Thread: Project Syzygy
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2004, 02:32 PM   #9
nashcarey

I found this web site recently. There I found another site, www.rgalliance.com. They had an opt-in list in the lower right hand corner of the page, and I entered my info. Most of the time I would never give out info like that, but the reason they wanted it sounded pretty cool to me. Since it was free, I had nothing to lose.

They are a group of sites that specialize in Alternate Reality Gaming. Alternate Reality games are interactive far more than any game you will ever play. They can mail, email, instant-message, call, fax, text-message, or even use real world encounters to bring you into the game.

It was about 8:45 p.m. last night and I was just about to go to bed. Then I got a phone call. The person on the end said, “I am sorry to reach you like this, but you have to know, I am in danger and you are likely the only one who can help me.” Mind you, I have entered my info into that site a week ago so I didn’t remember to be on the look out for strange calls like this. The voice told me that he couldn’t talk more, but I could reach him at an email address. I emailed and got an automated response which was very cryptic and after some work I discovered a website. The website appeared to be a normal every day site for a micro-transmitter in development. The story kept bringing me in with different forms of interaction and now I am hooked.

There are a few places people go to play these games as a group. Usually the puzzles are extremely difficult and require collective effort to solve them. The two sites people are using at the moment are www.immersionunlimited.com and www.metaunlimited.com. They have chat rooms and the people seem pretty nice enough to help you along and learn how to play.

I intend to post more here, I just thought you would like to know what I found in the mean time.