Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   True confessions! "I have never played..." (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/20244-true-confessions-i-have-never-played.html)

Davies 06-28-2007 02:12 AM

True confessions! "I have never played..."

Time to own up and risk the jeers of others.

What classic, must-have adventure games have you never (yet) played?

I'll start by admitting I've never so much as touched Maniac Mansion and the Day of the Tentacle.

DustyShinigami 06-28-2007 02:23 AM

Ditto. I have them but i can't be bothered with 'em at the moment, er...i mean i haven't got round to 'em yet. :D There's also Syberia 2 and Gabriel Knight 2 - i'm hopin' to get GK2 soon though and play it.

fajerkaos 06-28-2007 02:52 AM

Most of 'em :frown: (Grim Fandango, Gabriel Knight, Space Quest, Quest for Glory, Tex Murphy, The Longest Journey, Zork and the list goes on)

But I've come around thinking that I'm saving them for worse times. :shifty:

TiAgUh 06-28-2007 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fajerkaos (Post 421835)
Most of 'em :frown: (Grim Fandango, Gabriel Knight, Space Quest, Quest for Glory, Tex Murphy, The Longest Journey, Zork and the list goes on)

same here .. except for Tim Schafer's brain-child ..Grim Fandango

Shany 06-28-2007 05:36 AM

I never played Myst, most of Sierra's Quest series (other than King's Quest 7), and Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers.

sand maester 06-28-2007 06:23 AM

I haven't played any of Sierras adventure games (still trying to get GK1 to work), never played Myst, and i've yet to play Syberia.

Bobske 06-28-2007 06:55 AM

Somebody, please close this thread! It's too painful to read!

Go play GK!

Never played The Neverhood...

CrimsonBlue 06-28-2007 07:01 AM

I've never played through any of the Space Quests, King's Quests or Maniac Mansion.

Jelena 06-28-2007 07:08 AM

I haven't played any Sam & Max games.

I'm planning to get Hit the Road but since I'm not that fond of the cartoony style I've been hesitating.

Giligan 06-28-2007 07:18 AM

Quote:

"I have never played..."
...Any game ending in "Quest".
...Any game starting with "Broken".
...Any game starting with "Gabriel".

Dale Baldwin 06-28-2007 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giligan (Post 421896)
...Any game ending in "Quest".

You mean.... you've never played Christmas Quest? Sacrilege!

Giligan 06-28-2007 07:39 AM

I was tempted. Still, that was about the time that Gears of War and Call of Duty 3 were on my play list, so that ended it.

ATMachine 06-28-2007 07:40 AM

I've never played any of the Broken Sword series.

BerserkerTails 06-28-2007 08:41 AM

No Broken Swords (Except for a few minutes of number 2, I believe)
No Mysts since the first one
No GK3
No Loom
No Longest Journey/Dreamfall

...I think that's it.

Oh, and I never completed Grim Fandango. Got to Year 3, but didn't play it for a while. Have to start that one over soon...

tsa 06-28-2007 11:03 AM

I've never played The day of the tentacle, Monkey Island, and I don't think I've ever finished a Roberta Williams game.

Kolzig 06-28-2007 11:13 AM

I've never played Sanitarium, though I own it.
I've never played Darkseed 1&2 and I owned both, now I own only the first one.
I've never played any of the King's Quest games even though I do own Roberta Williams anthology set in mint condition.
I've never played Last Express the full game, even though I've owned it for a couple of years now.

Do I need to continue with the listing? :)

Then again adventure games I haven't finished yet, but have played: Stilllife, Broken Sword 1, Gabriel Knight 3 and so many more.

There are of course also some adventure games that I've played and would've never wanted to play, if I had known how horrible those were, mainly I'm talking about Escape from Monkey Island. :)

Kazmajik 06-28-2007 11:27 AM

I never played Sam and Max Hit the Road, but I do have it, and it's on my list, especially with the new episodes (which I haven't played yet, either) soon to be available by retail.
I never finished Grim Fandango, but I will! Very soon! I'll have to start from the beginning, and see how it will play in XP, but I'm looking forward to it.

cwapitm 06-28-2007 12:15 PM

I have never played

Full Throttle
The Dig
Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2
Broken Sword 1 and 2
Gabriel Knight 1 and 2

At least those are the big ones. I never played any of the Myst games all the way through and I don't plan to. I hadn't played Grim Fandango until just this year.

MartyMcFly 06-28-2007 12:36 PM

With broken sword 1 and 2 being a fiver in the UK, what member on here has an excuse NOT to play lol?! Seriously, its worth it, broken sword was the game that introduced me to adventure, and still the best i have ever played.

As for what i havent played....ermmm....i own all 3 gabriel knights, and haven't properly played any of them! I will though i promise haha!

Valkyrie 06-28-2007 12:46 PM

I own The Dig, Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis, Loom, and Maniac Mansion, but I've never played any of them. (...Yet.)

I started Beneath a Steel Sky but never finished it.

And I've never been anywhere near any of the Sierra games.

Melanie68 06-28-2007 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sand maester (Post 421879)
(still trying to get GK1 to work)

Search the Hints/Tech help forum (I'm too lazy to do it right now :P) but there is a fan made patch that is an installer specifically for XP and it works like a charm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazmajik (Post 421975)
I never finished Grim Fandango, but I will! Very soon! I'll have to start from the beginning, and see how it will play in XP, but I'm looking forward to it.

Make sure you turn off your hyperthreading. Also, have a poke around the Hints/Tech help forum as there are lots of threads on this and in one of them is a link to a patch as well. :)

Kolzig 06-28-2007 01:33 PM

Oh yeah, I've never played Myst games, and I never will. Those are not my kind of games.

Jeysie 06-28-2007 01:43 PM

Lessee.

The SQ, PQ, and GK series, and KQ5 & 6 are the only Sierra games I've played.

Never played Loom, only finished half of Full Throttle, and only played the very first bit of Sam & Max Hit the Road.

I own but haven't yet played Tex Murphy: Overseer, nor have I played any of the other Tex games.

I own but haven't yet played The Longest Journey or Syberia.

I haven't played The Last Express.

Never played any of the Broken Sword, Zork, or Simon the Sorceror games.

Only played halfway through Myst, and don't plan on finishing it (or playing any of the others).

On the flip side, I have played some quirky/lesser known adventures, so maybe it balances out a little. :P

Peace & Luv, Liz

Panthera 06-28-2007 02:11 PM

Never played through a LucasArt (gave up on Grim Fandango) or Sierra game that I know of. Hah, I beat you! :P ;)

Oh, and only played two levels of a Myst game, and only played a bit of GK3.

Vina 06-28-2007 04:51 PM

I've never played Grim Fandango.... or DiscWorld.. or any of the popular serious series.

In fact, I've played about a total of 6 AGs. Compared to the majority of people on this forum that is a small fraction of the norm! I feel out of the loop.

jacog 06-28-2007 06:59 PM

Never played Day of the Tent Hackle or any of the *Quest games (started on a few KQs though)

Nelza 06-28-2007 07:14 PM

Let's see, I haven't played... Syberia, Quest for Glory, The Longest Journey, The Neverhood, Loom, Sanitarium, The Last Express, Stilllife, Full Throttle, The Dig, Simon the Sorcerer, or Discworld.

The sequels I haven't played are... Space Quest 3 (still fiddling with sound), Broken Sword 4 (need to upgrade my computer), Monkey Island 4 (mouse wouldn't work), King's Quest 2 (need to buy it), Riven (only just finished Myst).

Looking at all this it feels like I've hardly played anything! But I have... I promise!

Oh, and I haven't played... Christmas Quest *HIDES*.

DustyShinigami 06-29-2007 01:54 AM

Whoa, reading through some of the games people have listed there's actually quite a lot i haven't played. I still own quite a few adventure games (somewhere around 45 i think) and i've played through and completed them.

Other games i've not played are:

All of Sierra's games (the only ones that appeal to me are the Gabriel Knight games)
Gabriel Knight 3 (i have it, played it a bit but i'll go through it properly after 2)
The Dig (on my 'list of things to get')
Tex Murphy
Zork
Loom
All the Myst games (except for Riven, which i cheated through anyway)
The Neverhood (but i will as soon as i get it)
Dreamfall (on my 'list of things to get')
Darkfall 1 & 2 (on my 'list of things to get')
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (i have it, played it a bit, but don't like it)
The new Sam & Max games (except the first one)
Runaway 2

That's it for the mo.

QFG 06-29-2007 02:02 AM

No Broken Swords...

Trunkyo 06-29-2007 06:40 AM

I still haven't played any of the Tex Murphy series either... hopefully later this year. :)

Still looking for Loom, Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis, Kyrandia series, Discworld series, The Last Express and other classics.

noknowncure 06-29-2007 01:33 PM

I tend to avoid games with too many death sequences. Broken Sword, for example, is fine, with it's handful of deaths. On the other hand, all the old Sierra games where you die in a plethora of ridiculous ways, don't appeal.

I also don't like node games. They depress me, with their cold, clinical, sterile beauty.

Using these factors, why not see if YOU can extrapolate which games I've never played? First one with a comprehensive list gets a special hat.

LadyLinda 07-01-2007 05:59 AM

Alot of the games mentioned are the "old" classics which may or may not be hard to find or even play on today's newer machines and it's a shame because they were really great games.

For me, I haven't played alot of the newer games released in the past couple of years only because I haven't had the time or money to devote to playing. I still can catch up though.

Hammerite 07-01-2007 08:43 AM

Gabriel knight, the whole series.

I do plan on getting them sometime.

Zanthia 07-01-2007 11:37 AM

I didn't play any of king quest games but kq5
I didn't play any of spay quest gamest but first 1.5
I didn't play any of the GK games
I didn't play Grim fandago, any Myst, Any Police Quest, The Last Express., Zork, Quest for Glory, Stilllife, Tex Murphy, Dreamfall, any Darkfall .

vivasawadee 07-01-2007 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kolzig (Post 422018)
Oh yeah, I've never played Myst games, and I never will. Those are not my kind of games.

You're my hero :)

Not A Speck Of Cereal 07-02-2007 06:45 PM

Um, I'm working on it.

Of the 79 games I own, ~30 have yet to be played (though several I've played have been played more than once).

My shopping list of games to add to the collection contain 38 titles.

Henke 07-03-2007 10:41 AM

Hmm, when I think about it I have at least tried many (if not all) of the classics. I haven't played any of the Kyrandia-games though.

thatha 07-04-2007 04:26 AM

Father, forgive me for I never played:

Grim Fandango
Monkey Island
Day of Tentacle
Broken Swords..
Sam & Max
Gabriel Knight..
Myst..

This is so embarassing..

Boneho Chane 07-04-2007 08:25 AM

The only commonly considered adventure game "classics" I can think of that I haven't played is the GK series and The Neverhood.

Angela 07-04-2007 12:34 PM

I've never played Obsidian or Faust.