Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Top 10 AG of All Time (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/16875-top-10-ag-all-time.html)

Once A Villain 09-22-2006 11:13 AM

I am pleased to brag that 9 games that rank in the Top 16 overall in the poll are in my personal Top 10 list. MWAHAHA. The only one left out is Sherlock Holmes: Silver Earring, my #10.

Wimli 09-22-2006 12:37 PM

Good to see that all three of the Gabriel Knight adventure games hit the top 10! :) Would like to see the third one climb a few more spots though.

On the other hand, I am surprised that Zork Grand Inquisitor hardly got any votes. I thought it was considered one of the best adventure games ever, but here it barely makes it to the first 50. :frusty:

Be interested to see how things progress when more people vote.

AFGNCAAP 09-22-2006 03:38 PM

I was avoiding posting my list, because there are at least 20 games I'd like to see in my Top 10. But then I remembered that I, too, made a poll like this long ago, and was somewhat sad that there hadn't been more participants than there were, so... :D

1. Grim Fandango
2. Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
3. Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned
4. The Longest Journey
5. Zork Grand Inquisitor
6. Death Gate
7. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
8. Riddle of Master Lu
9. Sanitarium
10. Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars

Top three is pretty much fixed. The rest could be a very different selection in a very different order, but I didn't want to analyze it any longer.

And yes, I think closing the poll and announcing the results at some fixed point in time is more fun than having one list getting updated indefinitely. But whether with or without a second elimination round, I don't really care.

EDIT: I probably should add that my #8, The Riddle of Master Lu, is the same game as Ripley's Believe it or Not, already on the list.

fabio_pk 09-23-2006 12:34 AM

1. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
2. The Curse of Monkey Island
3. Conquests of Camelot
4. Discworld 2
5. The Secret of Monkey Island
6. Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within
7. Grim Fandango
8. Clandestiny
9. Larry 7
10. Sam and Max

AprilLives 09-23-2006 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sotaria (Post 337759)
I would like to start a poll for the top ten adventure games of all time, but before we start there are some rules.

It's a worthy question. But wouldn't participants need to have played a massive amount of wide ranging games in order to make such a distinction?

Sotaria 09-23-2006 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AprilLives (Post 343283)
It's a worthy question. But wouldn't participants need to have played a massive amount of wide ranging games in order to make such a distinction?

True, that is probably why some of the golden oldies aren't doing as well as they should, but this list will at least display some of that oldies that the younger generation may decide to play as a result of this poll.

kostas 09-23-2006 07:36 AM

I believe it is impossible to make a totally credible list. I think the list produced here is as trustworthy as it can get. It is a list made from true adventure gamers with pretty good criteria and grading. Good job Sotaria!:)

aries323 09-23-2006 07:48 AM

HI :)

This is my list:

1:
Grim Fandango

2:
Syberia 1

3:
Zork:Nemesis

4:
Broken Sword 1

5:
Monkey Island 2

6:
The Longest Journey 1 (i.e. NOT Dreamfall)

7:
One of the Gabriel Knight Games

8:
Secret Files: Tunguska (I know this is new adventure game, but I predict it will stand the test of time... :)

9:
Keepsake

10:
Still Life

aries323

dark13feel 09-23-2006 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sotaria (Post 342846)
Okay. Today I have compiled the current top 50 games. I have not included votes in this listing but many, especially those that just missed the cut could easily move into the top 50 as more people vote in the poll. Remember that these are preliminary results. Perhaps once we have more votes, we can go to elimination rounds. What do you think?

1. Grim Fandango
2. Curse of Monkey Island
3. Gabriel Knight - Sins of the Fathers
4. Broken Sword - Circle of Blood / aka Shadow of the Templars
5. Monkey Island 2 - Le Chuck's Revenge
6. Gabriel Knight - The Beast Within
7. Secret of Monkey Island
8. The Longest Journey
9. Day of the Tentacle
10. Gabriel Knight - Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned
11. Tex Murphy - Pandora Directive
12. Syberia
13. Riven
14. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
15. King's Quest 6 - Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow
16. The Last Express
17. Sam & Max Hit the Road
18. Bladerunner
19. Sanitarium
20. Still Life
21. Myst
22. Obsidian
23. Neverhood
24. Zork Nemesis
tie 25. Tex Murphy - Under A Killing Moon
tie 25. Full Throttle
27. Fahrenheit
tie 28. Discworld II - Mortality Bytes
tie 28. Dreamfall - The Longest Journey 2
30. Leisure Suite Larry 7
31. Conquests of The Longbow
tie 32. Tex Murphy: Overseer
tie 32. Myst IV: Revelation
tie 34. Space Quest 5
tie 34. Syberia II
tie 36. King's Quest 3
tie 36. Simon the Sorcerer
tie 36. Simon the Sorcerer 2
tie 39. Beneath A Steel Sky
tie 39. Myst III: Exile
tie 41. Leisure Suit Larry 2
tie 41. Escape from Monkey Island
tie 41. Broken Sword 2
tie 41. Keepsake
tie 45. Runaway
tie 45. Scratches
tie 45. Quest for Glory 2 - Trial by Fire
tie 45. Loom
tie 49. Broken Sword – The Sleeping Dragon
tie 49. Zork Grand Inquisitor

If y'all want to do an elimination round later (not yet) then here is how it would work. Once we have enough votes to get a solid top 50 list, I will start a new thread with that top 50 and people can vote for a top ten but can ONLY vote for those ranked in the top 50. Let me know what y'all think?

But then all new games that doesnt release yet never come to list,for example some people plays Secret Files:Tunguska and that game put in their top 10 but because elimination round that game never come to list.Also some people might change their mind and some new game come in their list but then you should allow those people to write their previous list and their new list with new games,I hope you understand me because my english is weak.

Wimli 09-23-2006 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aries323 (Post 343377)
HI :)
7:
One of the Gabriel Knight Games

Which one do you like best. All three of the Gabriel Knight games are on the list. I know it's hard to pick just one, but we all had to do it (or gave three spots to the GK games, to include them all). ;)

Btw, someone over at justadventure started a similar project about a similar project to get a list of best adventure games of all time. I don't recall which methods he exactly used, but I remember it included a LOT of polls on the forum conducted over a long period of time, with this list as the end result: Top 50 Adventures of All Time.

It's already two years old, so it misses any recent games, but still, it's an interesting list. Will be fun to compare this one to the one here when voting closes. :)

_KOLDA_ 09-24-2006 04:21 AM

Secret Files: Tunguska :D :D :D

You've finished it???? I think it isn't at stores!

Dale Baldwin 09-24-2006 05:18 AM

It's been available in Germany for weeks.

MissAVuk 09-24-2006 09:46 AM

This is hard because the order keeps changing as I play new games either the latest or some older ones.This is my current list:

1. Syberia
2. Grim Fandango
3. Dreamfall
4. GK2 - The beast within
5. The longest journey
6. Syberia 2
7. Gabriel Knight 1
8. Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit
9. Shadow of memories/destiny
10. Runaway

_KOLDA_ 09-24-2006 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin (Post 343942)
It's been available in Germany for weeks.

sh*t

daikatana_ 09-25-2006 09:55 AM

Well, lets try...

1. Bioforge
2. Broken Sword 1
3. Broken Sword 2
4. The Dig
5. Future Wars
6. Broken Sword 4
7. The Longest Journey
8. Sam & Max
9. Dark Earth
10. Gabriel Knight

Well, it could go on and on, and im really not sure about the order, but Bioforge and Broken Sword fits on the top for sure :)

btw, Bioforge and Broken Sword are the games i play from time to time... I finished Bioforge couple of weeks ago again :)

Sotaria 09-25-2006 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daikatana_ (Post 344631)
Well, lets try...
1. Bioforge

Not picking on you here, just curious. I never really thought of Bioforge as an adventure game at all. In fact, I had so much trouble getting the game to functions (although I think I finally got it working with DOSBOX), I gave up before even starting. Is it really adventure, action, or a hybrid?

daikatana_ 09-25-2006 10:06 PM

Well, its an adventure for sure... I guess it could be called something like: "cyberpunk action aventure with fighting elements" :)

It runs great with dosbox, i use gulikoza's modification.

daikatana_ 09-25-2006 11:22 PM

Ooooooooooooooh and how could i forget....???!!!
Little Big Adventure 1 and 2 have to be between the first 5...

Evolution825 09-26-2006 10:08 AM

10.The Secret of Monkey Island
9.Lure of the Temptress
8.Chrono Trigger
7.Myst (the entire series)
6.Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
5.5 Days a Stranger
4.Beneath a Steel Sky
3.Loom
2.Maniac Mansion
1.Alone in the Dark

I've probably forgotten something and I'll be slapping myself later...
er

daikatana_ 09-26-2006 10:48 AM

Well, Chrono Trigger was really great game, tho its an RPG :)
And Alone In The Dark....was great too but i prefere Resident Evil and that should be in the top 10 too :)