Thread: Black Mirror
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2004, 07:43 AM   #68
Sanjuro2
Movie Buff & Gamer

Send a message via AIM to Sanjuro2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
...and I believe there is such a thing as objectively good.
This was all you needed to say Ninth. I completely agree. You and I think very much alike, I'm just far too outspoken and you seem more reserved. :-) Basically, this was what I meant when I said that one can say Bergman sucks, but not objectively. Perhaps I'm not clear enough in my methods... The objective value of things is precisely what I attempt to defend. A lot of people don't care about films (or whatever art form) enough to judge in any way other than subjectively. As long as they don't pretend to be scholars on the subject, then that's ok.

Ninth, surely you understand why this started? That kid MDMaster stated that no one could deny that Black Mirror was better than Syberia. When one makes a statement like THAT, then yes, it needs to be backed up. Of course, my advantage was that I knew it COULDN'T be backed up. And sure enough, MDMaster revealed that his understanding of the subject matter in Syberia was at a very juvenile level. I wasn't mocking him or badmouthing him simply because he didn't like Syberia. I was simply proving how absurd his statement was by revealing how little he actually understood about the game. One should certainly know what they are talking about before making a statement like: "No one can deny that Black Mirror is BETTER than Syberia."

Someone who says something like that just asking for it...so I delivered on my end. But Ninth, just so you know, I find you to be a very reasonable person. :-)