Thread: Reader reviews
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2004, 07:27 PM   #14
EasilyConfused
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Yes, that would partially address the issue of irresponsible voting, but it does indeed create a logistical monster.

I'm not at all completely opposed to giving people the opportunity to express their opinions and even give a score. And maybe we can think of a forum-based possibility for that. I mean, that's what they're for - talking about games (and other things).

But at some point, we draw the line and say our reviewers are chosen and developed to represent the public voice of AG on a particular game. We all have biases, but our reviewers are responsibe to present a balanced, professional view, and that simply deserves a place of its own.
I completely see your point. You have very well-written, polished AG reviews that should stand on their own and get full attention from readers.

In terms of other formal ways to express views about games, it seems to me without knowing anything about how your software works that the easiest way to offer a reader-review supplement to AG reviews (I know there already ARE reader reviews, but the segment of the forum seems a little underutilized) would be to create a set of sticky threads in alpha order for game comments with an attached poll rating the games on a star-type system. Can you set it up that way, and can you require users to post in order to vote in a poll? (I don't know if you can get a mean from the poll data--if not, people might have to be content with seeing the poll numbers.) More casual chit-chat about the latest games could be in the Adventure Games section, or you could create a separate forum section for the poll/comments on games. And by keeping the game "ratings" in the forum, you ensure that not everyone who reads the site can simply come along and click a button before going on his or her merry way. Not that registration is so hard, but it takes time and pulls people into the AdventureGamers community (if that's a goal!)

Again, I have no idea if this is something you want to do, and I'm not wedded to it or passionate about it or anything--it was SD's suggestion. I think it's potentially a good one if people use it, but if it's a nightmare for you all and/or nobody posts, it's a waste. Anyway, food for thought.

Speaking of food for thought, I know it's just an avatar, but it's much more difficult to take "you" seriously with that candy cane in "your" mouth. It detracts from the dignity of Anubis. I really like it though. Good job, Emily!