Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   What AG theme do you wish there were more of? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/21424-what-ag-theme-do-you-wish-there-were-more.html)

nrvllrgrs 11-26-2007 03:22 PM

What AG theme do you wish there were more of?

I have recently come back to Lee Sheldon's book Character Development and Storytelling for Games where he discusses video game genres. I am curious what people's favorite contextual genre is for adventure games.

Melanie68 11-26-2007 03:40 PM

There was a thread similar to this a month or so ago. Your poll is a bit different but you can get some ideas from that one as well.

What are your favorite AG themes?

nrvllrgrs 11-26-2007 04:02 PM

Wow! I can't believe I missed that. Well...in that case. How about I edit the question to "What AG theme do you wish there were more of?"

Melanie68 11-26-2007 04:21 PM

That's no problem. I can edit it for you because you aren't able to change the title of your own thread. Also you may want an 'other' option (some people really like those :D).

JKR 11-26-2007 04:33 PM

I'd have voted "Humor" but that isn't an option. Frankly I don't care if it's set in space, or the wild west, or whatever, so long as it's got some fun jokes or at least makes me smile.

Of those, I voted Sci Fi, but Fantasy is probably close.

Melanie68 11-26-2007 05:02 PM

I added Humour and Other options (as well as edited the title). nrvllgrs, if you don't like the choices I added, I can take them out. :)

JKR - I also manually added a vote for Humour for you (since you can't revote).

JKR 11-26-2007 05:41 PM

Awesome, thanks Melanie!

Squinky 11-26-2007 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrvllrgrs (Post 449836)
I have recently come back to Lee Sheldon's book Character Development and Storytelling for Games where he discusses video game genres.

I read that book quite some time ago (it was on the Telltale bookshelf, if I recall correctly). I remember liking it, or at least, hating it less than Creating Emotion in Games, which I read at around the same time.

Anyway, I picked Romance, Humour, and Other, because the world needs more RomCom games. Yeah.

tsa 11-26-2007 11:04 PM

I didn't vote because I don't really care for any particular setting. The concept and the stor are more important to me.

MikaelS 11-27-2007 12:43 AM

I never cared too much about fantasy/fairytale type in adventure games . I also feel there are plenty of horror games around and supply of them overhelms others at the moment. Other than that, I'd like to see more of everything. :D I've grown to love scifi adventures a lot. Also I can't recall many western adventures...I'd love to see one. I know there's one under development, but that seems bit too much of a hybrid for my taste. :)

MoriartyL 11-27-2007 02:45 AM

Romance, definitely. Do we have any of that? An adventure game about a war would be awesome, too.

Harald B 11-27-2007 03:49 AM

I picked 'other' for time travel; I just love a good time travel plot and they are ever so hard to come by. Seeing some more science fiction stories might be interesting as well. Also, I'd love to see another cynical, gritty-realistic espionage game like KGB one day.

Jelena 11-27-2007 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikaelS (Post 449889)
I also feel there are plenty of horror games around

I agree. I love horror games, but there are indeed a number of them around. I voted sci-fi and fantasy having The Moment of Silence and TLJ in mind. I really like futuristic environments.

ShadeJackrabbit 11-29-2007 02:32 PM

Time travel can be really good (The Journeyman Project 3). I couldn't really choose "Horror" because I much more like "Creepy Mystery", and so I just chose Mystery. One mystery game I loved was And Then There Were None, and one of my favorite mysteries is a who-done-it where one of you is a murderer, and you're in a very dark or creepy or stormy place.

Sci-Fi can also be good, especially Sci-Fi Mystery, or Sci-Fi Creepy Mystery. Darn, I should go write one...

JKR 11-29-2007 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harald B (Post 449900)
I picked 'other' for time travel; I just love a good time travel plot and they are ever so hard to come by. Seeing some more science fiction stories might be interesting as well. Also, I'd love to see another cynical, gritty-realistic espionage game like KGB one day.

Ooo, I love Time Travel games! You have to basically ignore why none of them would ever actually work logically, but once you do that they're so much fun!

MikaelS 11-29-2007 03:32 PM

Finally casting vote. I vote for 'mystery', just because I miss Gabriel Knight games so much. Needs more of that.

I started realize this while I was playing Sam and Max. While these games are great, has very good humor and everything but I just started feel little bit dull ( not much) and was hoping wish I was playing some Gabriel Knight game with a great atmosphere first time now..

Ariel Type 12-02-2007 12:23 PM

There are plenty of horror games, but too few actually caught the "horror" feeling. There are also not enough good comedy today.
But what lacks modern genre is original worlds, with their own unique feeling, like Monkey Island, Kyrandia, Tex Murphy etc. The theme doesn't really matter.