View Single Post
Old 12-02-2004, 01:37 PM   #22
stepurhan
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolorabi
This is an interesting read: http://www.buzzcut.com/article.php?s...41123222310861

I followed up with a simple question, “Who on this panel has played which of the games?”

Burke answered first, “I haven’t played any of them.” She backed up her willful ignorance of the games by suggesting that she didn’t need to read Soldier of Fortune to know that she was opposed to its glorification of killing. “I think it’s an irrelevant question,” she concluded.

Another panelist, Pat Wolf, executive director of the ICCR, took the opportunity to suggest that the ESRB raters didn’t play the games either. They simply watched submitted footage.

Finally, Pamela Eakes, president and founder, Mothers Against Violence in America, offered that she had reviewed play of GTA: San Andreas and Halo 2 for about 6 hours. Her answer was not clear in terms of how she reviewed the games or with whom.
So you have to play a game to have an opinion about it? It just seems to me that on the Kill JFK thread we had a lot of people condemning a game they hadn't played. (Though some did download the demo to check their gut reaction to the idea was correct, which I greatly admire) I'm sure someone will argue that it's not the same thing at all but it's all really just a matter of scale. These people just have a broader idea of what they find unacceptable in a game. This would also explain the inclusion of Hitman:Blood Money. I don't think any of us need to see it to know it's not going to be about cuddling fluffy bunnies.

As for the Kombat/Combat thing are we seriously criticising someone for accidentally typing a real word instead of one a games company made up? Give me a break. Like none of us have ever made a typo.

But the errors on the "Non-Violent" list are less forgivable. If you're going to promote something you should ALWAYS check that your claims are valid.

The real question is just how large a group of people we're talking about here. Is it just 5 people who've come up with Society names or half the world? I suspect it's just a vociferous minority but if it's a larger movement maybe we need to think about doing more to defend our hobby against them.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree