Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Gray matter: official site / hype / marketing and publishing (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/21703-gray-matter-official-site-hype-marketing-publishing.html)

giga 09-29-2010 12:32 AM

I'm not sure about you guys, but the 30th of october 2010 I will be playing the Gray Matter in English.

After 11 years waiting for GK4, that kinda makes me happy.;)

Roper Klacks 09-29-2010 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giga (Post 560540)
I'm not sure about you guys, but the 30th of october 2010 I will be playing the Gray Matter in English.

After 11 years waiting for GK4, that kinda makes me happy.;)

Me too i guess. Lets hope the german release isn't delayed.

Henke 09-29-2010 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 560536)
Gray Mattter was originally meant to be a real-time 3D experience (at least in concept), iirc. They switched it to 2D. I suspect it's because they had a limited budget. Budget constraint is also apparent in the quality of the teaser trailer.

Well Gray Matter has 3D characters on 2D backgrounds. When was it suppose to be in full 3D?

Intrepid Homoludens 09-29-2010 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henke (Post 560552)
Well Gray Matter has 3D characters on 2D backgrounds. When was it suppose to be in full 3D?

I couldn't find the specific article on it a few years back but I distinctly remember they were planning a real-time 3D format during the concept stage. It never happened.

UPtimist 09-30-2010 03:49 AM

Funny if they were after JJ's rather negative thoughts on it after GK3...

flamedrake 10-05-2010 10:11 AM

The final system specifications were posted on the dtp forums.

--------------------------------------------
Minimum Specs
Windows®® XP/Vista/7 with .Net Framework 2.0
1.4 GHz Pentium® 4 or similar processor
512 MB RAM (XP) / 1 GB RAM (Vista/7)
128 MB DirectX® 9 compatible video card (Shader 2.0)
–ab ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, Nvidia Geforce 6200TC and Intel GMA X3200
16 bit DirectX® 9 compatible sound card
6,5 GB space on hard disc
DVD-ROM Laufwerk

Recommended Specs
Windows®® XP/Vista/7 with .Net Framework 2.0
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or similar processor
1 GB RAM (XP) / 2GB RAM (Vista/7)
256 MB DirectX® 9 compatible video card (Shader 3.0)
– ab ATI Radeon 2xxx und Nvidia Geforce 8xxx
16 bit DirectX® 9 compatible sound card
6,5 GB space on hard disc
DVD-ROM drive

zenger 10-05-2010 10:40 AM

Thanks Flamedrake for posting that :D.

Finally,¡¡¡ The system requirements!!!.. And I will be able to play the game in my PC, that's great :D

Regards

Lupin The Third 10-05-2010 12:08 PM

Anyone from the dev team/publisher lurking around here (like Sidrath)? I'm just wondering if anyone can confirm yet if the 360 version is going to be region locked or not? Obviously I can play the PC version regardless but it'd be soooooooooo nice not to have to wait for a US release to play this on 360. Given that about the only Euro 360 games that are region locked are Soccer titles I'm hoping this one is region free as well.

Neptin 10-06-2010 07:14 AM

Video preview from Adventure-Treff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXV6EVf_ejs

Some points:

- Weak animations and puzzles
- Easy gameplay
- Good and entertaining story
- Some design flaws

Fien 10-06-2010 08:59 AM

I want to be fair and reserve judgment until I have played the game. And I really am looking forward to another great story by Jane Jensen with deep characters, no matter what. But the comments in this preview have done nothing to take away my fears about other aspects of the game, especially gameplay issues. Apparently, lots of backtracking like there was in Runaway to see if new items have become available. Worse, you have to examine everything before you can go on to the next chapter, even if you have finished the puzzles and dialogues. The Lost Crown did the same, had me walking around forever. :frusty:

Roper Klacks 10-06-2010 10:26 AM

I can't understand a word of German so... Samantha's walking animation look very robotic, however David's looks a lot better and more human like, weird. Dispite that, from what i saw (like i said i didn't understand a word) it looked pretty good, looking forward.
Oh and i'm really liking the comic style cut scenes, but they will be heavily criticised by mainstream reviewers.

rtrooney 10-06-2010 05:18 PM

The 1D comic-style cut scenes come straight from her Oberon Games collaberation with James Patterson in the Womens Murder Club series. I'm not particularly impressed with the trailer.

Instead of standing in line with dollar in hand, I think I may be more inclined to read what others think before making that purchase decision.

Kazmajik 10-06-2010 06:58 PM

Just watching the video, without knowing more than a random word in German here and there, has really heightened my interest. I think the game itself looks outstanding.

Toward the end of the video she says something about Gabriel Knight. Could anybody translate that part?

Fien 10-06-2010 07:17 PM

She says: Gray Matter left a good impression in spite of a couple of design flaws, and if the story fullfills its promise of the first four chapters, we can look forward to Jane Jensen's new adventure. But the game will probably not match the quality of the GK series, at least not as far as gameplay is concerned.

Luther10 10-06-2010 07:41 PM

oh wow, character animations look terrible in that preview video, especially the main character.

Kazmajik 10-06-2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 561060)
She says: Gray Matter left a good impression in spite of a couple of design flaws, and if the story fullfills its promise of the first four chapters, we can look forward to Jane Jensen's new adventure. But the game will probably not match the quality of the GK series, at least not as far as gameplay is concerned.

Thanks, Fien. That's a reasonable assessment. We'll have to wait and see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luther10 (Post 561062)
oh wow, character animations look terrible in that preview video, especially the main character.

Shrug. It doesn't bother me at all, but I still am not bothered by the graphics and animation in Gabriel Knight 3. The story's the thing, and I have great faith in Jane. Wish I could say the same for everyone else involved...

Phod 10-06-2010 11:51 PM

The art style and backgrounds are incredible. Stiff animations won't bother me. The story is what you're playing this for. With the puzzles/gameplay a close second. If there's a ton of annoying backtracking that will suck a bit but from everything I've seen in this video, looks great.

DustyShinigami 10-07-2010 01:08 AM

I think it looks great and the animations don't bother me at all. :)

Again, my only concern is how well the game is going to do - mainly on the Xbox 360. I'm starting to think it's a bad decision to port the game on that console. 360 gamers who have never heard of Jane Jensen, Gabriel Knight or Gray Matter are most likely going to be put off this because of the style of the cutscenes and gameplay.

Luther10 10-07-2010 11:16 AM

Yes, I do agree story is the most important element in an adventure game. However, so many years spent on developing this game and in the end having this sort of character animation quality is just unacceptable. And it's not only the stiff movement that's bothering me, there is also the charactcer movement not matching the objects/ or the environment it's manipulating (Samantha opening a door, and another girl dealing cards)... I might seem a bit harsh but I just want the game to be perfect... Also I want to say I love the art style of this game, the cutscenes and the backgrounds I love, and the music is awesome...

Roper Klacks 10-07-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazzoid (Post 561075)
Again, my only concern is how well the game is going to do - mainly on the Xbox 360. I'm starting to think it's a bad decision to port the game on that console. 360 gamers who have never heard of Jane Jensen, Gabriel Knight or Gray Matter are most likely going to be put off this because of the style of the cutscenes and gameplay.

I agree. I'm not really afraid of the Xbox 360 gamers (because no one will buy it, i'm joking but really... it will sell close to nothing on Xbox) but the mainstrem reviewers. They will tear it apart (i dont blame them really, they are used to technical wonders like Mass Effect 2, Halo's and so on) simply because Gray Matter will be a very flawed game based around ancient mechanics that mainstream games don't use anymore.

The niche adventure reviewers are a lot more tolerant to that, but i expect the Xbox version to have a very low metacritic score, and that will generate bad publicity and even lower sales.