You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Are you willing to pay $20 for Bone?

View Poll Results: Have you / will you pay full price for Bone?
I already have 31 24.03%
I haven't yet, but I will! 27 20.93%
No, I won't! 50 38.76%
Other 21 16.28%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2005, 11:37 AM   #1
Citizen of Bizarro World

Default Are you willing to pay $20 for Bone?

Just to get a general idea of who on these forums will be buying Bone, please vote!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 09-16-2005, 11:53 AM   #2
Citizen of Bizarro World

Interesting results so far. Would one of the mods please turn this into a public poll? 'Cause I forgot to. If everyone who voted so far doesn't mind, of course.

Also, please clarify if you indicated "other."

Old 09-16-2005, 11:54 AM   #3
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

I voted "Other" because I don't really know at this point. I haven't played the demo yet. So if I played it and really liked it, I might buy the full game. Especially since there probably won't be any other games worth buying for a while.

But I'm assuming that since this is all done over the internet, I would need a credit card to buy the full game. That might prove to be a problem since I have no credit. If I did, I'd probably be using it to play World of WarCrack instead of Bone. Also, I have to say that this game never really grabbed my interest that much to begin with. So right now I'm leaning toward "No."

mag
Old 09-16-2005, 12:01 PM   #4
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

As I've already said, I will buy Bone, but not just yet. Possibly next week.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.

Last edited by Kolzig; 09-16-2005 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:12 PM   #5

I won't buy it. Too short, and the demo wasn't convincing in the least.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:13 PM   #6
Citizen of Bizarro World

Looking at the poll so far, and seeing what percentage of people were turned off by the price, I'd say it's a safe bet Telltale would've made more money if the game was cheaper. I think a $15 price tag would've looked way more attractive.

Old 09-16-2005, 12:16 PM   #7
Friendly Server Admin

You don't need a credit card, actually... you can pay with paypal, with can do EFT transfers from checking accounts.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:20 PM   #8
Banned User

Send a message via MSN to jamesfoti

i payed 20 dollard mainly because i wanted to support telltale the game is good but its no way worth 20 dollars they have to lower it if im going to buy the next episode.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:48 PM   #9

I know it's all very well for me to be saying this considering I didn't have to buy my copy, but considering the fact that this is Telltale’s first title, I'm sure they wanted to push the price/value balance to the limit, and they may have exceeded this. Still, I think it’d be good to support this upstart development team – although many of the team-members are industry veterans – as it encourages further games, ones which will hopefully have their price lowered. I’ll mention in my review of the game that $20 is too steep.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:16 PM   #10

I wonder how many people complaining $20 is too steep are from the USA. I'd bet a disproprtionate amount. Due to the high competitiveness of the marketplace in the US I'd say game prices are deflated there. So being charged a game's true worth on an international scale seems out-of-place, simply because you have it so good with the off-the-shelf prices.

Where I live a full price PC game is about NZ$100 at release. US$20 translates to about NZ$27. So this Bone episode is a quarter of what I'd pay for a full game.

How about Australia, Europe etc? What do you generally pay for a new game off the shelf, and how doe the Bone price compare?

Also, let's put into perspective what else I could be doing with that NZ$27.

I could buy 2 pizzas from pizza hut.
I could take my daughter to a movie and maybe buy a bag of lollies (couldn't get 2 adult tickets for $27).
I could hire 3 new release DVDs
I could buy a new release CD (if I shopped around a little, they tend to start at NZ$34)
I could by a new release novel, maybe two.
I could buy 4 or 5 beers at a bar.
I could see some unknown local rock and roll band play at a dingy pub.

So as far as other forms of entertainment go (not that I find eating Pizza Hut particularly entertaining) the Bone purchase cost is highly comparable value for money.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:18 PM   #11

There's no point comparing forms of entertainment pound for pound and hour for hour. It's apples, oranges and rollercoasters. It's the experience that matters, and whether you judge it to be worth Amount X of your money.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:20 PM   #12

I live in South Africa. Here, games retail at R300, plus, minus. If it's Microsoft, it's usually R100 more.

Bone, in converted terms, is R120. That's -- well, do the maths will ya -- of a full-priced game. Seems pretty decent to me; OK, maybe a tad expensive. I feel R90 would be more in order.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:24 PM   #13

I'm kind of wondering if I should wait for the inevitable "buy two episodes for the price of one!" offer...

Seriously, though, I haven't decided yet. When people say they complete it in 2 hours I fear I won't get my money's worth here.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolorabi
I'm kind of wondering if I should wait for the inevitable "buy two episodes for the price of one!" offer...

Seriously, though, I haven't decided yet. When people say they complete it in 2 hours I fear I won't get my money's worth here.
I suppose I should get that review up-and-running -- though I need to play the game to the end -- but I'm too darn lazy right now. I'll try and finish the game tonight. Then, I'll let you guys know my thoughts.

Btw: It's already 11 32 PM here, so I'll be playing shortly.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:44 PM   #15
Irritant F0rum Beasty

I paid the $20 asking price, and although it's not quite what I was hoping for, I do not regret the purchase.

As far as the next episode is concerned, yes I would need to see improvement / changes in the game design before I could be convinced to cough up another $20. If it's the same quality as this one, then I would probably settle for $10 - $15, as I am perfectly happy with the story telling side of the game and would be interested in seeing how they adapt the next one. It's just the gameplay side I have issues with.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 09-16-2005, 01:46 PM   #16
I needed a dare

i bought it, but i think it's too high. look how cheap Half Life 2:Aftermath is

http://www.hlfallout.net/comments.php?id=8118

Quote:
Aftermath will be the first big test of that philosophy. The game will ship over Steam this year, most likely in November, and will have an incredibly reasonable purchase price of $12.95.
bone is really short and unless the next episode is longer i wont buy it
Old 09-16-2005, 01:57 PM   #17
Pure AGer

The question is.........how long are you willing to wait on the game to download? I think that until high-speed Internet access becomes more available, this kind of game purchase will limit their sales. I (with a 30Kbps connection speed) won't be playing unless it appears on the retail shelf. And that's sad!
Old 09-16-2005, 02:23 PM   #18

It's worth 20 bucks.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:45 PM   #19

Valve can afford to price Aftermath at $12. Telltale needs to make some sort of profit, bearing in mind they're not absolutely sure this sort of game -- an adventure one -- will sell. Nonetheless, they'd have done better pricing Bone at $15.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:47 PM   #20

Yeah, it is worth the $20

What is the point of this poll?

Especially when there is one positive option, two negative ones and one ambiguous one.

Little biased there, bub?

What does

I am not willing to buy it for $20 but I will

mean anyway?

And where is the

Yes I am willing to buy it for $20 and I will

option?