View Single Post
Old 11-10-2004, 01:07 PM   #35
Starflux
A Servicable Villain

Quote:
And it seems to me that most of these complaints about FF7 really stem from a general bias against that style of RPG. I guess that should be expected on a forum about adventure games since adventure gamers tend to heavily favor PC games. But that still doesn't make it a fair criticism. We don't like it when idiot reviewers give adventure games bad ratings simply because they're adventure games. And it's just as wrong to bash Final Fantasy VII for being what it is. If you don't like the genre, that's fine. But there's no denying that FF7 is one of the best games in that genre.
You are claiming things I never said. I am not the stereotypical 'adventuregamer' that can't adjust to any other genre. Now it may very well be that my gripes with Final Fantasy are really also the gripes I have with the whole genre, but does that matter for the argument? Can a game justify its flaws just by saying: ,,look, the rest has those flaws too!"? I think it is you who are deceiving yourself with this argument. I judge a game not by its genre but look at it with an open mind. And then I find flaws that may or may not be prominent in the whole genre, but that are undeniably in the game itself. Now a game doesn't HAVE to be perfect, but this game still has in my eyes all the flaws that I pointed out earlier, and they are still not refuted by any reasonable arguments. And since those millions of apostles are still in the stern belief that FFVII is The Greatest Game Ever, but can't seem to find any valid point to defend it with (also see my rant on Capt. August), I have no choice but to go on with my mild attacks until something finally gives.