Thread: Black Mirror
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2004, 02:01 AM   #91
timcclayton
23 Railway Cuttings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMaster
I admit I was a bit overreacting, but one can't deny that the 'CBL' idea is one of the worse to come up in recent adventure games.
I know exactly what you mean, but in the realism stakes this is the sensible way to go. I mean, how many days in your life have you picked up everything that isn't nailed down, put it in your jacket/bag and wandered off to solve normal everyday problems (e.g. supposing your car gets a flat tyre - "oh thank god I picked up the wheel jack and put it in my inside jacket pocket this morning otherwise I would be screwed!") ???!

I know we are used to picking up everything possible that's lying around in adventure games, but I think that is approaching the puzzles in the wrong way. In a game (as in life), you should be looking at a puzzle and deciding which objects will help you best and then rounding those items up to solve the puzzle (game design is critical in these instances - the objects need to be fairly easily accessible, otherwise frustration ensues).

If you are arguing that it needs to be carefully/better implemented then I agree with you wholeheartedly (although I don't remember having to run through hundreds of screens in Black Mirror to pick up one useful object, so I think the design in this particular game was fairly sensible).