Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Gray matter: official site / hype / marketing and publishing (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/21703-gray-matter-official-site-hype-marketing-publishing.html)

Fien 05-16-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgeorge (Post 547726)
Everyones to nice on these forums haha.

Sir, you insult me!

Quote:

I asked earlier in this thread if there's a definitive release date yet, because truthfully, this game does intrigue me, even if I am personally disappointed in the genre as of late. However no one has answered.
Anyone know, other than Q4 of 2010?
A few days ago, I read at a German adventure site that one of the team members said that dtp said that they didn't have definitive release date yet. Yeah, hearsay all the way. :D

teme:
Quote:

Eurogamer just posted nice and positive preview of Gray Matter
I realize I'm cursing and swearing in the church, but I can hear alarm bells going off when I read stuff like "non-animated cut scenes". I saw them in the trailer, but I thought that was just... you know, for the trailer! Reminds me too much of the black-and-white drawn cut scenes in Return to Mysterious Island, screaming LOW BUDGET at the top of their voice.

D.C. 05-16-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 549319)
I realize I'm cursing and swearing in the church, but I can hear alarm bells going off when I read stuff like "non-animated cut scenes". I saw them in the trailer, but I thought that was just... you know, for the trailer! Reminds me too much of the black-and-white drawn cut scenes in Return to Mysterious Island, screaming LOW BUDGET at the top of their voice.

I think that style can look good artistically in a graphic novel sort of way, but it most definitely wouldn't be my first choice. Though its effectiveness depends entirely on the artist and composition too. It seems pretty decent in the trailer, to me atleast, if a little bit jarring at first. (Although we've seen plenty of graphic novels associated with Jane's games before, so it doesn't seem entirely out of place either.) The style is used pretty effectively in inFamous on PS3 too. (Here's the opening cut scene.)

Intrepid Homoludens 05-16-2010 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.C. (Post 549322)
I think that style can look good artistically in a graphic novel sort of way, but it most definitely wouldn't be my first choice. Though its effectiveness depends entirely on the artist and composition too. It seems pretty decent in the trailer, to me atleast, if a little bit jarring at first. (Although we've seen plenty of graphic novels associated with Jane's games before, so it doesn't seem entirely out of place either.) The style is used pretty effectively in inFamous on PS3 too. (Here's the opening cut scene.)

My guess for it being non-animated cutscenes? They couldn't afford anything else. Ah well, I hope the art direction can make up for it.

D.C. 05-16-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 549323)
My guess for it being non-animated cutscenes? They couldn't afford anything else.

Yeah, you're almost certainly right, but that doesn't mean it can't be good. Here's hoping. :D

Fien 05-16-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

My guess for it being non-animated cutscenes? They couldn't afford anything else.

Sigh...

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.C. (Post 549325)
Yeah, you're almost certainly right,

Thank you.

Intense Degree 05-17-2010 01:24 AM

The non animated (or barely animated) "comic book" cut scenes in GK1 were fine in my opinion, I thought they were great. However, we are now over 10 years down the line and I've got to admit I would much prefer animated cut scenes nowadays.

MoP 05-17-2010 02:21 AM

It's not the tool, it's how you use it.
Another example that worked really well (in my book at least) that comes to mind is Max Payne.

UPtimist 05-17-2010 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booB (Post 549316)
Sorry if this has been brought up already, but I'm too lazy to go back and re-read five zillion posts on this topic. I noticed that the short blurb about this game says that it will feature point-and-click control, as well as direct (game pad) control. Obviously the latter is because of the Xbox version coming out... but does anyone know if the PC version will include the direct control option as well? I'm hoping it does, because I was one of the few who enjoyed the direct control on games like Dreamfall and Broken Sword 3. Likewise, the P&C option should be available for people who want it as well.

Forgive me, as I just now started checking out the screens and news blurbs for this game. Consider me an excited passenger on the hype train!

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPtimist (Post 547683)
Does this mean that it won't be regular point & click either on the XBox or both that and PC? I don't really want highlighting as it takes away from the immersion. Once again, you feel like you're just playing a game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 (Post 547688)
It's point-and-click on PC, fear not :)

From Andrea's post I gathered that it's P&C on the PC, direct control on XBox. No switches.

I'm bummed about that too, but what can you do? :P

Or am I wrong?

inm8#2 05-18-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

My guess for it being non-animated cutscenes? They couldn't afford anything else. Ah well, I hope the art direction can make up for it.

You can see what they'll look like in this trailer. I think it looks fantastic. Some people might react initially to the phrase "non-animated" as if everything is static, but it's clear there's a lot of style and layering to the cutscenes. I dig it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWaW-4yUZpQ

Intrepid Homoludens 05-18-2010 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inm8#2 (Post 549499)
You can see what they'll look like in this trailer. I think it looks fantastic. Some people might react initially to the phrase "non-animated" as if everything is static, but it's clear there's a lot of style and layering to the cutscenes. I dig it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWaW-4yUZpQ

:) Thanks, but I had already seen that a while back. I was not so impressed.

UPtimist 05-23-2010 02:48 AM

Anyone who reads German well enough know if there's anything worth mentioning in the three articles linked to from the German version of the official site?

ozzie 05-23-2010 09:51 AM

Well, the Eurogamer.de preview sounds very confident when it says that the game will be really really released in 2010.

The previews also mention full-screen puzzles, for an example there's one where you have to manipulate a machine to receive messages from the afterlife.
http://pics.krawall.de/1/krawallbran...ter_PC_029.jpg

I think the most important other aspects were already mentioned in the English previews.

Ascovel 05-23-2010 12:21 PM

In a Polish interview for Adventure-Zone Jane Jensen revealed also that she's pushing for the game to have 2 quite different endings in the vein of Gabriel Knight 1 - meaning one will be the clearly more satisfactory one.

Little Writer 05-25-2010 02:31 AM

Is that an en-/decryption puzzle?

This game just dropped in my "want" list. I hope it's not full of those things.

ozzie 05-25-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

It might be, but I have no idea how it plays, of course.
Like I said, you receive messages with this machine from the afterlife. Dunno how it will work.
Maybe it's a bit like the ouija board puzzle in 3 Cards to Midnight.

Ashok 05-25-2010 02:03 PM

What? We have people complaining because there is a screenshot of a PUZZLE in a Jane Jensen adventure game? Weren't the Gabriel Knight games full of pad and paper puzzles?

AndreaDraco83 05-25-2010 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Writer (Post 550062)

No. It's a totally different kind of puzzle.

Manly One 05-25-2010 05:36 PM

That's a RNG (Random Number Generator.) The programing of it, I found, to be one of the most challenging sections in the game.

That European reviewer gave too much away by saying it's a means to communicate with the afterlife.

To my knowledge, there is only one ending. Jane has said so before in other interviews. I'd take that statement of there being two, as false... Unless, just recently she's planned something else.

AndreaDraco83 05-26-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manly One (Post 550142)
That's a RNG (Random Number Generator.) The programing of it, I found, to be one of the most challenging sections in the game.

Hard, but quite satisfying, true.

So, Little Writer, you can put your mind at ease ;)

AndreaDraco83 05-27-2010 02:43 AM

New interview: Jane Jansen talks Gray Matter