Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   The Whispered World (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/18094-whispered-world.html)

MaFratelli 05-06-2009 12:46 PM

He is. He's the one who makes all those gorgeous backgrounds. :)

J.H 05-06-2009 01:55 PM

Wow, really improved since his first attempts with the basic game.

Neptin 06-24-2009 03:59 AM

The Whispered World trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTv8bG8WEto

nomadsoul 06-24-2009 05:34 AM

Insanely gorgeous and beautiful ART, 10/10 to art and imagination. Insane amount of detail and loving the colors. Finally an adventure GEM.

Guys tell me when its coming in English?
Please hurry i cannot wait, hype skyrocketed.

Neptin 06-24-2009 07:27 AM

Deep Silver will publish The Whispered World in France, Spain, Italy, Germany and the UK, but there are no dates set at the moment - except for the German release on August 28.

We're hoping to complete the international versions by the end of this year. The release date in the international territories is up to the local partners though - in Sweden that would be Koch Media. The game will also be available via digital download, but we have not set a release date yet.

The German version will be released on August 28 and we are currently putting the final polish on it.

http://forum.daedalic.de/viewtopic.p...a80706ad922eda

mtgmaster 06-24-2009 01:19 PM

I really hope they give this game decent voice acting for the English release. Hopefully with English accents too. It'd be a shame to waste the great graphics (and hopefully great game play) with crappy voice acting.

Does the theme tune remind anyone else of the Mirrors Edge theme?

Ariel Type 06-24-2009 11:58 PM

The irony is, such a beauty comes from the same people who made Edna Bricht Aus) Looks like a really nice start for a new adventure company.

PolloDiablo 06-25-2009 04:02 AM

August 28 is just a couple of days too late. I was hoping to pick up a copy while I'm in Cologne for the Gamescom... :\

nomadsoul 06-25-2009 05:53 AM

Any chances of english text in german version, anyone up for english patch, i can't wait.

Quote:

Does the theme tune remind anyone else of the Mirrors Edge theme?
Reminds me of oblivion or RPG-ish theme.

Neptin 06-25-2009 07:02 AM

The retail box of The Whispered World will offer a special three dice copy protection (like the Monkey Island Dial-a-Pirate code wheel). A great feature, if you ask me :)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...hL._SS400_.jpg

The score reminds me of the Ghibli movies.

nomadsoul 06-25-2009 07:15 AM

Evry single game on pC can be cracked, regardless of any protection it will land on 'net' anyway.

Not music but that ending scene with huge town on back of duck reminds me of Ghibli.

Neptin 06-25-2009 07:26 AM

That's for sure and not their intention. I think its just a special idea for longtime adventure fans.

ozzie 06-25-2009 04:10 PM

The dices are not only part of the copy protection, you can also play a game with them!

Terramax 06-26-2009 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neptin (Post 514435)
The score reminds me of the Ghibli movies.

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprising if they took a page out of Ghibli's book visually also.

J.H 06-26-2009 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terramax (Post 514525)
Agreed. I wouldn't be surprising if they took a page out of Ghibli's book visually also.

I agree the art style's inspired by Ghibli I'm sure which is a welcomed approach IMO.

Galapago 07-01-2009 11:34 PM

Wow, the Trailer looks fantastic. Can't wait to play it!

sTyLnK 07-02-2009 12:44 AM

This game looks absolutely amazing. I can't wait! =]

nomadsoul 07-07-2009 07:37 AM

Damn yes 23 oct for uk release

http://www.strategyinformer.com/news...f-october-2009

Now give me details on system requirements and i am all set.

sTyLnK 07-07-2009 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadsoul (Post 515794)

That's great. =]

el_galo 07-12-2009 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadsoul (Post 515794)

There you go.

Quote:

Q12: Can you already say something about the system requirements?
MS Windows XP (min. SP2) or MS Windows Vista
2 GHz CPU
1 GB RAM
256 MB RAM GPU
DirectX® Version 9.0c
DVD-Drive
Keyboard, Mouse
From the FAQ of the Daedalic forum (http://forum.daedalic.de/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=81)

Still no info about needed HDD space but that shouldn't be a problem nowadays. If you like to compare it to Daedalic's other games: Edna bricht aus was ~7GB and 1 1/2 Ritter ~1GB in size. I guess Whispered World will be somewhere in between that range.

philthethrill 07-16-2009 01:26 AM

I've been looking forward to this game. Do you think it's worth importing or should I wait in case it's available through the Adventure Shop?

Linque 07-16-2009 03:51 AM

I'd always wait and buy the English version of these kind of titles, as the more of the English version is sold, the more inclined publishers are to make such versions out of these great German games. :)

Marduk 07-16-2009 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neptin (Post 504626)
http://www.the-whispered-world.com/

The Game > Story

Easy, heh? :D

I usually find myself sighing when people denounce the value of stories in games. I know I'm in a minority (maybe not on this site, but in the world of gamers in general) but I think the better the plot, dialogue and voice talent the better the game is. But this is a personal preference.

But story is at least half of what pulls an Adventure game together. A lot of people might play them mostly, or even entirely, for their puzzles, but many puzzles have to come from the dialogue or surroundings of an adventure game.

TWW looks delicious and I thoroughly look forward to its release :D

Linque 07-16-2009 11:59 PM

Do most people play adventure games just for the puzzles, really? If I'd have to guess that's not really the case.

All I can talk for is myself though, but at least I play adventure games pretty much entirely for the story and dialogue, plus the presentation of course (acting & graphics). Puzzles hardly count into the equation, though if they're very poor, they can detract from the game.

Marduk 07-17-2009 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linque (Post 516989)
Do most people play adventure games just for the puzzles, really? If I'd have to guess that's not really the case.

All I can talk for is myself though, but at least I play adventure games pretty much entirely for the story and dialogue, plus the presentation of course (acting & graphics). Puzzles hardly count into the equation, though if they're very poor, they can detract from the game.

What's this in response to?

Dale Baldwin 07-17-2009 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marduk (Post 517002)
What's this in response to?

I would assume you saying the following:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marduk
A lot of people might play them mostly, or even entirely, for their puzzles

Marduk 07-17-2009 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin (Post 517013)
I would assume you saying the following:

lol, i looked through everything on this page and the last one but I didn't think to look at my own post :P

Linque; what I was actually trying to say is that the story and the way it's told is just as important to many people as the puzzles or any other aspect of an AG.

I think I see why you thought otherwise, though;
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marduk (Post 516945)
I usually find myself sighing when people denounce the value of stories in games. I know I'm in a minority (maybe not on this site, but in the world of gamers in general) but I think the better the plot, dialogue and voice talent the better the game is. But this is a personal preference.

here I was referring to all computer games including (but certainly not specific to) Adventure Games.

In the next paragraph I was talking about AGs but I should have been more clear about this;
Quote:

A lot of people
by this I don't necessarily mean a majority.
Quote:

might play them
I say "might" because I don't know for sure; maybe nobody does plays them for the puzzles. The facts aren't substantiated but common sense tells me that these people must exist. Look at all those people who loved "Runaway", a game with truly great puzzles told terribly.
Quote:

but many puzzles have to come from the dialogue or surroundings of an adventure game.
I probably should have said "from the narrative and the surroundings of the character within an AG". What I'm saying is that the puzzles depend on the story or that they even [should] come organically from the story or even contribute towards the story (I suppose not all of them do, in the end, but I think that most do. I'm not going to replay every adventure game to back this up, though).

This is what I get when I try not to write long posts :P

MikeLXXXVIII 07-17-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marduk (Post 516945)

But story is at least half of what pulls an Adventure game together. A lot of people might play them mostly, or even entirely, for their puzzles, but many puzzles have to come from the dialogue or surroundings of an adventure game.

TWW looks delicious and I thoroughly look forward to its release :D

I agree with that, the main reason why I get frustrated and ending up not enjoying adventure games is because I play them for the puzzles and stories! This game has such an amazing art but the story better be engaging, the same with puzzles!

Linque 07-19-2009 09:40 AM

Ah ok yes I didn't understand that you were talking about all games, not just adventure games.

I kind of agree that the Story in most games doesn't get that much of attention from the general public as it does from me. That, or people tend to accept a lot of faults in the storyline that I refuse to digest. I've noticed nowdays that mostly because of the lack of a proper, thrilling plot, I lose interest in games. I hardly buy single player games anymore, either - but I'm quite certain that I would should there be some really involving storylines in them.

I particularly dislike the storytelling of Japanese console games; J-RPGs, the Metal Gear series and such. I do like Studio Ghibli's work, though. Then again, who doesn't? :)

I'm very proud of the Finnish developer Remedy. Max Payne is and now Alan Wake seems to be becoming pretty good examples of having poper storylines in action games.

Terramax 07-19-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linque (Post 517250)
Ah ok yes I didn't understand that you were talking about all games, not just adventure games.

I kind of agree that the Story in most games doesn't get that much of attention from the general public as it does from me. That, or people tend to accept a lot of faults in the storyline that I refuse to digest. I've noticed nowdays that mostly because of the lack of a proper, thrilling plot, I lose interest in games. I hardly buy single player games anymore, either - but I'm quite certain that I would should there be some really involving storylines in them.

I particularly dislike the storytelling of Japanese console games; J-RPGs, the Metal Gear series and such. I do like Studio Ghibli's work, though. Then again, who doesn't? :)

I'm very proud of the Finnish developer Remedy. Max Payne is and now Alan Wake seems to be becoming pretty good examples of having poper storylines in action games.

I agree with the majority of what you say. But I do think the fist Metal Gear Solid video game craftsmanship at it's best (which is more than what I can say for the sequel). Most JRPGs these days tend to reciprocate what's been done before, but I live in the hope that there will be another one as original and engaging as Disgaea: Hour of Darkness.

I think the biggest fault is that most video games are set in the same settings. How many stories can you tell about sci-fi marines, pirates, LotR fantasy heroes and modern day horror/ thriller protagonists?

Linque 07-20-2009 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terramax (Post 517276)
I agree with the majority of what you say. But I do think the fist Metal Gear Solid video game craftsmanship at it's best (which is more than what I can say for the sequel). Most JRPGs these days tend to reciprocate what's been done before, but I live in the hope that there will be another one as original and engaging as Disgaea: Hour of Darkness.

I knew I should've been more specific and truthful in my post. I absolutely agree with you that the first Metal Gear Solid had a very good storyline. Now that there's three sequels out there, it was just too easy to bundle all four of them together into one pile of rollerskating bomber sillyness. One big gripe I have with the original MGS is the Otacon character, which really breaks the deliciously gloomy mood of the game. Otherwise I'd give it an A+.

Also, I kind of agree with Disgaea being original. It wasn't *that* engaging, rather I loved the depth of the gameplay even though it got the better of me and exhausted me before I managed to finish the game. Still, at least the story was kind of different.

EDIT:
And re-reading my previous post, the Studio Ghibli comment seemed a bit vague - point of it was to tie this into the topic of this thread. The Whispered World resembles Ghibli movies a lot, and as such is kind of 'japanesey'. But that I do not mind at all, unlike japanese games' stories.

Marduk 07-20-2009 06:41 AM

OK, staying firmly on topic, this time, I've read a lot about changes in the art to signify that the game is intended for adults and not for children but I still don't know about the humour of the game.

Let me rephrase.... We know the game is not a comedy (or at least that's how it seems to me from what's been said) but does that mean it'll be all serious or will it be some kind of tragedy with a lot of jokes interspersed?

(I'm not going to comment on German humour, I actually see the humour in some of the German jokes I've heard but I can see why many people wouldn't get them over here).

Terramax 07-21-2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linque (Post 517331)
EDIT:
And re-reading my previous post, the Studio Ghibli comment seemed a bit vague - point of it was to tie this into the topic of this thread. The Whispered World resembles Ghibli movies a lot, and as such is kind of 'japanesey'. But that I do not mind at all, unlike japanese games' stories.

I wouldn't go as far as to say WW looks 'Japanesey', but I think the resemblance is in the colours, fantasy influences, weird and wonderful creatures, and the sheer scope in some of the shots in this game.

Still, it's impossible to be compared to anything better than Ghibli. The creators must be very proud of themselves.

Also, I don't know how I missed the link stating the game is coming out in the UK in October. That's FANTASTIC. I was thinking I'd be waiting until 2010.

That being said, I know better than to believe it will stick to that deadline. I hope there's a physical product instead of download only.

Linque 07-21-2009 10:45 PM

I just hope the English voice acting is on par with the rest of the presentation. I wasn't completely sold on Sadwick's German voice from the trailers, so there is a bit of a fear that it might bring the game down quite a bit.

About the release date, I personally don't mind waiting for a bit longer. Having followed adventure games for so long, waiting half a year more for something like this doesn't seem like much, should it get delayed.

Marduk 07-28-2009 12:39 PM

I just read this on the Daedalic's Whispered World FAQ;
Quote:

Q6: What are the creative inspirations behind TWW?

We have taken a lot of inspiration both from European and Asian fantasy, such as the animated movies of Hayao Miyazaki, as well as from classic fairy tales. Of course, the game is also very much indebted to the great adventure games of the past, like Monkey Island from LucasArts.
This is probably old news to some of you but I thought there was something familier about the sceneary on this. I loved all of the Hayao Miyazaki films I've seen and I don't know why I didn't connect them sooner. (Does Miyazaki do any of the art for his work or does he just direct it?)

Linque 07-29-2009 01:16 AM

Marduk, in case you didn't know, Hayao Miyazaki == Studio Ghibli. Many of the posts here mention the similarity. :)

Neptin 07-29-2009 06:24 AM

Retail edition with poster, manuel, runic dice, board game and game DVD.

http://www.daedalic.de/tww/bilder/im...ung_inhalt.jpg

AndreaDraco83 07-29-2009 06:37 AM

Now, the only thing I'm missing is the game itself :D

Marduk 07-29-2009 07:31 AM

I assume the 6 in the yellow square and the 12 in the orange are to signify the maturity contents of either game. Now all I need to know is how german certification system works :P

There's a big difference in maturity between a 6 year old and a 12 year old... Well... It's a big difference if you are 6 or 12.

Fien 07-29-2009 08:22 AM

Droggel...? Droggel ohne Becher...?

Droggelbecher!
Droggelbecher!!
DROGGELBECHER!!!

PS: My apologies to the poor folks who haven't played Daedalic's Edna bricht aus. :P