Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Test your system to see if it can run Dreamfall! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/14386-test-your-system-see-if-can-run-dreamfall.html)

Dasilva 04-15-2006 12:04 PM

I have 2.0 GHz, they recommend 2.5 GHz, I could just overclock. :P

Other than that the rest is high.

Aj_ 04-15-2006 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceadventure
I still can´t believe that my geforce 3 won´t be able to run this game. Those people that ran the game on 64mb card what where the name of those cards?

The Funcom requirements say you could run this game on a Geforce 3. It probably won't be as pretty, and you'd probably want the more powerful versions of the Geforce 3, but there's a good chance it will run.

Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 can run on a Geforce 3(perhaps not as fast or as detailed as you'd like), and this game doesn't look as good, or seem to have the same detail as those games.

The Geforce 3 is getting on a bit now though, we're 5 generations ahead, it won't be shocking to me when they won't be able to run new games at minimum detail.

Huz 04-15-2006 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aj_
Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 can run on a Geforce 3

Doom 3 can run on a Voodoo 2. The results might leave a little to be desired, though! :P

Aj_ 04-15-2006 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huz
Doom 3 can run on a Voodoo 2. The results might leave a little to be desired, though!

An iPod can play Half-Life if you hack it enough ;)

Spiwak 04-15-2006 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avatar_58
That site is clueless, do not use it for anything. According to it I can run Oblivion on max....haha...sure. It only looks at your hardware tags and not really the real speed of your PC. It also only compares them to the box-requirements instead of what the game REALLY needs.

So in other words its entirely possible for it to claim a game will work and then it doesn't. Hell, I tried an old celeron on that site and it claimed it could run the newest games on a Geforce MX 4000....

Well I think you always have to use the simple Required/Recommended specs with caution as I doubt they see a lot of the quirks of each individual system that may affect performance. It's basically a handy and automated way to see the same list you'd see on the back of the box, but compared to your computer personally, which easily gives people an idea of what kinds of games they can play. I like it.

But I will say that it's lame that this site failed me for even the required specs for Dreamfall even when I passed the required specs of FEAR...I'm pretty sure the Aspyr specs are messed up because Dreamfall can't possibly be more demanding than FEAR. Although, like fairgdmother I failed solely because fo the video card even though I met the individual video requirements.

EDIT: What I'd like to see is the ability to import computer specs from computer websites, so you can see what games a computer you're looking to buy can play. Damn, that's a brilliant idea.

artwking4 04-15-2006 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin
It's been confirmed by people with the press demo that they've been able to run it with a 64MB card.

I thought I had heard that. What a relief!:D I didn't want to have to wait until I bought a new computer to play it (can't upgrade my laptop's graphics card).

Now, if only I could convince myself that Oblivion would run on my meager 64 MB...;) (if only there were a demo we could download)

WRMW 04-15-2006 03:06 PM

My computer failed the ASPYR requirements, but maybe, just maybe, my comp'll scrape by with funcom's...

Makes me wonder if I should save the headache and get the X-Box version... the only problem with that is I don't [yet] own an X-Box.

tabacco 04-15-2006 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WRMW
My computer failed the ASPYR requirements, but maybe, just maybe, my comp'll scrape by with funcom's...

Makes me wonder if I should save the headache and get the X-Box version... the only problem with that is I don't [yet] own an X-Box.

What're your system specs?

Litrick 04-15-2006 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceadventure
I still can´t believe that my geforce 3 won´t be able to run this game. Those people that ran the game on 64mb card what where the name of those cards?

Geforce 3 cards are very old now, they are 4 generations old, and do not support direct x 9.

You can get a card which will suffice relatively cheap... Nvidia 6600gt 128Mb or ATI radeon x800 128Mb... The game is optimised for ATI cards, so if you are buying a new card just for this game, May want to go with ATI

Quote:

Originally Posted by Litrick
The game is optimised for ATI cards, so if you are buying a new card just for this game, May want to go with ATI

Marketting nonsense. The game will work just as fast on Nvidia cards, just like every other game that stamps "ATI" or "NVIDIA" on them...

Litrick 04-15-2006 05:23 PM

Quote:

Marketting nonsense. The game will work just as fast on Nvidia cards, just like every other game that stamps "ATI" or "NVIDIA" on them...

Its not nonsense, just look at the 6th generation and half life 2 and doom 3. Valve worked with ATI, and Half life 2 ran 10 - 20% better on ATI cards at the time of release. And the exact opposite with NVIDIA and Id software, with doom running far better on Geforce cards.

Quote:

Its not nonsense, just look at the 6th generation and half life 2 and doom 3. Valve worked with ATI, and Half life 2 ran 10 - 20% better on ATI cards at the time of release. And the exact opposite with NVIDIA and Id software, with doom running far better on Geforce cards.

Actually most of the time the logo simply infers funding. However with a select few games it IS tweaked.

However in what way did it 'run faster'? I got my 6800GT before HL2 was released and it runs full speed w/ full detail. Same goes for the so called "ATI-level" as gabe called Lost Coast. So I don't understand how one could claim 20% speed boost over full frames.

As for Doom 3, thats just due to ATI's implementation of OpenGL. Most OpenGL games won't be embraced by ATI for good reason.

Litrick 04-15-2006 05:31 PM

Quote:

Actually most of the time the logo simply infers funding. However with a select few games it IS tweaked.

However in what way did it 'run faster'? I got my 6800GT before HL2 was released and it runs full speed w/ full detail. Same goes for the so called "ATI-level" as gabe called Lost Coast. So I don't understand how one could claim 20% speed boost over full frames.

As for Doom 3, thats just due to ATI's implementation of OpenGL. Most OpenGL games won't be embraced by ATI for good reason.

Benchmarks were 10 - 20% faster on ATI cards which were usually on par or slower than the Nvidia cards at the time. That is not to say that it ran badly on NVidia cards, as a 6800GT is easily fast enough to run the game will.
I agree most of the time it marketing, however if the programming house has actually worked with the Video card company, the game can be tweaked hugely to suit the rendering capabilites of a certain family of cards...

Dale Baldwin 04-15-2006 05:32 PM

And none of this changes the fact that Dreamfall will run with a 64MB card. :shifty:

Well considering a 6600 would most likely run Dreamfall on the highest settings, what possible gain is there from an ATI card? This isn't exactly a taxing game....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin
And none of this changes the fact that Dreamfall will run with a 64MB card. :shifty:

Exactly :)

Litrick 04-15-2006 05:38 PM

Quote:

Well considering a 6600 would most likely run Dreamfall on the highest settings, what possible gain is there from an ATI card? This isn't exactly a taxing game....

Exactly :)

Possibly a few more frames per sec... it makes sense if you are buying a new card for this game, to get the one recommened by the game maker dont you think?

Quote:

Possibly a few more frames per sec... it makes sense if you are buying a new card for this game, to get the one recommened by the game maker dont you think?

Actually I would go for the card that gives the most bang for your buck, regardless of the brand.

Litrick 04-15-2006 05:58 PM

Quote:

Actually I would go for the card that gives the most bang for your buck, regardless of the brand.

In which case the best option would be to wait and see how the game benchmarks :)

Intrepid Homoludens 04-15-2006 07:09 PM

:P According to that dumb 'test' I my laptop passed everything except graphics cards requirement. I think it's bullshit, I'll go by Funcom's specs.

Also, guys, don't worry so much. The absolutely most reliable test for your system.......is the Dreamfall demo itself, if you can wait for it. ;)

Melkor 04-15-2006 08:49 PM

I concur your excellency (sorry, having a bit of CivII flashbacks at the moment)