Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Sierra Compilations Finally Shipping? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/16123-sierra-compilations-finally-shipping.html)

Spikey 10-10-2006 10:17 PM

Why? Because I'm not the one who has the issue of distributing them ;) If someone on my website asked for an install.exe file I'd be happy to upload it and wear any unlikely potential consequences.

Actually, more to the point, I think if I asked they'd have no idea what I was talking about and I'd probably get some broad 'don't distribute Vivendi's content' line.

As for Open Season, what differences are there between the non-talkie and talkie versions? As you guys'd know, almost all have lots of differences that isn't simply just 'one has speech, one doesn't'. They usually have better graphics, some different new messages or less messages (e.g. Freddy Pharkas), and other stuff too.

- Spike

QFG 10-29-2006 11:34 PM

Spikey, quick question. At the Janitorial Times forum I replied to your message, but I thought it might do double duty to post my question here, too, in case someone else has the same problem.

My SQ6 won't make it past the intro without some VMD problem in DOS mode. Plus the audio quality is horrible. So, taking your advice, I switched to Windows mode. So far, so good - except... the window it creates is very small (I run 1280x1024) and no matter how I size the window manually, the actual game screen stays tiny. Talk about a pixel hunt...

I already tried to alter the screen size within the RESOURCE.WIN file, but no luck.

Any idea how to use Windows mode AND get full-screen?

Note: I'm hesitant to change my desktop resolution because I have a ton of icons which will get horribly rearranged if I do so.

Thanks in advance...

Chaosphere 03-10-2007 07:02 PM

Is there a manual included in these compilations? I remember that some puzzles in the games required the manual.

LeisureSuitedLooney 03-10-2007 07:07 PM

In the Larry compilation, there's a slip of paper with some general instructions, and the copyright stuff is on a PDF on the cd.

Jayel 03-10-2007 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeisureSuitedLooney (Post 397398)
In the Larry compilation, there's a slip of paper with some general instructions, and the copyright stuff is on a PDF on the cd.

What's up with that thing? The Ultimate Pleasure Pack had all 6 (or 8, depending on your perspective) games WITH printed manuals, and now the new compilation is not only missing the manuals, it's missing a few games?

CrimsonBlue 03-11-2007 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QFG (Post 358923)
My SQ6 won't make it past the intro without some VMD problem in DOS mode. Plus the audio quality is horrible. So, taking your advice, I switched to Windows mode. So far, so good - except... the window it creates is very small (I run 1280x1024) and no matter how I size the window manually, the actual game screen stays tiny. Talk about a pixel hunt...

I found that in games that does this, you only need to change the resolution of your windows before you play the game. Since it's windowed, it will always follow the windows settings. Change to 640*480 or something like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayel (Post 397421)
What's up with that thing? The Ultimate Pleasure Pack had all 6 (or 8, depending on your perspective) games WITH printed manuals, and now the new compilation is not only missing the manuals, it's missing a few games?

Lacking the manuals for LSL3 and LSL5 is severly damaging. The manual requires crucial hints to complete the game in LSL3, and without it you will HAVE to use a walkthrough. LSL5 needs the airline codes.

LeisureSuitedLooney 03-11-2007 03:27 AM

Yeah, they did the bare minimum of work on this compilation, took a lot of shortcuts...and no LSL 7. Pretty disappointing, and the experience has really made me hesitant to get the other XP compilations.

Chaosphere 03-11-2007 04:23 AM

What? That's just lame. Can anyone tell me how the situation is with the other games pdf-manuals if there is anything missing or something.

CrimsonBlue 03-11-2007 04:47 AM

In Police Quest VGA, you need the locker code, which is in the written manual. I can't find it in my old Police Quest Collection, which is extremely annoying. Don't have the XP collections, so I don't know if they are the same.

eXo 03-11-2007 08:54 AM

Don't forget that the PDF manuals for LSL2 and the actual version of the game they included are incompatible. Different versions of the game had different pictures of women with different colored hair. Even if you print the bloody manual and use it, it's still going to be impossible to get past copy protection with it.

I believe a nasty email to Viviendi gets one an email with the correct coloring in it - but they aren't sending them out unless you bitch at them first.

Stain 03-11-2007 02:43 PM

I bought all of the XP compilations except the LSL one (no LSL7 and the non-talkie version of LSL6 was enough from me to pass on it). All of the other compilations have the CD and a standard one sheet general instruction page (they all had the exact same onesheet instructions). The KQ compilation is 2 CDs, the others are one CD.

All have a PDF file that is the instructions. The SQ compilation comes with a PDF of the previous compilation's manual for SQ1-5 (not scans of the original manuals), then a scan of the actual SQ6 manual is attached to the end of the PDF.

For PQ, the PDF file is the instructions that came with the previous PQ compilation. Fortunately, that inculded scans of the original manuals. It is 202 pages long, thanks to PQ4's lengthy manual.

The KQ compilation has a PDF file that includes the manual from the previous KQ collection, not the original manuals (much like the SQ collection). Vivendi slacked sooo much on this compliation that the KQ PDF instructions are 110 pages. Why so much? Well, because they include instructions for Colonel's Bequest, Mystery House, Laura Bow 2, Mixed-up Mother Goose, and more! What fun, instructions to games that are not included. Good job Vivendi!

Stain

Dasilva 03-11-2007 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stain (Post 397588)
What fun, instruction to games that are not included. Good job Vivendi!

Lmao. Thats very sloppy of them, although funny when you think of it. :)

Stain 03-11-2007 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue (Post 397457)
In Police Quest VGA, you need the locker code, which is in the written manual. I can't find it in my old Police Quest Collection, which is extremely annoying. Don't have the XP collections, so I don't know if they are the same.

I found the PQ1(VGA) locker code in the PDF instructions of the new compilation (which appear to be the same as the manual in the older compilation. It is burried in the text of a "news story" for new cadets called "New Cadets: For Your Eyes Only".

Cheers,
Stain

Trader 03-12-2007 07:30 AM

Sierra Compilations Finally Shipping?

Does this compilation contain the game Lighthouse:the Dark Being ?

Chaosphere 03-12-2007 07:34 AM

Uuh, why would it?

Melanie68 03-12-2007 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trader (Post 397701)
Does this compilation contain the game Lighthouse:the Dark Being ?

No. There are 4 compilations: Police Quest, King's Quest, Space Quest and Leisure Suit Larry. If you search the forums, there are quite a few threads and some earlier posts in this thread talk about what games come on each compilation. :)

Trader 03-12-2007 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaosphere (Post 397702)
Uuh, why would it?

If it did I would buy it, I enjoyed lighthouse and wouldnt mind getting my hands on a copy.

Trader 03-12-2007 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68 (Post 397703)
No. There are 4 compilations: Police Quest, King's Quest, Space Quest and Leisure Suit Larry. If you search the forums, there are quite a few threads and some earlier posts in this thread talk about what games come on each compilation. :)

I just read the posted by Jack Allin on September 18, 2006 on the compilation and what it contains,I should look before I leap.