in terms of art...

Though, like Mapoco, I am anticipating Whispered World to make my list...

AndreaDraco83 06-04-2009 07:45 AM

Nikopol

Gonzosports 06-04-2009 09:28 AM

Myst III: Exile.

The "nature island" is incredible. Incredible!

Fantasysci5 06-04-2009 09:58 AM

Hmm...it's gotta be Riven for me, although Dreamfall was gorgeous, too.

ightenhill 06-04-2009 10:03 AM

Have to agree with Myst III and the nature section.. Recently I have been quite impressed with Secret Files 2 (though I think the graphic art was inconsistent with some lovely drawn sections and some that just looked rushed and sloppy. So it was a little unbalanced. I also enjoyed the consistant look of Nostradamus with its pastel style of drawn environments, just a pity there were not more places to visit.. Im currently lost in the detailed world of Dracula Origins though I do feel cheated having to watch such well drawn material with bands at either side because it wont scale for widescreen. This I also feel is a case of good art but pretty week game IMO.. Its really boring me and this room in Vienna is driving me to consult a walkthrough if I cant crack it by tonight..

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...4-54-46-23.jpg

Fantasysci5 06-04-2009 10:07 AM

And as loath as I am to admit it, Syberia is gorgeous. Some of the best graphics I've ever seen.

cwapitm 06-04-2009 10:31 AM

The Longest Journey, Dreamfall, Legend of Kyrandia: The Hand of Fate. Sorry, I couldn't pick just one.

ightenhill 06-04-2009 10:47 AM

Its a pity some of the older (and sadly some of the newer) well drawn games suffer from such absurdly low resolutions which sort of defeats the object.. Theres nothing worse than all those rough edges and bad interpolation.

kadji-kun 06-04-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ightenhill (Post 511270)
Its a pity some of the older (and sadly some of the newer) well drawn games suffer from such absurdly low resolutions which sort of defeats the object.. Theres nothing worse than all those rough edges and bad interpolation.

*cough*Vampyre Story*cough*

QDream 06-04-2009 12:15 PM

Oh gotta go with Dreamfall..

kadji-kun 06-04-2009 12:23 PM

Syberia II

crabapple 06-04-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzosports (Post 511244)
Myst III: Exile.

The "nature island" is incredible. Incredible!

I would have thought Myst IV, though I liked Myst III better as a game.
Myst IV had all those animations and lighting effects to go along with the graphics.

Jehane 06-04-2009 04:08 PM

Hm. Let's see. Dracula: Origin has wonderful graphics but the game itself isn't among the best I've played; starts of pretty interesting and gets boring after the 2nd chapter.
I absolutely loved the artwork in Keepsake, TLJ, Dreamfall, Syberia. Gorgeous to look at. Same with Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon, Nostradamus, Agon 4: The Lost Sword of Toledo. And I enjoyed the whacky style of Edna & Harvey: The Breakout - if you're into comic style adventures, this one's for you. Definitely :)

Jadefalcon 06-04-2009 04:48 PM

If we're talking solely looks.

Syberia 1 and 2

The Longest Journey

Blade Runner (shame about the pixellated characters though)

Dracula Origin

Secret Files 1 and 2

Despite essentially being photographs....The Lost Crown.

Mikane Zaprick 06-04-2009 05:27 PM

MDNA deserves mention.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/1750/remedy13.jpg
from Remedy (Carol Reed 1)

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/606...andstill02.jpg
from Time Stand Still (Carol Reed 3)

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8914/...urderthe13.jpg
from The Colour Of Murder (Carol Reed 5)

At the very least.

LadyLinda 06-04-2009 06:13 PM

Though it's old, Zork Nemesis was the only game to really take my breath away graphically. It holds a special place in my heart.

Fien 06-04-2009 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikane Zaprick (Post 511334)
At the very least.

I agree, but those are photographs. Nothing beats real life. ;) Well... okay, not always.

How about Anacapri, its beauty takes your breath away.

Fien 06-04-2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jehane (Post 511317)
And I enjoyed the whacky style of Edna & Harvey: The Breakout - if you're into comic style adventures, this one's for you. Definitely :)

Hey, another Edna fan! Yes, the graphics have a certain charm, even though they are kind of basic. :P

Mikane Zaprick 06-04-2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 511338)
I agree, but those are photographs. Nothing beats real life. ;) Well... okay, not always.

How about Anacapri, its beauty takes your breath away.

They are photographs, indeed; but they are damned artistic and damned artistically rendered/presented/touched.

The Anacapri/Capri games deserve all-around praise as well; but I must say in most aspects I appreciate the MDNA games more -- and the graphics definitely win for me with MDNA.

oerhört 06-04-2009 07:00 PM

The one that had the most profound impression on me, ever, for a game, was Riven. I had never seen a game even remotely as pretty as that back in 1997.

The most graphically lush adventure I've ever played, though ... Myst IV looks absolutely fantastic. Kadish Tolesa in Uru is something I'll never forget. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, A Vampyre Story, Curse of Monkey Island and The Dig give those a run for their money.

tsa 06-04-2009 08:10 PM

The latest incarnation of Myst Online, Uru Live, was probably the best looking game I have ever played. I could play it on my iMac in 1920 x 1080 resolution, and it was very detailed and not even slow. And of course some of the Ages are gorgeous. My favourites were Kadish Tolesa, and the City itself. Gahreesen also is one of my favorites. It always amazed me that despite the moderate graphics card you needed it would run so well. For Dreamfall you needed a much better card and the graphics were not nearly as good.

Fantasysci5 06-04-2009 08:58 PM

It's so hard to pick just one, so I hope the original poster wasn't aiming for that. I have to step up, and say that even though it wasn't as beautiful as Dreamfall or anything, the graphics were charming in their own right. What I'm referring to is "Black Mirror" (Yes, I know you all are starig at me now), and the backgrounds of "The Lost Crown"-minus the character animations, of course.

seanparkerfilms 06-04-2009 10:20 PM

I'd have to go with Myst IV: Revelation, though purely from memory. I haven't looked at it in a while, but from what I remember, it was the best looking game I'd ever seen. Yay for pre-rendered vistas!

Also, The Last Express was quite gorgeous at times, particularly in the fully animated segments.

Dedas 06-04-2009 10:38 PM

I have to say Loom. The art in that game ooze of atmosphere like nothing else, and it flows seamlessly with the music and gameplay. Almost every other game have something that breaks the immersion for me, but not that one.

youfightlikeadairyfarmer 06-04-2009 10:55 PM

I guess I'd say Dreamfall by today's standards. It should have been a lot of things, but some of the places just looked amazing and the character models were very good. Too bad it was such a non-game.

I also really liked KQ7 at the time, it was like a bunch of cool Disney movies in a King's Quest game.

I don't guess I count prerendered photo games as good graphics.

Jehane 06-05-2009 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 (Post 511363)
I have to step up, and say that even though it wasn't as beautiful as Dreamfall or anything, the graphics were charming in their own right. What I'm referring to is "Black Mirror" (Yes, I know you all are starig at me now),.

I agree with you on Black Mirror; absolutely beautiful. Same with NiBiRu which came shortly after. I cannot help but wonder why they didn't keep the same style for Next Life (Reprobates)... the game looks pretty dull except in dream sequences...

DustyShinigami 06-05-2009 03:04 AM

Another one for The Black Mirror. Just a shame about the slow/ugly looking character models. But the backgrounds do look quite good.

I can't pick just one either, so here's my list of 'Graphically Lush Adventures' i've played (in no particular order):

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars
Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror
Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon
The Curse of Monkey Island
Syberia
Syberia II
Dreamfall
Secret Files: Tunguska
Runaway: A Road Adventure
Discworld II: Missing Presumed...!?
Still Life
Sam & Max - Season One
The Black Mirror

Games that'll make their way onto this list if/when i play them:

The Secret of Monkey Island - Special Edition
So Blonde
A Vampyre Story
Dracula: Origin
Myst IV: Revelation
Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island
The Whispered World

Lee in Limbo 06-05-2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanparkerfilms (Post 511369)
I'd have to go with Myst IV: Revelation, though purely from memory... Also, The Last Express was quite gorgeous at times, particularly in the fully animated segments.

Agreed on both counts.

I also really quite liked the graphics for Dreamfall, though I wish the environment had felt more interactive. Merely walking around in a 3D setting wasn't quite enough for me. I was probably spoiled by TES: Oblivion (another gorgeous game).

Ninja Dodo 06-05-2009 12:40 PM

Dreamfall. Gorgeous. Pity they wouldn't let you really explore it.

I have fond memories of the visual style of King's Quest VII, though I'm partial also to the more realistic yet still painterly style of KQVI and Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers.

And yes, The Curse of Monkey Island is quite delicious.

Ooh! Grim Fandango, of course: the stylized characters on the fantastically rendered backdrops still hold up. Not a lot of 3D games that can get away with that. Maybe Little Big Adventure 2 if that counts as a graphic adventure...

thejobloshow 06-05-2009 03:13 PM

I thought Discworld II was very heavy in wonderful hi-res cel animation and painted backdrops. Lush!

orient 06-05-2009 05:59 PM

Although I haven't really played it, Myst IV: Revelation blew my socks off when I watched the intro scene. The sheer realism, mixed with the fantastical architecture is really something to behold.

In terms of pure art style, both Syberia games were magnificent with their Art Nouveau influence.

Obviously Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars is beautifully rendered in 2D, with pristine animation.

Still Life had wonderfully gothic, gritty graphics, and if I can just count Shenmue as an adventure game for a second - those games feature some of the most realized 3D worlds ever. The attention to detail is phenomenal. To think they were made on Dreamcast is almost tough to comprehend when you compare it to other games that were released in 1999.

LostQuixote 06-06-2009 02:25 AM

Myst IV really amazed me how beautiful it was when I played it. So much detail and it felt more real than any other game I've played.

Jadefalcon 06-06-2009 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orient (Post 511538)
Still Life had wonderfully gothic, gritty graphics, and if I can just count Shenmue as an adventure game for a second - those games feature some of the most realized 3D worlds ever. The attention to detail is phenomenal. To think they were made on Dreamcast is almost tough to comprehend when you compare it to other games that were released in 1999.

Shenmue is a difficult one, it's like a hybrid of various gaming styles including adventure, fighting, stealth, and RPG. I have Shenmue 2 on the Xbox but did play the original Dreamcast version and it was very impressive.

Biek 06-07-2009 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jadefalcon (Post 511331)
Blade Runner

Ah, that one brings back great memories. +1 for this one. :)

Mastik 07-05-2009 08:41 AM

Have to go with "A Vampyre Story".
http://static.4players.de/premium/Sc...448-medium.jpg

Terramax 07-05-2009 09:11 AM

Myst IV: Revelation. Not only was it lush but, very rare for an adventure, the visuals actually moved!

QDream 07-05-2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terramax (Post 515454)
Myst IV: Revelation. Not only was it lush but, very rare for an adventure, the visuals actually moved!

True, the size of the installer was like 7GB :shifty:

Toops144 07-05-2009 01:49 PM

It depends on personal tastes to be brutally honest. Some people rate aesthetic realism (photo-realism) above graphical innovation and being unique which can be equally lush within context - such as cel-shading techniques which imo is beautiful.

I can't really point out one particular game so I will be a rebel and say both Vampyre Story and Keepsake xD

Edit - just ofr information there are lots of PC cel-shaded games released, the most recent being Murder in The Abbey :p