Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Are you willing to pay $20 for Bone? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/10412-you-willing-pay-%2420-bone.html)

Maquisard 09-16-2005 11:37 AM

Are you willing to pay $20 for Bone?

Just to get a general idea of who on these forums will be buying Bone, please vote! :)

Maquisard 09-16-2005 11:53 AM

Interesting results so far. Would one of the mods please turn this into a public poll? 'Cause I forgot to. If everyone who voted so far doesn't mind, of course. :P

Also, please clarify if you indicated "other."

mag 09-16-2005 11:54 AM

I voted "Other" because I don't really know at this point. I haven't played the demo yet. So if I played it and really liked it, I might buy the full game. Especially since there probably won't be any other games worth buying for a while.

But I'm assuming that since this is all done over the internet, I would need a credit card to buy the full game. That might prove to be a problem since I have no credit. If I did, I'd probably be using it to play World of WarCrack instead of Bone. Also, I have to say that this game never really grabbed my interest that much to begin with. So right now I'm leaning toward "No."

mag

Kolzig 09-16-2005 12:01 PM

As I've already said, I will buy Bone, but not just yet. Possibly next week.

Ninth 09-16-2005 12:12 PM

I won't buy it. Too short, and the demo wasn't convincing in the least.

Maquisard 09-16-2005 12:13 PM

Looking at the poll so far, and seeing what percentage of people were turned off by the price, I'd say it's a safe bet Telltale would've made more money if the game was cheaper. I think a $15 price tag would've looked way more attractive. :frown:

tabacco 09-16-2005 12:16 PM

You don't need a credit card, actually... you can pay with paypal, with can do EFT transfers from checking accounts.

jamesfoti 09-16-2005 12:20 PM

i payed 20 dollard mainly because i wanted to support telltale the game is good but its no way worth 20 dollars they have to lower it if im going to buy the next episode.

AudioSoldier 09-16-2005 12:48 PM

I know it's all very well for me to be saying this considering I didn't have to buy my copy, but considering the fact that this is Telltale’s first title, I'm sure they wanted to push the price/value balance to the limit, and they may have exceeded this. Still, I think it’d be good to support this upstart development team – although many of the team-members are industry veterans – as it encourages further games, ones which will hopefully have their price lowered. I’ll mention in my review of the game that $20 is too steep.

jp-30 09-16-2005 01:16 PM

I wonder how many people complaining $20 is too steep are from the USA. I'd bet a disproprtionate amount. Due to the high competitiveness of the marketplace in the US I'd say game prices are deflated there. So being charged a game's true worth on an international scale seems out-of-place, simply because you have it so good with the off-the-shelf prices.

Where I live a full price PC game is about NZ$100 at release. US$20 translates to about NZ$27. So this Bone episode is a quarter of what I'd pay for a full game.

How about Australia, Europe etc? What do you generally pay for a new game off the shelf, and how doe the Bone price compare?

Also, let's put into perspective what else I could be doing with that NZ$27.

I could buy 2 pizzas from pizza hut.
I could take my daughter to a movie and maybe buy a bag of lollies (couldn't get 2 adult tickets for $27).
I could hire 3 new release DVDs
I could buy a new release CD (if I shopped around a little, they tend to start at NZ$34)
I could by a new release novel, maybe two.
I could buy 4 or 5 beers at a bar.
I could see some unknown local rock and roll band play at a dingy pub.

So as far as other forms of entertainment go (not that I find eating Pizza Hut particularly entertaining) the Bone purchase cost is highly comparable value for money.

Richard 09-16-2005 01:18 PM

There's no point comparing forms of entertainment pound for pound and hour for hour. It's apples, oranges and rollercoasters. It's the experience that matters, and whether you judge it to be worth Amount X of your money.

AudioSoldier 09-16-2005 01:20 PM

I live in South Africa. Here, games retail at R300, plus, minus. If it's Microsoft, it's usually R100 more.

Bone, in converted terms, is R120. That's -- well, do the maths will ya -- of a full-priced game. Seems pretty decent to me; OK, maybe a tad expensive. I feel R90 would be more in order.

Kolorabi 09-16-2005 01:24 PM

I'm kind of wondering if I should wait for the inevitable "buy two episodes for the price of one!" offer... :)

Seriously, though, I haven't decided yet. When people say they complete it in 2 hours I fear I won't get my money's worth here.

AudioSoldier 09-16-2005 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kolorabi
I'm kind of wondering if I should wait for the inevitable "buy two episodes for the price of one!" offer... :)

Seriously, though, I haven't decided yet. When people say they complete it in 2 hours I fear I won't get my money's worth here.

I suppose I should get that review up-and-running -- though I need to play the game to the end -- but I'm too darn lazy right now. I'll try and finish the game tonight. Then, I'll let you guys know my thoughts.

Btw: It's already 11 32 PM here, so I'll be playing shortly.

The Seed 09-16-2005 01:44 PM

I paid the $20 asking price, and although it's not quite what I was hoping for, I do not regret the purchase.

As far as the next episode is concerned, yes I would need to see improvement / changes in the game design before I could be convinced to cough up another $20. If it's the same quality as this one, then I would probably settle for $10 - $15, as I am perfectly happy with the story telling side of the game and would be interested in seeing how they adapt the next one. It's just the gameplay side I have issues with.

Coop 09-16-2005 01:46 PM

i bought it, but i think it's too high. look how cheap Half Life 2:Aftermath is

http://www.hlfallout.net/comments.php?id=8118

Quote:

Aftermath will be the first big test of that philosophy. The game will ship over Steam this year, most likely in November, and will have an incredibly reasonable purchase price of $12.95.
bone is really short and unless the next episode is longer i wont buy it

draino1 09-16-2005 01:57 PM

The question is.........how long are you willing to wait on the game to download? I think that until high-speed Internet access becomes more available, this kind of game purchase will limit their sales. I (with a 30Kbps connection speed) won't be playing unless it appears on the retail shelf. And that's sad!

Udvarnoky 09-16-2005 02:23 PM

It's worth 20 bucks.

AudioSoldier 09-16-2005 02:45 PM

Valve can afford to price Aftermath at $12. Telltale needs to make some sort of profit, bearing in mind they're not absolutely sure this sort of game -- an adventure one -- will sell. Nonetheless, they'd have done better pricing Bone at $15.

Juanxo 09-16-2005 02:47 PM

Yeah, it is worth the $20

What is the point of this poll?

Especially when there is one positive option, two negative ones and one ambiguous one.

Little biased there, bub?

What does

I am not willing to buy it for $20 but I will

mean anyway?

And where is the

Yes I am willing to buy it for $20 and I will

option?