Thread: The Neverhood
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2004, 12:31 AM   #6
MDMaster
Evil Webmaster

If you looked at Ebay and searched for the Neverhood, you'd see there was something wrong with your review. I just saw a cd only version of the game (that means, no manual, no box) sold at more than 50$. This is because no matter how much frustrating the puzzles or lenghty the hall of records, The Neverhood is undeniably fun. Even that making of video is fun to watch; ok, it's obviously a kind of childish humour, but it's not definitely a game I would recommend to kids.

Btw did you forget to mention the music or you were playing with mute sound? The 'Imaginarium' cd by Terry S. Taylor (which contains soundtrack for The Neverhood, Skullmonkeys and Boombots) usually sells at around 60$, and the original Neverhood cd soundtrack is way out of print. That is one of the best game soundtrack to date, not only because it perfectly adheres to the clay world and humour, but it's much much fun to listen to even without playing.

Of course all this Ebayish crap doesn't mean the Neverhood is perfect. Actually I hated the puzzles too (although I was very amused by the Hall of Records) and it just felt like some amateurish attempt at serious adventure gaming. But in that resides the beauty of the Neverhood, in it's funny and lovable characters (Willy is just great), in it's great music and overall 'clay' ambience. Definitely a game everyone should try, but not one that everybody will like.
So there you go