Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Best and Worst Clever Escape puzzle... (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/13912-best-worst-clever-escape-puzzle.html)

indyjones2131 03-19-2006 02:01 PM

Best and Worst Clever Escape puzzle...

Okay so worst would have to be BS2 escape from Central American prison due to the lack of imagination involved or any one that requires you to push the key out onto a sheet of paper under the door.

As for best...hmmm...CoMI's escape from the snake and quicksand was far fetched but fun.

What do you folks think?

indyjones2131 03-19-2006 07:43 PM

Is this some record? 61 views and 0 responses? : )

seebaruk 03-20-2006 01:49 AM

Don't worry, I'll respond! :)

This got me thinking of all those first person shooters like Duke, Shadow Warrior etc, where you get caught and imprisoned by the bad dudes. They always bung you in a cell that just happens to have a huge air vent, with a cover that you can easily just kick off. Duke went one further and had you start a level in an electric chair, but with no restraints so you just hop straight off grab a gun and kill everyone!

As for adventure games, Phantasmagoria's last chapter was basically one huge escape. I liked the bit where

Spoiler:
You're getting put in the chair of death and have to distract your husband, then you pull the lever and he gets a blade in the back :) Also it was cool running about discovering all the dead bodies

but it was kind of annoying when you're running away and the guy randomly pops up and captures you in some rooms, before you've got everything you need to survive. I think that chapter took me about 100 goes to get through.

AeroDMC 03-20-2006 02:30 AM

I'm a fan of Runaway's escape with Brian's help from the Transvestites... Those trannies ruled...

NcroManiac 03-20-2006 04:48 AM

Samuel Gordon escaping the mines only to find a wolf ---> Worst "clever" escape ever.

And the best one is the story gap between MI2 and MI3, IMO :D

stepurhan 03-20-2006 05:34 AM

Simplest - Escaping from God's dungeon if you swore in Quest for the Golden Eggcup
Spoiler:
You just dug in the sand.

Most Obscure - Escaping from God's dungeon if you swore a second time in Quest for the Golden Eggcup.
Spoiler:
Digging in the sand just revealed.... more sand. You had to work out a secret password to escape.

rocketpop 03-20-2006 08:22 AM

I think one of the strangest is the ending of MI2...

And, if I remember, that ending never got explained in the future series. :)

indyjones2131 03-20-2006 09:49 AM

My own question is driving me crazy!

I know I have played through some great prison escapes or near death escapes, but I can't think of many.

EvilMulder 03-20-2006 09:56 AM

Escaping from the pit of acid in Monkey Island 2 was pretty great.

Huz 03-20-2006 10:24 AM

Yeah, that was a great example where the apparatus for your escape was (literally!) all around you. It was just a matter of refining your solution until you succeeded.

I also like some of the escapes in Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis -
Spoiler:
breaking Sophia out of the Atlantean prison cell was nicely done. Of course, shortly afterwards you wished you hadn't bothered. ;)

Boneho Chane 03-20-2006 01:55 PM

Hahaha, I just remember the one in Monkey Island 1 where you were under the water tied to the ground and there were like 10 sharp object lying around you, and all but one were barely out of reach. I remember thinking, how was that even a puzzle? And laughed so hard. Another thing that was funny was if you waited long enough there he would drown.

I also loved the Broken Sword 1 with Khan and he's interogating you. Not going to give it away though.