View Single Post
Old 12-03-2004, 05:45 AM   #25
stepurhan
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolorabi
If they haven't played the game, how can they claim that Halo 2 is worse than Far Cry or Painkiller. How can they say Gunslinger Girls is worse than Bloodrayne 2? Or that Shadow Heart is worse than Vampire? It's okay to think that a game is violent, but as soon as you start saying it's more violent than another, you'd better have some proof.
Fair comment. There is a distinction between saying these are violent games and saying they are the most violent. Realistically I think that compiling a genuine list of the most violent games would be next to impossible because of the sheer volume of games coming out. No-one has time to play all of them long enough to get a valid comparison. The problem is with the "Worst" part of the title but you can't deny all of the games listed are pretty violent.
Quote:
This, like many other things with the list, indicates that it's not well-researched, and therefore useless.
I still see this as a simple transcription error. If they'd called the title by a completely inaccurate name, say "Mortal Combat : Conception" then that might be different. But there are many tests that show the brain will sometimes interpret what it expects to see rather than what's there. Non-gamers just expect the word to be Combat not Kombat After all, the minimal research to flag the game as "potentially violent" would generate the correct title so it's hardly a question of lacking major research.

Quote:
I think that it's just as important to make sure that your accusations are correct. It wouldn't be very nice of me to pick ten forum members, pretty much at random, and claiming they are "The ten most dishonest adventuregamers" or something like that. This group is making accussations, and they do not have the evidence to back them up. Assuming something (for example that Hitman: Blood Money will be more violent than Bloodrayne 2) isn't enough.
Again, this is the problem of the "Worst" part of the title. If you were to put together a list of forum members at random then you'd have no knowledge to base your dishonesty accusation on. The games listed may not be the "worst" but I don't think we can deny that they are violent. They are therefore accurately accusing the games of being violent but are on dodgy ground saying they are more violent than anything else available.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree