Thread: Reader reviews
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2004, 11:27 AM   #3
Jake
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

I like that idea in theory, but I think on the whole it would lead to a lot of sort of fanboy-ish polarizing of "this game is amazing... 9.5!!!" or "this game isn't even an adventure (or alternatively "this is an FMV adventure?!?!?) ... 2.5!!!" which wouldn't really educate readers all that much. I think if people want other opinions they can ask in the forums, or read existing threads (or read or request other reader reviews/opinions of we the forumites) or - heaven forbid - take a look at some reviews on the other adventure sites to see how they stack up.

The other problem I see with this is that I suspect reader review scoring for newly released titles that most people haven't played rarely actually reflect the readers' opinions on the games (since in the first couple days nearly nobody has played the game yet!) but instead reflect the feeling they have from previews, hype, screenshots, or reflect their reaction to the review they just read. Again, not too helpful.

That said, I agree that it's worth discussing, I think.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens