View Single Post
Old 11-03-2004, 10:37 AM   #25
remixor
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMaster
I've been reviewing music since 1999 (and I mean indie, metal, hardcore, screamo, etc), I've heard thousands and thousands of bands and The Mars Volta don't impress me one bit. They lack what is commonly regarded as 'rhytm', they are just able to throw in whatever skill they have for a rather boring pot pourry of 'acceleration, deceleration, stop, acceleration, deceleration, stop'. I'm much more excited by songs written in 6/8, technical solos and production worth of it's name (many indie italian bands produce their own records, Lush Rimbaud are one of the best around).

And Rick Rubin sucks
I don't know man, I think their rhythm is amazing. They clearly know how to play with a straight beat, but they often break out of standard time signatures and play with incredibly complex rhythmic structures. If we're breaking out credentials, I guess I can say I've been a music student for several years now and I can absolutely say without the slightest hint of doubt that having listened to all three of The Mars Volta's recordings and seen them live that they have an impeccable sense of rhythm. Criticizing frequent tempo changes and the like (which actually isn't nearly as common as you'd think; they more just change dynamics often, not as often tempo) doesn't convince me because I think it's admirable that they actually can change dynamics so fluidly, unlike most rock bands out there who will always keep the same time signature the entire song and stay in basically the same dynamic range the entire song. Obviously the band knows how to play their instruments far better than most rock musicians, and their singer obviously has one of the better ranges out there, not to mention amazing vocal control.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright