You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What are your favorite AG themes?

View Poll Results: Favorite AG themes?
Fantasy (like Syberia) 27 52.94%
Realistic/Drama (like Return to Mysterious Island .. Can't think of a better example.) 15 29.41%
Comedy (like Sam & Max) 26 50.98%
Crime (like CSI) 10 19.61%
Horror (like Sanitarium) 22 43.14%
Other (please post) 5 9.80%
Science Fiction 8 15.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
Adventure Addict

Default What are your favorite AG themes?

Just curious what type of stories people like. My favorites in order are:
  1. Fantasy
  2. Horror
  3. Realistic

I can't stand crime games usually. This theme is shoved down our throats in countless movies, TV shows, and now games. To be perfectly honest, I'm just sick of it. Comedies can be good, but I like to be sucked into a good story, which is something comedies can't typically do to me.

Go easy on me about my example games. I haven't played too terribly many adventures, and it's hard to remember what they were all about.

I left out action on purpose. Action/Adventure is different than plain ol' adventure. One good example being Beyond Good & Evil.

Last edited by badmojo; 09-28-2007 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Fixed the title and some other stuff.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:27 PM   #2
Lazy Bee

I've been into scary games for quite some time. I haven't played Sanatarium but I voted horror anyway. Still Life, Scratches, Barrow Hill are games I've enjoyed immensely. (I'm currently playing Post Mortem.)
When I checked the poll I noticed I had the possibility to vote for more genres than one. It seems I can't go back and vote for my other choices. But it doesn't matter really.

Horror
Fantasy
Comic: Noir style like Discworld Noir and Grim Fandango
Other: sci-fi games (sort of) like TLJ, The Moment of Silence and BASS
Old 09-27-2007, 11:53 PM   #3
Red Bicycle Brake Unit

Comedy. It's the genre of most of my favorites and imo the only genre where you can have those lateral thinking convoluted adventuresque puzzles without seriously harming the experience. It is possible to avoid having such puzzles, as for example in the CSI games, but that reduces the adventure-ness in my mind (I consider the CSI games very borderline cases).
I don't care much for horror and realistic/drama stories in any medium.

Last edited by Harald B; 09-28-2007 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:40 AM   #4

^ And let's face it, everyone likes to laugh ^
Old 09-28-2007, 12:54 AM   #5
Adventure Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
I've been into scary games for quite some time. I haven't played Sanatarium but I voted horror anyway. Still Life, Scratches, Barrow Hill are games I've enjoyed immensely. (I'm currently playing Post Mortem.)
You've got to give Sanitarium a shot.. fantastic game! If you ever spot it somewhere, pick it up. It's not a scary horror really, but supposed to be more of a psychological thing. Here's a short video I found of the very first level.. if you don't want any spoilers just watch the first 45 seconds. There's really nothing to spoil in the first level.. but you know, just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Legrand View Post
^ And let's face it, everyone likes to laugh ^
Very true, but I actually don't like comedy games very much. They don't suck me in like say, a horror game or a fantasy game might. That's what I love about adventure games is their ability to pull me into the story as if it were a good book.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:27 AM   #6
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmojo View Post
You've got to give Sanitarium a shot.. fantastic game! If you ever spot it somewhere, pick it up. It's not a scary horror really, but supposed to be more of a psychological thing. Here's a short video I found of the very first level.. if you don't want any spoilers just watch the first 45 seconds. There's really nothing to spoil in the first level.. but you know, just in case.
I will definitely check it out.

Quote:
Very true, but I actually don't like comedy games very much. They don't suck me in like say, a horror game or a fantasy game might. That's what I love about adventure games is their ability to pull me into the story as if it were a good book.
My sentiment too. I want to be absorbed by a game and the scary ones do that to me. When it comes to comedy games I've noticed that a Noir theme is my cup of tea. Discworld Noir was a fantastic experience.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:44 AM   #7
The Quiet One

I'm into a mixture, but i guess my main favourites are:

Fantasy
Horror
Comedy

I'd also say Other: Sci/Fi

What would Broken Sword come under, Crime, Drama or Other? I like games like BS so if it comes under a different genre, that i've not voted for, then i'd stick it on my list.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 09-28-2007, 03:00 AM   #8
Schättenjager

I think you forget most important sub:historic adventure.GK,Last express,Shadow of Templars best examples.
In fantasy theme Tlj,Zork&Myst rules.As Comic Sam&Max rocks,for
crime Holmes adventures,and I dont see how a "realistic" adventure possible(reconsider that option)anyway.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:48 AM   #9
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmojo View Post
I left out action on purpose. Action/Adventure is different than plain ol' adventure. One good example being Beyond Good & Evil.
Have you played Snatcher? That had plenty of action, and it was by all means a "plain ol' adventure". But maybe action stories aren't so common to adventure games, so that it doesn't matter too much that it's not on the poll. And I must begrudgingly admit that if you had put it there, people would have thought you were talking about Zelda and voted accordingly. [sigh]

Anyway, my favorite adventure genre would be drama, if there were any dramatic adventures. I voted for it on the hope that someday a good graphical adventure will be made set in the real world. Or at least something vaguely like it. (I haven't even seen that!)
Old 09-28-2007, 06:29 AM   #10

I, too, like a mixture of fantasy, horror and realism ... with original worlds and concepts.

It's nice to be a little on edge in a fantasy world that feels real.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 09-28-2007, 06:49 AM   #11

I voted for them all. I don't know why, I just kept thinking of games I like in each category. Sorry, I defeated the purpose of partaking in that survey.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:59 AM   #12
Life and times of...

I voted Crime and Realistic, as I wasn't exactly sure what's the correct one... Mystery would be the best to describe that, something like the Gabriel Knights. You know, like, set in the real world, but... Mysterious...

Old 09-28-2007, 08:09 AM   #13
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

I want to vote Sci-fi..
2. is probably not so scary crime
and 3. is probably fantasy of historic adventure.

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 09-28-2007, 08:20 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Added Sci Fi to the poll.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:35 AM   #15

Voted for fantasy and horror.
Never played horror adventure thou, but I sure want to try one.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:59 AM   #16
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Comedy as in some Sierra games and all the old LucasArts games before Monkey4

Other as in games like Gabriel Knight that can't be put into just one genre

Science fiction as in games like The Longest Journey, Dreamfall and also The Dig.

I love adventure games that tell great stories and are not boring like so many modern adventure games. Also it's so important for any game that if it can affect you in any way, bring up some emotions. That is why I love adventure games, they make me laugh, they make me cry, they make me experience engaging stories with colorful characters that you really start to care about in the end.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:57 AM   #17
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

I don't really have a preference for one theme or another, but I voted for Sci-fi because it didn't seem right to me for it to only have one vote.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:18 AM   #18

I voted for fantasy and horror, although I have played only few games, but those themes interest me most.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:21 AM   #19

Fantasy will probably always be my favorite, but I'll take any theme as long as there's a good story and good characters.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:45 PM   #20
Adventure Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Added Sci Fi to the poll.
Thanks. I knew there would be at least one I left out.

If you want to change/add different example games to each theme please feel free. I know there are better examples than the ones I put, I just couldn't think of any.