View Single Post
Old 12-09-2004, 08:47 AM   #26
maladroid
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

Good job, there Emily. I really liked the amount of honesty you seem to have reponed (is that correst? Polylexicon translated that for me, hadn't heard the word before myself ) in it.

I think growing up does spoil the fun mainly because you always have something to do and can't help but feel kind of "guilty" when sitting in front of the PC for hours practically doing nothing productive but roaming through landscape screens birdwatching while you should be solving mind boggling puzzles!

Anyway I never was much of a patient gamer but things have definitely gonne worse during the last 2-3 years. I remember spending my whole Christmas hollidays sucking every bit out of Day of the Tentacle, not having the option of using Internet help. I only broke in front of the "squeeky mattress" puzzle, convincing myself to consult a walkthrough I dug up from a Net Cafe.
Ahhh...The days... Maybe this whole light-hearted approach with which we approached the whole adventure gaming bussiness was the reason we didn't mind putting all our time and effort trying to get every last drip they had to offer out of them (oh and the abundance of leisure time too, I guess).
I don't know, maybe this adult approach with which we compell ourselves to play a game spoils the fun. I mean I "love" playing games but when I was a kid I had tons of other options in what to do with my spare time, yet *chose* to invest it all into an adventure game which was then becoming my main interest for as long as it lasted. Nowadays I also choose to devote my limited spare time into a game but I feel like I somewhat *owe* it to myself, to the little untameable gamer still hiding in hybernation inside me. Maybe we're trying too hard to have fun with games, maybe I could just use some sex.. Dunno.

It could also be the vast amount of interesting games out there that won't let you have a moment's peace. I just find myself wanting to try so many different games (and I don't necessarily mean adventures) just to torture myself with lack of sleep or social life since the "legitimate" spare time of my day is too limited for rampant gaming..

Sorry for the "group therapy testimony", I just thought I'd share. I "know" you people for ages now but couldn't let myself open up till now.

Pan at will. There, I'll even make it easier for you

texallos

Proud supporter of Tex Murphy - Project Fedora

Last edited by maladroid; 12-09-2004 at 09:10 AM.