View Single Post
Old 11-06-2004, 12:26 PM   #19
RLacey
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
The thing is, once you combine the two, STOP THINKING OF IT in typical conservative adventure game mindset. It's practically a new subgenre of adventure.
Oh, I'd be interested to see it done, but there are so many potential problems that I can think of.

Incidentally, I don't actually believe that I have a 'conservative adventure game mindset' (whatever that may be). I play a lot of games, of which more are not adventure games than are. I played, and thoroughly enjoyed, both Knights of the Old Republic and Deus Ex: Invisble War, and only haven't played Fable because I don't own an XBox. I enjoyed Beyond Good and Evil, even if I felt that the sneaking mechanics were fundamentally flawed. What you suggest is certainly an interesting idea, but your comments on the 'conservative adventure game mindset' have me confused. Who is this game supposed to be appealing to? The adventure-orientated market? The RPG players? Or simply to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Well, I don't mind travelling back and forth, and I'm sure some others feel similar. In fact, sometimes when I do I discover something new that I missed the first time. That's the thing, allow the game to be subtle enough so that you have these options, that you could have a reason to go back and look harder, have the game reward you for that. Besides, you could do it like Fable and have the option of warping back instantly to key places you've already been to.
You've missed my point. It's perfectly fair that you should enjoy discovering optional things. But if you allow people to drop inventory items, then you limit the number of situations open to the designer without making the game impossible to solve. You can forget about jailbreak situations, or being temporarily stuck in one area, for instance, unless all the objects can be found within that area.

I'd love to be proved wrong. I'd love someone to develop a game like this that both worked and appealed to adventure game and RPG players. But there are some really serious hurdles to get over first.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.