View Single Post
Old 11-04-2004, 12:38 PM   #38
stepurhan
Freeware Co-ordinator

Rise of the Dragon (it's mentioned in the Sierra's Buried Treasures thread) had multiple endings from an upbeat you saved the girl and defeated the villain ending to your giving up a letting the girl die and the villain get away.

Also Black Dahlia had more than one way the final scene could play out (though only one of them was acknowledged as "The End")

When we talk about multiple endings are we only considering the grand finale? As long as they're well-written and not set up to frustrate the player (sudden unexpected death syndrome ) I think failure endings can enhance the game experience. I get annoyed with characters telling me they can't/won't do something. Who's supposed to be in charge here anyway? It's nice when programmers allow you to do something you know is a bad idea and see the results. I still remember opening the hold door at the start of Prisoners of Ice knowing there was a deadly supernatural creature imprisoned within (why, yes it did come through the door and kill me immediately now you ask. )
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree