You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Wed 24 January 2007

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007, 11:07 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Wed 24 January 2007

I really loved this game ( link to game name). It was certainly a departure from the first two but I had a lot of fun and couldn't stop playing once I started. Even though I'm not a master of direct control, it was fun to do using a gamepad. It didn't take me long to get a hang of the interface and I even liked the crates as well as the stealth elements.

Just posting this makes me want to play this game again (especially since I can't remember exactly where you get the boxer shorts from ).
Old 01-23-2007, 11:17 PM   #2

I liked this game way better than the next part in the series. But its not as ggod as BS1 and 2, though.
Nice pic anyway, i almost forgot how good does Nico look from behind
Old 01-24-2007, 03:22 AM   #3
Lazy Bee

I seem to be playing all game series in the wrong order. This was the first Broken Sword game I played and I enjoyed it as well, although it took me some hours of gameplay to get into the story and the characters.
My favourite B.S game is so far the first, I still haven't played the last in the series.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
I still haven't played the last in the series.
lucky you
Old 01-24-2007, 10:09 AM   #5
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

So far I've played, it was okay, I actually liked the puzzles you had in that cave, maybe with the exception of that extremely long box puzzle, but I just can't play anymore, I hate sneaking, and I hate dying, so this long sneaking thing at the castle, it has just made me not want to play anymore..

It was horrible enough with those small quick "react quickly" scenes, like the car. Honestly, did anyone manage that one on the first try?

Edit: oh, and I can tell you how you get those boxers..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 01-24-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
The Ultimate Insult

Meh, I liked the interactive cutscenes
Spoiler:
Such as swacking that man with a frying pan or fridge door or whatnot
but it was all too much like a platformer for me to enjoy, I like my simple P&C games, like the first two, I considered playing the fourth, but no-one seems to like it.. lol.

Currently playing; CSI Deadly Intent, Tales Of Monkey Island Ep 1
Recently finished;Secret Files Puritas Cordis, Prof Layton and Pandora's Box
Eagerly anticipating;Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe new world, Nearly Departed
Old 01-24-2007, 11:38 AM   #7
Hopeful skeptic

My favourite Broken Sword game. Not the one I'd objectively call the best, perhaps, but the one I enjoyed playing the most. Kicking back with a gamepad was a great way to play it.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:44 PM   #8
Dungeon Master

Broken Sword 3 wasn't half as revolutionary as all the hype it got (prevalent on these forums back when I was only an unregistered lurker. Ah, I feel so old. ) made it out to be, but I had a really good time playing it. Especially compared to disappointing Broken Sword 2.

The underwear-related humor was just as unfunny as in #2, though.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:34 PM   #9
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

A disappointment to me as a game, but I have to admit that Broken Sword games have never been that close to my heart. The only game that I absolutely love from Revolution is Beneath A Steel Sky.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #10
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Probably the Broken Sword game that I enjoyed the least (yes, I actually liked BS4), if only because there wasn't a whole lot of actual game there. The production values were good (better than the sequel's), but I didn't find the puzzles nearly challenging enough and the sneaking sections grated; when I replayed it I got to a section where you have to sneak through a chapel that I just couldn't do the second time round. Still, it was fun enough once.

And, like Kolzig, I actually prefer BASS to BS.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:23 AM   #11
Grah! Grah!

The crate puzzles and stealth (yes, I know it's been said) were incredibly irritating, the first because often implementing the solution took a great deal longer than actually coming up with it and the second because it seemed so unrefined, unrealistic and sometimes arbitrary.
Spoiler:
I'm in a prior or whatever's office but the only bible in the vicinity is in the pulpit... so I have to sneak past two armed guards again... twice?

The writing was also a bit hit and miss (though the Irish TV presenter is one of my favourite characters from the whole series, and I detest the Irish) and the character design inconsistent (Bruno in particular was perfect but George and Nico felt completely wrong.) The part where:
Spoiler:
George finds King Arthur and Excalibur, Nico appears to die, then in a surprise twist doesn't and George beats up a dragon
was particularly dire.

Overall it was still a decent game, with a good visual style in general, some worthwhile puzzles and gameplay experiments (the Quicktime events had potential, though they weren't always implemented very well) and sometimes excellent writing. I'd rank it below BS2 in charm but higher objectively.

Last edited by Junkface; 01-31-2007 at 07:06 AM.