Thread: Reader reviews
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2004, 11:32 AM   #5
Jake
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
It works well in other websites (I usually take Reader's reviews for movies in Yahoo than critics reviews). What you said is correct, but usually the extremes average out, and you usually get a fair score
It only takes two hours to see a movie, and a lot of people go see it opening night... That's not so much the case with AG's. I can see where you're coming from on this though.

I've just noticed that Gamespot is trying this right now, they have a reader review score that is gigantic - bigger than the actual review score! - and the score is usually far higher than the score of the actual reviewer, I suspect because people are excited by the game and rate it super high, or because they don't understand what leads a Gamespot reviewer to award a particular point value and just go arbitrary.

While I think reader input is important, I worry that displaying reader scores on the same page as official reviews will lessen and dilute the value of the review more than it will really help readers (or at best it won't help them any more than just taking a look at the reviews on JA, Four Fat Chicks, Gamespot, etc). But that's just my opinion

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens