Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Greatest Adventure Game of All Time? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/144-greatest-adventure-game-all-time.html)

Wajus 09-17-2003 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginny
What are you talking about, hard to find? I've had the demo for a long time now, I don't remember where I donloaded it but I really liked it and will get the game at my first chance naturally ;). Anyway, if you can't find the demo, I can send it to you. I think I downloded it from either the official site or that Gamespy site, or something :P

I found a lot of links but all were broken. All the download sites seem to delete their old demos. As I already mentioned even the official TLE site stopped hosting the demo file.

However during my search I found nice page with some old adventure games demos but with no TLE however - feel free to enjoy it:

http://www.adventure-treff.de/specials/downloads.php

Quote:

Originally Posted by twifkak
The search is off.

Thanks a lot!

Kolzig 09-17-2003 07:01 AM

On top of all, Secret of Monkey Island on pc and amiga.

Grim was great, the controls was it's only flaw, over 90/100 points game still very clearly.

The background graphics are still breathtaking in Grim.

Wajus 09-17-2003 07:26 AM

Even I'm eager to agree that controls in Grim Fandango aren't flawless. But it is rather a matter of bugs. The general idea behind Grim Fandango's controls however is simply brilliant. The workmanship even though the bugs is still impressive and remains intuitive.

remixor 09-17-2003 01:22 PM

Geez, I even some some things in the TLE trailer that I didn't see when I played through the game.

DomStLeger 09-17-2003 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragnar
Between TLE and ? You seem to have missed something in the post. :)

Hehe I originally had 2 games but I decided I couldn't be arsed. Oops... (ok 4 games)

And thanks for the links Twifak; I've got the demo already (btw it plays slightly differently to the game I think; just the order) but the trailer; behind the scenes bit etc are great!

Btw something I forgot to mention, the music in TLE is superb (thouggh used fairly sparingly if I recall correctlt); especially the music over the end credits.

Wajus 09-17-2003 11:17 PM

Well I just finished TLE demo. It's pretty short and doesn't show much but it really makes me wanna play the full game nevertheless.

twifkak 09-18-2003 01:19 AM

You guys are welcome... to kiss my ass!

Also, thank archive.org. Yay1

Yes, TLE music was cool. The original score was written by this guy, while the (not original) concert music was by César Franck. The soundtrack is available somewhere, but doesn't contain the concert piece (which I found eventually on amazon, after some poking and prodding).

Ginny 09-18-2003 02:06 AM

krkode: I would send you the demo but twif already found it: Thanks twif ;) I'm downloading the extra's right now.
Wajus: Hmm, odd, a lot of the links don't work or don't download. Maybe it'll be ok later :)

Skinny Minnie 09-19-2003 11:08 AM

I cast my vote alongside Dom, ragnar and Twif! The Last Express it is! GF is pretty good, but stinky controls ding it. Plus, I was more immersed in the constant overwhelming intensity of TLE than the more laid-back humor of Grim... I have a preference for thriller plots in adventure games even above humor, though...

Angela 09-19-2003 04:49 PM

My all time favorite is The Longest Journey; I love the characters, and the story totally engrossed me the first time I played it. I love Grim Fandango--I even like the keyboard controls--but no story in a game has captured me the way TLJ did. I was upset when it was over.

BostonLow 09-19-2003 05:02 PM

Leisure Suit Larry 3!
I think.
I dunno. I remember it being very good, but my modern PCs can't run it.

D.C. 09-21-2003 10:55 AM

Gabriel Knight III: Blood Of The Sacred, Blood Of The Damned

vanderwaal 09-22-2003 02:58 AM

Not going to cover any new ground with this post, I can see. Grim Fandango. The first thing I always think about after the last cut scene of any adventure game has played is whether or not I'd enjoy watching it as a movie. That's why I almost always play through the good ones again. I know the solutions to the puzzles. I know where to go to make the story flow well. It's like watching a movie the second time around. I really dig that. I always thought that would be a great "feature" to add to an adventure game. In the end you should have the opportunity to rewind the entire game and watch it through as a movie. That would completely rock. Most "real" adventure game fans will probably flame to bits for suiggesting such a thing but I think it'd be great. I guess I've gotten off the point here slightly. No other game has given me the feeling of being involved in a really good movie the way Grim Fandango did. For that reason alone it is my favorite all time game. All of the rest of it's qualities are icing. God, I love that game.

vanderwaal

The Adventurer 09-22-2003 05:58 AM

I'm going to do something a little different here and just post my top 5 list of what I perseave as a greatest adventure games.

1: Grim Fandango (I had absolutly no problem with the controls, though being of by an inch of a door, sent you running left or right a mile, you got used to it. Incredibly fluid story and moody)

2: Zork: Nemesis (I hate Myst and it's many clones, however Zork: N (and Zork: Grand Inquisitor as well) are the exception. Wonderfuly buitiful, with a griping story, a fantastic mystery, a twist ending, soild puzzles, basicly everything that a top adventure game needs)

3: Monkey Island 2: Lechuck's Revenge (Quite possibly the greatest Adventure game ever if it wasn't for a few Puzzles that made no real sense. I personaly loved the ending)

4: Full Throttle (It's short and the Bike Combat will give you fits of frustration, but other then those Full Throttle is near perfect Adventure Game.)

5: Discworld Noir (Incedibly detailed story and setting wise, drawing on all kinds of Discoworld lore. Not only incoperation the Noir Genre but also the discworld equivilant of the Lovecraft Mythos. Some of the puzzles were increadibly difficult because of the Notepad interface, and Inventory bugs were abound. But story wise it's one of the best.)

Migs 09-26-2003 05:58 AM

King's Quest 8: Mask of Eternity. No, just kidding...Grim Fandango.

DanteGR 09-26-2003 06:05 AM

I would have to agree with serialfreak.
GK 3.

D.C. 09-26-2003 11:39 AM

Good choice! :)

SirDave 09-26-2003 02:15 PM

Much as I love the Scumm games (MI 1-3 etc), I'll have to go along with polls taken by me personally showing that a majority of members of Mensa, individuals with degrees in higher learning and men & women of intelligence, integrity and Solomon-level wisdom everywhere that, in fact, RIVEN is the Greatest Adventure Game of All Time!

Okay, now have at me. ;)

The Adventurer 09-26-2003 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirDave
Much as I love the Scumm games (MI 1-4 etc), I'll have to go along with polls taken by me personally showing that a majority of members of Mensa, individuals with degrees in higher learning and men & women of intelligence, integrity and Solomon-level wisdom everwhere that, in fact, RIVEN is the Greatest Adventure Game of All Time!

Okay, now have at me. ;)

Zork: Nemesis was better.

remixor 09-26-2003 09:18 PM

Obviously, Stupid Invaders deserves the honor. Tamz, care to comment?

Pappapisshu 09-26-2003 10:29 PM

My personal favourite is Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars. I absolutely love the atmosphere of the game, the brilliant dialogues and the plot. A superb mystery, and combined with the amazing graphics and music, it's the best adventure game ever. It's just my type of game, fits me perfectly.

Though, this thread made me wanna play Grim Fandango more than ever. It's been five years or so since the last time. Oh, and I've been itching to play TLE for a long time as well. I really should import it, as soon as possible...

paul 09-27-2003 03:56 AM

Grim Fandango.

Tamara 09-27-2003 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remixor
Obviously, Stupid Invaders deserves the honor. Tamz, care to comment?

*grin* I think I've commented more than enough already :D

Bird 09-27-2003 09:48 PM

Yesterday, I finally finished Grim Fandango. And it is my new favourite. I already know that I'm gonna replay it a few times in the future. Those characters are just perfect!

I also loved MI2, GK1, DotT...(in no particular order)

Zanthia 09-29-2003 05:28 AM

did anyone mention bad mojo? ma y be its not the best game of all the times, but most originall one for sure.

pleto4_ryan 09-29-2003 10:17 PM

Last Grim Journey :P

Gabe 09-29-2003 11:50 PM

Greatest Adventure Game of All Time?

Well,i am humble against facts that is Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis !

Leonard Shelby 10-07-2003 09:49 AM

Blade Runner : defintively fascinating and immersive while being totally faithful to the movie :7

remixor 10-07-2003 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe
Well,i am humble against facts that is Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis !

Definitely a contender.

Zygomaticus 10-07-2003 10:25 AM

Y'know there should be an Academy Award for games where great games are awarded for their excellence :P

So instead of pulling random quotes off of random sites for their special edition boxes or websites, they can have "Winner of 3 Academy awards including Best Game" *D

Maybe I'm just day-dreaming :z

ClémentXVII 10-07-2003 10:27 AM

Zork Grand Inquisitor was a great one too!

remixor 10-07-2003 10:35 AM

Kr: the problem with that is that the age of adventures is largely over, and such awards probably wouldn't be retroactive ;) Yeah, so that's a selfish reason not to have them. Sue me.

Zygomaticus 10-07-2003 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remixor
Kr: the problem with that is that the age of adventures is largely over, and such awards probably wouldn't be retroactive ;) Yeah, so that's a selfish reason not to have them. Sue me.

Well the idea was to include all genres, just like the film Academy award includes all genres. :D

Given the games industry is relatively new, I'm such a thing will soon come up. Afterall, it took movies also some 10-15 years to get the Academy Award going, didn't it?

velvet_fireball 10-18-2003 07:21 AM

Well I think I'll take a leaf out of The Adventurer's book and list my top 5 (in no particular order).

Monkey Island 1 - because it's the first adventure game I ever played. I still play it now and still love it.

The Longest Journey - I just finished playing this game yesterday so I don't know whether it actually qualifies as one of my fave games because it's still fresh in my mind but right now I still love it.

Simon the Sorcerer - yeah I know it's not one of the best games out there but it's another one of those games that brings back memories from my childhood and it makes me laugh every time I play it.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - all I can say about this one is that it was fantastic, I loved the puzzles and thes storyline and it was great that there was a new Indiana Jones story besides the three movies (btw I'm not including all those Young Indiana tv shows with that).

Monkey Island 2 - Just as good as the first one. Largo was a nasty piece of work but his themetune is great. The ending was a bit confusing I know, didn't like the whole 'I'm really a kid' thing but that problem was solved in CMI.

Simon the Sorcerer 2 - Call me a sequel lover if you like, I'm really not. Some sequels really do suck but I liked this one because for one thing it re-visits one of my fave games and for another thing there's a lot of imagination in it. I always love the sort of games, tv shows and movies that take exisiting fables, fairytales and stories and make new stories from them or re-invent them.

Anyway I know my list might seem a bit rubbish compared to other peoples choices but I haven't played Grim Fandango or Day of the Tentacle so I can't vote for those but I'm sure they are great games if so many people are voting for them. I'll have to see if I can get a copy of GF but I can't say the same for Day of the Tentacle.

DomStLeger 10-18-2003 07:29 AM

hehe thats top 6 :)

try Gabriel Knight 3 or Broken Sword 1 for something different if you haven't already btw

Henke 10-18-2003 07:43 AM

Greatest Adventure Game of All Time?

Impossible to say.

Sanitarium, Monkey Island 2 or Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis.

twifkak 10-18-2003 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kode
Well the idea was to include all genres, just like the film Academy award includes all genres. :D

Well, the most popular game awards currently are the E3 Awards and the AIAS Awards.

Curt 10-18-2003 09:11 AM

As of right now I'd have to say The Pandora Directive, but my top 3 or 4 adventures tend to compete for top spot depending on how I feel at the time of answering the question (the others being Zork Nemesis, Spycraft and TLJ).

As for the greatest adventure game of all time - I'm extremely hopeful that it hasn't even been made yet. :)

Kingzjester 10-18-2003 09:22 AM

I don't know how ANYBODY could POSSIBLY nominate Grim Fandango with that off the wall, alarming, horrendous, ghastly, terrible, counterintuitive, disturbing, idiotic interface??!!1!?@@>?1!!!11one

(Don't worry Stinger - ol' buddy ol' pal - I've got you covered)

DomStLeger 10-18-2003 10:19 AM

Um Mr Kingzjester sir, um I happen to agree with him