Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Wed 24 January 2007 (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/18609-adventure-game-scene-day-wed-24-january-2007-a.html)

Melanie68 01-23-2007 11:07 PM

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Wed 24 January 2007

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...shots/bs3A.jpg

I really loved this game (link to game name). It was certainly a departure from the first two but I had a lot of fun and couldn't stop playing once I started. Even though I'm not a master of direct control, it was fun to do using a gamepad. It didn't take me long to get a hang of the interface and I even liked the crates as well as the stealth elements. :)

Just posting this makes me want to play this game again (especially since I can't remember exactly where you get the boxer shorts from :P).

DEMON 01-23-2007 11:17 PM

I liked this game way better than the next part in the series. But its not as ggod as BS1 and 2, though.
Nice pic anyway, i almost forgot how good does Nico look from behind :P

Jelena 01-24-2007 03:22 AM

I seem to be playing all game series in the wrong order. This was the first Broken Sword game I played and I enjoyed it as well, although it took me some hours of gameplay to get into the story and the characters.
My favourite B.S game is so far the first, I still haven't played the last in the series.

DEMON 01-24-2007 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelena (Post 384235)
I still haven't played the last in the series.

lucky you :D

Panthera 01-24-2007 10:09 AM

So far I've played, it was okay, I actually liked the puzzles you had in that cave, maybe with the exception of that extremely long box puzzle, but I just can't play anymore, I hate sneaking, and I hate dying, so this long sneaking thing at the castle, it has just made me not want to play anymore..

It was horrible enough with those small quick "react quickly" scenes, like the car. Honestly, did anyone manage that one on the first try?

Edit: oh, and I can tell you how you get those boxers.. :P

Atlantis 01-24-2007 11:14 AM

Meh, I liked the interactive cutscenes
Spoiler:
Such as swacking that man with a frying pan or fridge door or whatnot
but it was all too much like a platformer for me to enjoy, I like my simple P&C games, like the first two, I considered playing the fourth, but no-one seems to like it.. lol.

Jackal 01-24-2007 11:38 AM

My favourite Broken Sword game. Not the one I'd objectively call the best, perhaps, but the one I enjoyed playing the most. Kicking back with a gamepad was a great way to play it. :)

AFGNCAAP 01-24-2007 01:44 PM

Broken Sword 3 wasn't half as revolutionary as all the hype it got (prevalent on these forums back when I was only an unregistered lurker. Ah, I feel so old. :D) made it out to be, but I had a really good time playing it. Especially compared to disappointing Broken Sword 2.

The underwear-related humor was just as unfunny as in #2, though. :P

Kolzig 01-27-2007 12:34 PM

A disappointment to me as a game, but I have to admit that Broken Sword games have never been that close to my heart. The only game that I absolutely love from Revolution is Beneath A Steel Sky.

RLacey 01-27-2007 01:48 PM

Probably the Broken Sword game that I enjoyed the least (yes, I actually liked BS4), if only because there wasn't a whole lot of actual game there. The production values were good (better than the sequel's), but I didn't find the puzzles nearly challenging enough and the sneaking sections grated; when I replayed it I got to a section where you have to sneak through a chapel that I just couldn't do the second time round. Still, it was fun enough once.

And, like Kolzig, I actually prefer BASS to BS.

Junkface 01-31-2007 06:23 AM

The crate puzzles and stealth (yes, I know it's been said) were incredibly irritating, the first because often implementing the solution took a great deal longer than actually coming up with it and the second because it seemed so unrefined, unrealistic and sometimes arbitrary.
Spoiler:
I'm in a prior or whatever's office but the only bible in the vicinity is in the pulpit... so I have to sneak past two armed guards again... twice?

The writing was also a bit hit and miss (though the Irish TV presenter is one of my favourite characters from the whole series, and I detest the Irish) and the character design inconsistent (Bruno in particular was perfect but George and Nico felt completely wrong.) The part where:
Spoiler:
George finds King Arthur and Excalibur, Nico appears to die, then in a surprise twist doesn't and George beats up a dragon
was particularly dire.

Overall it was still a decent game, with a good visual style in general, some worthwhile puzzles and gameplay experiments (the Quicktime events had potential, though they weren't always implemented very well) and sometimes excellent writing. I'd rank it below BS2 in charm but higher objectively.