Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Dracula Origin (no hint requests please) (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/22093-dracula-origin-no-hint-requests-please.html)

Gabe 06-04-2008 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luisjoseromero (Post 470506)
From the moment I saw Van Helsing SPEAKING OUT LOUD the contents of his vampire book like it was some sort of Barney's playhouse song on learning how to tie your shoelaces, all the excitement I had expected from the opening screen was completely lost. And I was Sad. Sad that the artists who worked on the game had their work tainted on by such horrible dialogue.

Typical Frogwares game then they keep carrying this kind of silly writings from Holmes games.:pan:Looks like another awfully mediocre ag on sight again.:r

CoyoteAG 06-05-2008 12:35 AM

Just finished the game and I loved it. All the puzzles were interesting and they ALL had a logical solution with plenty of clues. Van Helsing talking at the beginning may have been odd but it didn't detract any from the game.

I only used the walkthrough twice. Once was only because I missed picking up an object that wasn't that obvious. I was wandering around for hours trying to figure out what I was missing until I broke down and looked at the walkthrough.

The only puzzle that I had to use the walkthrough for was the hieroglyphics. I was close on it but I was getting to frustrated. All the other puzzles had plenty of clues to solve.

I only have a couple of complaints:
1. It was too short. I finished it in less than 12 hours and that includes the hour or two that I spent wandering around because I missed an inventory object. Given the price, it should have been longer.
2. There were a couple of puzzles that were like scavenger hunts and they seemed unnecessary and used just to lengthen the game.

Otherwise, I really loved this game. In my opinion, some of the issues that some people mentioned in this thread were excessively critical. I would definitely recommend this to true adventure gamers.

Melanie68 06-05-2008 04:52 AM

The space bar to highlight hotspots is wonderful in this game. The screen could be dark at times and it was easy to overlook a few things.

Melanie68 06-05-2008 03:47 PM

Hi Dixsept, I moved your hint request to this thread. :) Check out the first post of that thread, as it covers your problem (and is a step by step answer). There's also a walkthrough link in the post above yours, should you want to see the specific answer in screenshot form.

Melanie68 06-07-2008 10:26 AM

ZEK, your post got moved here. Look through the posts there as hints/solutions have been given for that puzzle.

For those of you who need hint requests, please go to this thread in the Hints forum. Thanks.

Clovis 06-07-2008 12:37 PM

People have said the game uses the same engine as Sherlock Holmes, but it is not first person. Can the camera be moved?? If not, why would they possibly bother rendering it in full 3d? The advantage of avoiding FP is that you have control of the camera and can pack tons of detail into your scenes. Rendering everything in 3d is a lot more work, and often leads to sparser scenery.

Trader 06-07-2008 01:00 PM

Is there another game like this cause I looked at screen shots and I can't remember them.
Spoiler:
At the end of the game I remember that if you didnt make the right choice you would be bitten and turner into a vampire

-Infiltrator- 06-08-2008 01:50 AM

Nice game, grate graphics and interesting story, very reminds me of sherlock holmes silver earring.

Jackal 06-08-2008 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clovis (Post 471009)
People have said the game uses the same engine as Sherlock Holmes, but it is not first person. Can the camera be moved?? If not, why would they possibly bother rendering it in full 3d?

It isn't in full 3D and you can't move the camera. The only similarities with the last two Sherlock games are a few basic interface elements (inventory, notes, load screens, etc.)

Sandman 06-10-2008 07:39 AM

I just bought the game and have added to the list of adventure games that I have but have no time to play. Lol. I guess I am making a collection. 100 years from now I'll have an adventure game antique shop.

Anyways; I did try it (played it for 5 mins). I own a widescreen laptop but the game appears in a small screen (with side bars on the sides). Is the game like this or is it my settings (which I believe are correct)?

Dale Baldwin 06-10-2008 08:07 AM

The game is like that. You can choose a different resolution to make it fill the entire screen though.

Sandman 06-10-2008 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin (Post 471284)
The game is like that. You can choose a different resolution to make it fill the entire screen though.

Hmm ... It is on the wide screen high resolution 1200 by 800.

Dale Baldwin 06-10-2008 08:27 AM

I don't remember what resolution I ended up using, but those sidebars irritated me enough to fiddle until I found one that worked.

Sandman 06-10-2008 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin (Post 471289)
I don't remember what resolution I ended up using, but those sidebars irritated me enough to fiddle until I found one that worked.

Did you do it from the game options of PC's?

Sandman 06-10-2008 09:24 AM

Ok I got the full screen but the game appears to be bit stretched.

rtrooney 06-24-2008 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 (Post 461628)
Although I'm not a huge fan of Frogwares and their Sherlock Holmes' series I expect much from this title, and yes the screenshots are splendid, as the artwork of Dracula, very Anne Rice-y :D

I am also not a big fan of Frogware, so I've resisted buying the game based on their past performance.

Is there a demo out there?

Melanie68 06-24-2008 07:07 PM

Yes.

vivasawadee 07-01-2008 05:57 AM

I bought this game last night and yes the graphics are very nice. Van Helsings voice doesn't bother me and it seems very linear. The first puzzle I got stuck on at the cemetary nearly had me pull the dvd from the drive and throw it out the window.

Spoiler:
the one where you had to scrape the dates. you have to keep scraping until Van helsing realises what the dates are even if its clear to you what they are :frusty:

xiao.mao 07-08-2008 08:04 PM

Can anybody please tell me if you can die in this game or if there are any timed sequences or combat? I can't play games with those :( Too nervewracking.

kadji-kun 07-08-2008 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackal (Post 471102)
It isn't in full 3D and you can't move the camera. The only similarities with the last two Sherlock games are a few basic interface elements (inventory, notes, load screens, etc.)

The engine isnt just rendering the interface, but also the 3d characters.

BTW, the blackbars are inevitable if you want to play the game without making the characters looking fat or stretched. The reason why it does this in the game is the fact that some graphics cards stretch the game when using 4:3 ratio resolutions. Some graphics cards keep the asect ratio and prevents the stretching. My graphics card does this but I turned it off because some games work with the stretching. Some dont.

I suggest using widescreen resolutions so it doesn't stretch the image. What can you do when someone makes a game with prerendered backgrounds. ;)