View Single Post
Old 11-20-2004, 01:56 PM   #20
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert
Well what kind of game is it then? I read a review once but it wasn't very clarifying on how the game actually is played.
It's kind of... a platform game minus the platforms. Like Mario 64. 3D, you walk around a big world, fighting when needs be, sometimes driving vehicles, sometimes playing mini-games...

You should get it even if you're not a fan of platform games though, I usually can't stand platformers, and I love this game. It's all about the characters and the story and the environment, although the gameplay too is very fun. It's just awesome in every way, basically
Erm....well, it looks like a platformer, but that's where it ends.

Let's see.....take a classic adventure game and rip out the stupidly placed puzzles and dumb hotspots...set a foundation with a solid story of conspiracy, war, and truths...revamp the whole thing in a lush, deceptively near cartoon-like 3D world complete with its own little history and multiracial populace...add simplified multi-genre influences like RPG level ups and currency systems, fantasy racing games, platformers, strategy games, adventures, stealth action, and environmental puzzles...mix in some non-linearity in how items like money and goods are acquired and options to spend time exploring, talking to people, and buying/getting things...throw in a camera and optional main quest to photograph as many planetary species as possible for money...and finally, spice it all up by adding a usable hovercraft/spaceship, pearls, hip music, goat/human orphans, martial arts combat, a table hockey game, K-bups, weird but cute flora and fauna, a lighthouse, a pig, green lipstick, and = VOILA!!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien