Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Sam and Max, Season 1...=( (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/20589-sam-max-season-1-%3D.html)

Rasher 08-01-2007 09:52 PM

As much as I love "Hit the Road", the puzzles sometimes did not make much sense. I know, logic in a Sam & Max world, I must be crazy. Thing is, I found the puzzles frustrating sometimes. "Hit the Road" was one of the few games that I really needed a walkthough to finish.

Telltale's games are awsome. I found myself looking forward to my monthy dose of Sam & Max hilarity. The first episodes were too easy, but they got harder as the season went on. It got so I could finish an episode in one or two sittings :P

Still, Sam and Max is easily my favorite adventure game that game out on 2007 or 2006.

Marek 08-02-2007 01:07 AM

I think Hit the Road might be looked at here through severely rose-tinted glasses.

Personally I think the puzzles in Sam & Max are excellent: sufficiently challenging, but not obscure or annoying.

That said, I don't play adventure games primarily for the puzzles, I play them for the total experience. So I'm pleased to see an adventure game series with priorities other than looking really serious/dramatic or punching you in the face with elaborate and sometimes frustrating obstacles. I mean, that's okay too, but there's so much of that right now. The Sam & Max games just give you lots of fun stuff to discover and add unexpected surreal twists to gameplay mechanics that we already know, which in my book is totally awesome.

Games like Sam & Max and Phoenix Wright have given me the most fun in adventure games I've had in years.

Fien 08-02-2007 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterLoo (Post 429192)
...and felt Season 1 became a little too serious at parts because of

Season 1 became a little too... WHAT??

Define serious. I'm not sure if I should take this kind of criticism seriously.

Ariel Type 08-02-2007 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin (Post 429258)
You must have a different definition of 'adventure game' to me. ;)

At least for me an adventure game involve progressing storyline and puzzles that make you think.

Fien 08-02-2007 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ariel Type (Post 429440)
At least for me an adventure game involve progressing storyline and puzzles that make you think.

There's as much or as little "storyline" in a game like DoTT as there is in Season 1. DoTT is not an adventure?

MasterLoo 08-02-2007 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fienepien (Post 429438)
Season 1 became a little too... WHAT??

Define serious. I'm not sure if I should take this kind of criticism seriously.

Serious in the sense that you can't do stuff you do in a comic without it looking silly. In a comic or cartoon,
Spoiler:
you can let the main characters crawl into a giant fish, and let it be fished up by a fisher, and then moved to the world of fish
but try doing the same in 3D, and it does not funny, it just looks weird. Thus serious in this context is that it looks more like real life. Life is serious, a comic/cartoon is not(in comparison) and that in itself makes a comic/comic more silly and funny and gives the writer more chances to do weird and really strange things without it looking weird.

DustyShinigami 08-02-2007 02:16 AM

Apparently, Season One has appeared on Play.com and Amazon.co.uk. The front cover image, on Play, looks like the American copy means it's in a box; but it does say it'll change. They give you the option to pre-order now for £24.99.

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/3358...e/Product.html

On Amazon.co.uk, the front cover says it's PC DVD-ROM not CD-ROM. And the price is slightly higher at £25.99.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/o/ASIN/B000Q...pf_rd_i=468294

Fien 08-02-2007 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterLoo (Post 429446)
Serious in the sense that you can't do stuff you do in a comic without it looking silly. In a comic or cartoon,
Spoiler:
you can let the main characters crawl into a giant fish, and let it be fished up by a fisher, and then moved to the world of fish
but try doing the same in 3D, and it does not funny, it just looks weird. Thus serious in this context is that it looks more like real life. Life is serious, a comic/cartoon is not(in comparison) and that in itself makes a comic/comic more silly and funny and gives the writer more chances to do weird and really strange things without it looking weird.

I'm not crazy about 3D, I prefer the ancient handdrawn adventures, but I really do not understand what you're saying, sorry. If you mean that Season 1with its walking statues etcetera is weird where the first Sam&Max game was funny, then I couldn't disagree more. And if you mean Season 1 is more like real life, then I envy you, you must lead a very interesting life!

Marek 08-02-2007 02:26 AM

If you use one of these links, Adventure Gamers gets a small affiliate commission :)

Sam & Max at Amazon UK
Sam & Max at Amazon Germany
Sam & Max at Amazon France
Sam & Max at Amazon.com
Sam & Max at Amazon Canada

Wormsie 08-02-2007 07:59 AM

I think what he means is that 2D cartoon graphics are better at establishing suspension of disbelief than 3D graphics. I can't comment on that since I haven't played Season 1.

Ariel Type 08-02-2007 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fienepien (Post 429443)
There's as much or as little "storyline" in a game like DoTT as there is in Season 1. DoTT is not an adventure?

At least DoTT has plenty of interesting puzzles. Though I'm personally not a big fan of DoTT, and the lack of real storyline is the main reason.

Squinky 08-02-2007 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marek (Post 429434)
That said, I don't play adventure games primarily for the puzzles, I play them for the total experience.

This makes me happy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ariel Type (Post 429440)

Really? I prefer progressing puzzles and a storyline that makes you think.

Ariel Type 08-02-2007 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squinky (Post 429540)
Really? I prefer progressing puzzles and a storyline that makes you think.

That's not the case with S&M either.

Squinky 08-02-2007 10:52 AM

You're just not thinking hard enough. :P

jp-30 08-02-2007 12:21 PM

Ariel Type, you haven't actually played the Telltale Sam & Max episodes, have you?

Ariel Type 08-02-2007 01:35 PM

I've played through all of them, it's my job after all. "Interactive sitcom" is the best definition so far. In other words, "interactive cartoon" or "casual adventure", which is the same here. It makes an illusion of adventure game, while being simple dialog-based comedy. From this point of view I enjoyed several episodes (5, 2 and 4), but when a player or reviewer say "it's a classical adventure game at its best", I just can't understand them.

Udvarnoky 08-02-2007 01:37 PM

Casual adventure?

Naturally I'd like to know your definition of an adventure game. Don't skimp on the details!

Squinky 08-02-2007 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ariel Type (Post 429576)
I've played through all of them, it's my job after all. "Interactive sitcom" is the best definition so far. In other words, "interactive cartoon" or "casual adventure", which is the same here. It makes an illusion of adventure game, while being simple dialog-based comedy. From this point of view I enjoyed several episodes (5, 2 and 4), but when a player or reviewer say "it's a classical adventure game at its best", I just can't understand them.

Well, you're absolutely right. However, unlike yourself, I (and some others, I gather) see this as an improvement to "classical adventure games". :D

noknowncure 08-02-2007 02:13 PM

It's great that people are finding new ways to make adventure games, and because the games are smaller, improvements can be made faster. Most people agree that the games have improved over the course of the series, so hopefully things will continue in that direction.

The games are exactly what they intended to be.

On an entirely unrelated note, Squinky's quote from Gaston in Disney's Beauty and the Beast, has caused some unresolved issues to resurface within me: When I first saw the movie, my child's brain* was enraged by the fact that - despite Gaston's bold and arrogant claims - we'd just seen that Belle's book did have pictures; when she was singing to some sheep by a fountain! I'll have my revenge on you yet, Disney!

It's "Raja-the-Tiger-having-heart-patterned-boxer-short-fabric-in-his-mouth,-despite-having-only-torn-the-visiting-prince's-outer-trousers" all over again.

*Just to stress, I was entirely a child at that point, not just the brain.

MasterLoo 08-02-2007 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noknowncure (Post 429582)
The games are exactly what they intended to be.

That's a good quote, and true too.